We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodak, tweated that the bills are going to be 60m under the cap next year? is that Right?

"Mike Rodak@mikerodak 1h

Mike Rodak Retweeted He's here

Right now they’re projected to have around $60M in room. Where they stand will depend on Taylor/Glenn/Gilmore deals."

Depending on a number of things....new contracts and if the cap continues to go up....Chris Brown said Bills could have close to $50M in space next year........that's why top players rarely become available....

Rodak, tweated that the bills are going to be 60m under the cap next year? is that Right?

"Mike Rodak@mikerodak 1h

Mike Rodak Retweeted He's here

Right now they’re projected to have around $60M in room. Where they stand will depend on Taylor/Glenn/Gilmore deals."

Those match the numbers I've seen elsewhere. And they don't factor in the fact the cap will undoubtedly rise another 10-12 million on top of that.

As many have been saying since last year, the concerns over the cap are overblown.

Those match the numbers I've seen elsewhere. And they don't factor in the fact the cap will undoubtedly rise another 10-12 million on top of that.

As many have been saying since last year, the concerns over the cap are overblown.

The $60M projected space would include the rise in base cap from what I've seen. The Bills are at about $107 in commitments for 2017 at the moment. The current base cap is $155. Next year will likely be about $168M. That's about $61M in cap room by my estimate. That might seem like a lot at first blush, but it doesn't include cap hits for Tyrod, Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, this year's draft class or any other QB. Those players (or their replacements) won't take all of it, but they'll make a substantial dent in it. Edited by BarleyNY

I have seen projections of anywhere from 50-60 million in cap room for next year in a number of places.....a couple of things

- With that much space....perhaps it would not be a bad thing to relook at meatballs contract he is taking a 8 million cap hit this season.

- Redo the contracts so that they give less of a cap hit this year to the remaining needed guys.....60 million is MORE then enough cap next year to do all this

- I still think we will not be major players in free agency this year......this draft is gonna be important

The $60M projected space would include the rise in base cap from what I've seen. The Bills are at about $107 in commitments for 2017 at the moment. The current base cap is $155. Next year will likely be about $168M. That's about $61M in cap room by my estimate. That might seem like a lot at first blush, but it doesn't include cap hits for Tyrod, Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, this year's draft class or any other QB. Those players (or their replacements) won't take all of it, but they'll make a substantial dent in it.

draft

May be time for the OP to start a new thread; "Bill's are in best cap shape in the league for 2017 season" But am certain we'll never see something like that as doesn't align with his agenda.

How would that be fun?

draft

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

May be time for the OP to start a new thread; "Bill's are in best cap shape in the league for 2017 season" But am certain we'll never see something like that as doesn't align with his agenda.

Currently they're in the 24th best shape for the 2017 league year, not including rollovers.

The $60M projected space would include the rise in base cap from what I've seen. The Bills are at about $107 in commitments for 2017 at the moment. The current base cap is $155. Next year will likely be about $168M. That's about $61M in cap room by my estimate. That might seem like a lot at first blush, but it doesn't include cap hits for Tyrod, Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, this year's draft class or any other QB. Those players (or their replacements) won't take all of it, but they'll make a substantial dent in it.

True - but this is part of the Bills' plan. They want to keep their own. When you start hitting on draft picks and you have to start signing the likes of Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, even Aaron Williams (who has a largish cap hit) to bigger deals it is going to dent your space to play in free agency. You can almost add Hughes and Tyrod (if he takes the step) to that because we brought them here when they had lacked in opportunity elsewhere and made them into recognisable names.

Surely that is a good thing? A Buffalo Bills core of guys who we either drafted or brought here as diamonds in the rough and polished up?

We need to get used to not being big FA players because as long as Doug is here that isn't going to be his plan. Last year was the exception rather than the rule and if we never do another Charles Clay type FA deal then that is a good thing.

So. We're $13+M under the cap and "we have the worst cap situation in the league"... still? Really?

funny how the tide has turned. is it not ?

Of course if any of your top players are out for an extended time there will be a problem

and why i was surprised about Leo being gone. graham has lost a couple steps even before we got him.

and this is why a casual fan like myself cannot fret over the cap and monies available or unavailable.

Folks like you can see the devils in the details far far better than I.

although i do find it interesting the dialogue generated !

So what other moves can we still make as far a logical restructures? Glimore and Glenn have been mentioned, are there any others? I've heard Lawson's name mentioned a couple of times. Would re-do of Kyle Williams help or is it a case with Kyle to save cap $$ they'd need to cut him?? Anyone else making high $$ that likely isn't wort hit?

and this is why a casual fan like myself cannot fret over the cap and monies available or unavailable.

Folks like you can see the devils in the details far far better than I.

although i do find it interesting the dialogue generated !

Thanks. It is a part of the game that I find fascinating.

So what other moves can we still make as far a logical restructures? Glimore and Glenn have been mentioned, are there any others? I've heard Lawson's name mentioned a couple of times. Would re-do of Kyle Williams help or is it a case with Kyle to save cap $$ they'd need to cut him?? Anyone else making high $$ that likely isn't wort hit?

Eric Wood comes to mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Currently they're in the 24th best shape for the 2017 league year, not including rollovers.

What I mean is that the way you make all this work is you draft at position that would cost you a lot of money to replace by free agents

Meaning

Yes we just let a 12 million dollar cap hit go with Mario Willaims........so you replace him with a 19th overall pick player and HOPE that you get better production from a younger player who doesnt throw a B word fit cuz his coach asks him to do things that are out of his comfort zone

its a strong draft for D linemen......so we should probably take 2

We resign our own home grown quality players......we make decisions on players that wont fit the cap....and draft accordingly.

If we draft correctly....the cap should never be a problem.

You're right there are some large contracts missing from that number. The draft class won't be a big part of it though, Glenn and Taylor (hopefully/maybe) will. As will Gilmore's new deal (when it happens). They also will have to deal with Sammy's second deal sooner rather than later. The Bills will always be right up against the cap when the season starts because they're trying to compete, but having 30-50 million in room gives them more flexibility and options than they have this year.

Which is why it's silly for folks to worry too much about the cap. The Bills have the cap under control -- as does almost every NFL team.

You're right there are some large contracts missing from that number. The draft class won't be a big part of it though, Glenn and Taylor (hopefully/maybe) will. As will Gilmore's new deal (when it happens). They also will have to deal with Sammy's second deal sooner rather than later. The Bills will always be right up against the cap when the season starts because they're trying to compete, but having 30-50 million in room gives them more flexibility and options than they have this year.

Which is why it's silly for folks to worry too much about the cap. The Bills have the cap under control -- as does almost every NFL team.

i would certainly like to think so. For those of us who had a problem with Overdorf before, my thinking has turned. He seems to be rather diligent AND intelligent

It is also important to remember that our cap is going towards some pretty darn good players

Glenn?

Incognito?

Gilmore?

Tyrod?

and in previous years Marcel and Hughes

These are players that other NFL teams would LOVE to have on their teams........we have them on OUR team and are just resigning our homegrown talent for the most part.

What we need to do is continue to have strong drafts

i would certainly like to think so. For those of us who had a problem with Overdorf before, my thinking has turned. He seems to be rather diligent AND intelligent

Agree...he had a budget before....now his budget is the cap