Could Easley be a decent backup safety for the Bills?

simpleman

I have asked this before in other related threads, but no one discussed it. I just read the article posted on his rehab.

He has never really made enough of an impression on multiple coaching staffs as a WR. He is a good cover man on special teams. A good hitter, is big, tough, fast, decent hands, I assume smart. Decent qualities for a safety to have.

We need quality depth at safety, especially if AW is forced to retire due to his injury.

Buffalo has had some success at converting a WR to safety before. Could Easley play safety and special teams? Clearing a space on the roster and giving him more time on the field? It would seem a more efficient use of a roster spot than simply as a special teamer if he could be a decent backup safety.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asked this before in other related threads, but no one discussed it. I just read the article posted on his rehab.

He has never really made enough of an impression on multiple coaching staffs as a WR. He is a good cover man on special teams. A good hitter, is big, tough, fast, decent hands, I assume smart. Decent qualities for a safety to have.

We need quality depth at safety, especially if AW is forced to retire due to his injury.

Buffalo has had some success at converting a WR to safety before. Could Easley play safety and special teams? Clearing a space on the roster and giving him more time on the field? It would seem a more efficient use of a roster spot than simply as a special teamer if he could be a decent backup safety.

Simpleman, the better question will be whether Easley's shattered knee will be far enough advanced in its rehab to allow him to 1) play at all 2) play at his previous level on ST

I think he does posess those traits you mentioned, but his injury history is concerning. He averages probably 2 offensive snaps per week on offense, and 12 special teams snaps, and most of the time is nursing an injury by the bye week, and more often than not, it seems, on the IR for the last couple games of the year. Giving him 60 snaps per week would is something that his body doesn't seem like it could handle. Also, Rex's defensive scheme is seemingly very difficult for guys who have played defense for a decade to get, so a converted WR, late in his career, presumably would struggle to get complex concepts.

Simpleman, I'm not ripping on you, but your falling into the contemplation of converting players when there are already players specialized in that field. For example, everyone wanted to convert Tebow to a TE. He's not a TE, he's a bad QB.

Easley is a good ST player, but to convert to a whole new set of skills from offense to defense is a leap. The only real leap I see is when CB's as they get older but are tough or put on weight become Safeties. If Graham can't make the conversion well, and was a CB for 8 years, why would a ST player be able to do it.

I appreciate the creative thinking, just don't see it happening.

Simpleman, I'm not ripping on you, but your falling into the contemplation of converting players when there are already players specialized in that field. For example, everyone wanted to convert Tebow to a TE. He's not a TE, he's a bad QB.

Easley is a good ST player, but to convert to a whole new set of skills from offense to defense is a leap. The only real leap I see is when CB's as they get older but are tough or put on weight become Safeties. If Graham can't make the conversion well, and was a CB for 8 years, why would a ST player be able to do it.

I appreciate the creative thinking, just don't see it happening.

Players have made transitions from one position to another and WR to DB is one of the more common ones that happen. Granted, it usually occurs at the college level, but I'm sure there are examples of it occurring at the NFL level. Troy Brown comes to mind immediately. Although he was more of an emergency sub than a true position change, he handled himself fairly well as a CB when he played and I'm sure if he changed full time he would have become an effective corner. An obvious example of a very successful position change was Jason Peters from TE to an All-Pro LT. Also, the Seahawks have been switching dlineman to olineman like crazy under Carroll. JR Sweezy is probably the best example of it and has gone from a no name 7th round pick DT to a very serviceable guard. They have also attempted this with numerous UDFA to varying degrees of success.

I don't think it's likely to be successful here, but to dismiss the idea as having no chance at working is a bit off to me.

Edited by Mark80

Players have made transitions from one position to another and WR to DB is one of the more common ones that happen. Granted, it usually occurs at the college level, but I'm sure there are examples of it occurring at the NFL level. Troy Brown comes to mind immediately. Although he was more of an emergency sub than a true position change, he handled himself fairly well as a CB when he played and I'm sure if he changed full time he would have become an effective corner. An obvious example of a very successful position change was Jason Peters from TE to an All-Pro LT. Also, the Seahawks have been switching dlineman to olineman like crazy under Carroll. JR Sweezy is probably the best example of it and has gone from a no name 7th round pick DT to a very serviceable guard. They have also attempted this with numerous UDFA to varying degrees of success.

