We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

In case there's still any confusion, here's a quote from the article:

"The Bills still don’t have a lot of money to spend the remainder of this offseason. They should have roughly between $3-4 million between right now and August to use on any remaining free agents, on top of their draft choices."

The one thing left that could change this are extensions for Glenn and Gilmore. It is reasonable to me that each of those will open roughly $2M.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing left that could change this are extensions for Glenn and Gilmore. It is reasonable to me that each of those will open roughly $2M.

I did a projection on it here http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/185098-we-have-the-worst-cap-situation-in-the-league/page-28?do=findComment&comment=3891541

I'm figuring $5M in cap space created between the two deals.

Which means that they should feel free to spend about $5M of their current $7.5M in space on FAs, knowing that the money they need to sign draft picks will come from Glenn/Gilmore extensions.

I did a projection on it here http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/185098-we-have-the-worst-cap-situation-in-the-league/page-28?do=findComment&comment=3891541

I'm figuring $5M in cap space created between the two deals.

Which means that they should feel free to spend about $5M of their current $7.5M in space on FAs, knowing that the money they need to sign draft picks will come from Glenn/Gilmore extensions.

Thoughts on Reggie Nelson next to AW? His price tag has to be going down. He's a little older but maybe something similar to the RI deal? Just a thought

Thoughts on Reggie Nelson next to AW? His price tag has to be going down. He's a little older but maybe something similar to the RI deal? Just a thought

I'm not in a hurry to sign a safety--there are a few guys that I really like in the middle rounds of the draft.

I'd be plenty comfortable with waiting until round 4 and taking any of Justin Simmons, AJ Stamps, DeAndre Houston Carson, or maybe even your boy Byard.

and Brees one of the only QBs not agreeing to a new deal to reduce his cap number.

brees is a douche......this is the same guy who as a leader of the players union turned a blind eye not once, but twice to a bounty scheme to injure other players.

FTR, it's the Saints that "have the worst cap situation in the league".

That tends to happen when you're A) paying a QB big money who can play the position and B) when you're trying to surround that QB with talent because the goal is winning the SB.

The Bills are paying punter money to their QB and still have major issues, the result of mortgaging their future last off-season. New Orleans may have made mistakes, but the Bills are worse for not paying a QB and having a very similar level problem.

That tends to happen when you're A) paying a QB big money who can play the position and B) when you're trying to surround that QB with talent because the goal is winning the SB.

The Bills are paying punter money to their QB and still have major issues, the result of mortgaging their future last off-season. New Orleans may have made mistakes, but the Bills are worse for not paying a QB and having a very similar level problem.

Yup. Also keep in context the Bills are in this situation without even a single playoff appearance and a below .500 record in trading off the future for present success which hasn't even happened (Whaley's tenure thus far).

Even though the Saints have been in cap hell too and for several years at least it payed off with a superbowl and a sustainable run of playoff appearances.

The Saints situation just reminds me of how excellent the front office of the Patriots are. They strive for the perfect balance of sustainability and it shows year after year.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Yup. Also keep in context the Bills are in this situation without even a single playoff appearance and a below .500 record in trading off the future for present success which hasn't even happened (Whaley's tenure thus far).

Even though the Saints have been in cap hell too and for several years at least it payed off with a superbowl and a sustainable run of playoff appearances.

The Saints situation just reminds me of how excellent the front office of the Patriots are. They strive for the perfect balance of sustainability and it shows year after year.

The Patriots will look brilliant right up until Brady retires.

The Saints didn't enter "cap hell" until after the Super Bowl victory--they had to purge players left and right last offseason. Here's a list of starters that have left the organization one way or another the last 2 offseasons:

Jimmy Graham

Jahri Evans

Ben Grubbs

Darren Sproles

Pierre Thomas

Marques Colston

Brandon Browner

Junior Gallette

And for their troubles, they've had three 7-9 seasons out of the last four. That's not a sustainable run of playoff appearances--it's a single playoff appearance surrounded by below-average performance.

You are amazing....with every post you show your ignorance, lack of vision, and total all in of your crusade

The bills ran off a DIFFERENT model because their simple were no QBs worth paying that big coin

Because QB was turning/as is turning into that high hanging fruit that the bills never seemed to be able to obtain they did the most obvious choice

- Biuld up the REST of the team because that talent WAS available to them primarily on defense

- Try to find a QB that wouldnt lose games

Then the strangest thing happened.....dumpster diving through the league they found a hidden gem in Tyrod Taylor....this guy was supposed to be a trainer pony to Cassell and Manuel......but unexpected they actually found a QB

So they can do one of two things

- Realize that they actually have a starter and alter their plan

- Continue with the plan they were on and probably lose Tyrod Taylor to another NFL team that WILL pay him

What exactly do you expect them to do?

If you believe this you are unaware of NOLA's cap situation. They have over $31M in dead money Their QB is a $30M hit this year!! I know that you and BuffaloBillsForever only chime in when you have something negative to say but your point loses credibility when you try to say that it is a worse situation than the Saints. That is 100% false. The Bills have $6M more in cap space and $18M less in dead money.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Oh thank you all wise, all knowing, and all smelly one. :nana:

The Bills have about $45Million in cap space next year. They're not going to pay their QB until then.

The point I am continuing to make is The Bills are NOT in the "worst cap situation in the league". There are others.

It's just a thing, but the OP should rename the thread. He's been asked several times to do so.

205sfer.jpg

Edited by Nanker

The Bills have about $45Million in cap space next year. They're not going to pay their QB until then.

The point I am continuing to make is The Bills are NOT in the "worst cap situation in the league". There are others.

It's just a thing, but the OP should rename the thread. He's been asked several times to do so.

205sfer.jpg

Let it stay. It gives the negative Neds a talking point and anyone else comic relief.

The Saints didn't enter "cap hell" until after the Super Bowl victory--they had to purge players left and right last offseason. Here's a list of starters that have left the organization one way or another the last 2 offseasons:

Jimmy Graham

Jahri Evans

Ben Grubbs

Darren Sproles

Pierre Thomas

Marques Colston

Brandon Browner

Junior Gallette

And for their troubles, they've had three 7-9 seasons out of the last four. That's not a sustainable run of playoff appearances--it's a single playoff appearance surrounded by below-average performance.

205sfer.jpg

:beer::beer:

Jimmy Graham

Jahri Evans

Ben Grubbs

Darren Sproles

Pierre Thomas

Marques Colston

Brandon Browner

Junior Gallette

This doesn't even factor in the guy's with terrible contracts that are still on the roster (Byrd, Spiller, Strief and Ellerbee). They have by far the worst situation in the league.