I don't think it's likely to be successful here, but to dismiss the idea as having no chance at working is a bit off to me.

Name one time a 26 year old player was moved from WR ( ? ) or ST to safety.

thats before we get into the mental and play calling responsibilities.

Not a knock on our OP.

But this is far fetched at best

I am assuming this is all a joke, right?

That, after 6 years in the NFL, and at almost 30 years old, and coming off a significant injury, someone would suggest that Easley might be converted to a safety? Just trying to get a reaction, correct?

Definitely not "creative thinking" if the OP is serious.

If not a joke, not just messing around, YIKES...

Not a knock on our OP.

George Wilson was 26 when he did exactly that, and he had a couple very good seasons for us, before dropping off a cliff, skillswise.

That said, I highly doubt Easley will be doing that, nor do I think he should. If anything, if he comes back, he should be exclusively ST.

Honestly, when I've been messing around with that sportstrac salary cap tool, I've pretty much written him off (not that i know anything :) )...hopefully, that's wrong.

George Wilson was 26 when he did exactly that, and he had a couple very good seasons for us, before dropping off a cliff, skillswise.

That said, I highly doubt Easley will be doing that, nor do I think he should. If anything, if he comes back, he should be exclusively ST.

Honestly, when I've been messing around with that sportstrac salary cap tool, I've pretty much written him off (not that i know anything :) )...hopefully, that's wrong.

Damned fine work.

George Wilson!!

If M E cannot make it back i will miss him. He did his job very well indeed.

Have you written off Aaron Williams yet. I hate to suggest it even, but i kinda want to for his sake and the Bills moving forward ?

Not a knock on our OP.

Perhaps you did not read the last sentence of my post. The post I was responding to was saying it is impossible to learn new specialized skills in the NFL. I said that was not true but admitted that it mostly happens in college and that it would most likely not be successful in this case.

Edited by Mark80

Bills GM Doug Whaley proclaimed FS Aaron Williams (neck) 100 percent healthy.

Williams missed the final 11 games after suffering a series of neck injuries, but apparently would have been ready for the playoffs. Williams himself has said he doesn't know what to expect from his future until he resumes taking hits next summer. Williams is due $3.675 million between salary and bonuses in 2016

Unless something catastrophic happens in camp, he will be back next season.

Damned fine work.

George Wilson!!

If M E cannot make it back i will miss him. He did his job very well indeed.

Have you written off Aaron Williams yet. I hate to suggest it even, but i kinda want to for his sake and the Bills moving forward ?

I would also miss Easley, but wish he could have stayed healthier.

All the late news about Aaron Williams sounds cautiously optimistic to me. They seemed to think it was 50/50, and implied that if it swung in one direction, the injury did not make it any more dangerous to play, but if it leaned in the other direction, he would wisely retire. Hopefully, Whaley's assessment from a few weeks ago was knowing. He's a solid leader and an underrated defender -- it was right around when he and Kyle went down that the running d fell off a cliff.

However, I agree, if there's any doubt, he should walk away. This is just based on social media posts and interviews, but I'm a huge fan of Aaron Williams, the person, as well as the player.

Perhaps you did not read the last sentence of my post. The post I was responding to was saying it is impossible to learn new specialized skills in the NFL. I said that was not true but admitted that it mostly happens in college and that it would most likely not be successful in this case.

I may well have glossed over it. But you certainly did say that. I sued you post to respond in general perhaps.

My apologies good Sir!

I would also miss Easley, but wish he could have stayed healthier.

All the late news about Aaron Williams sounds cautiously optimistic to me. They seemed to think it was 50/50, and implied that if it swung in one direction, the injury did not make it any more dangerous to play, but if it leaned in the other direction, he would wisely retire. Hopefully, Whaley's assessment from a few weeks ago was knowing. He's a solid leader and an underrated defender -- it was right around when he and Kyle went down that the running d fell off a cliff.

However, I agree, if there's any doubt, he should walk away. This is just based on social media posts and interviews, but I'm a huge fan of Aaron Williams, the person, as well as the player.

I too am a fan of his switch. He has been a vocal leader and would most likely serve the Team well in the future. So i am also a fan of him as a Bill!

My worry is when he makes full contact in camp he or his body decides it is over. I dont want to see it. so how do the Bills hedge the bet?