What about Kyle at DE

Webster Guy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters - If we don't get some linebackers i dont think it matters where he'd line up. I'd think a 2 gap defender on hughes side would work though. Have the nose shade to the Dareus side a step or two. That way Dareus is only a 1 gap player - sort of like what the texans do with Watt. New Nose and KW are 2 gappers. Free's up hughes to make plays, and rush the edge. new ILBs can bring the heat up the middle....

Need a good ILB and a full time big boy nose tackle for this to work though.

Edited by dneveu

With all this talk about bringing in a true Nose Tackle zero technique guy, I wonder what our line would look like if we slid Kyle out to Mario's old spot.

The nose takes the A and B gap on Hughes side, Dareus plays his 1 tech right where he loves to be, and he and Kyle share that B gap depending on what is called by the Ryans.

Kyle is singled on a RT as much as you want him to be, assuming your nose tackle is adequate and Dareus is handling that left inside turf (A and or B gaps)

Before you laugh, forget the old saying that DE's need to be tall and have long arms. Dumerville isn't even 6 feet tall and he dominates OT's all day out there.

Kyle has speed, strength, experience, chases down plays, hand control, never gets pancaked or steamrolled.

If we could get a healthy productive season from Jarius Wynn and Kyle as LDE's, maybe we could focus on drafting the best player available at LB/safety/WR and not burn a pick on DE this year.

be great D end, as long as you move him inside 0:)

Kyle may not be able to reach rock bottom, but he will bruise the sides.

GO BILLS!!!

#girthmatters

For starters - If we don't get some linebackers i dont think it matters where he'd line up. I'd think a 2 gap defender on hughes side would work though. Have the nose shade to the Dareus side a step or two. That way Dareus is only a 1 gap player - sort of like what the texans do with Watt. New Nose and KW are 2 gappers. Free's up hughes to make plays, and rush the edge. new ILBs can bring the heat up the middle....

whatever the hell Bills line up they better get the LBs sorted out.

I think Kyle is still here next year.

Because Rex sure as heck better have learned something about locker room, and on the field leadership.

I am a KW homer through and through

Nice post dneveu !

I confuse KW with Chris Farley.

You mean KW is dead too?

It might be like that season when Erik Pears moved to Guard.

If I had more time and a better way to search the archives, I could pull up these similar statements about Kyle from just about every offseason.

Since Kyle has been here, we've been through just about every scheme there is (4-3, Tampa 2, 3-4, Pettine's hybrid, Schwartz's Wide 9, Rex's 46-whatever, etc), and every offseason there are threads about Kyle Williams and how he isnt suited to play the position in the new scheme. And then he goes out and delivers yet another pro-bowl performance.

You guys are fair to doubt him, but I've seen too much to bother. In Kyle I trust.

If I had more time and a better way to search the archives, I could pull up these similar statements about Kyle from just about every offseason.

Since Kyle has been here, we've been through just about every scheme there is (4-3, Tampa 2, 3-4, Pettine's hybrid, Schwartz's Wide 9, Rex's 46-whatever, etc), and every offseason there are threads about Kyle Williams and how he isnt suited to play the position in the new scheme. And then he goes out and delivers yet another pro-bowl performance.

You guys are fair to doubt him, but I've seen too much to bother. In Kyle I trust.

There were indeed doubts...not from me though; this is the first time I've ever said that he isn't a scheme fit.

The issue is that he's previously played in single-gap schemes where he can penetrate. Rex hasn't traditionally run those schemes, which I said last offseason didn't bother me, because I figured he wouldn't try to fix what wasn't broken.

That obviously didn't work, and with Rex saying that he's going to be more true to his scheme this year, I don't see Kyle fitting.

I'd love to be wrong though

I'm with you. Please call a meeting with Rex and Whaley to get this sorted out. CC Robby as optional Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

we are brothers in this matter.

But i never thought Fred would be gone.

I have my pitchfork at the ready.

I'm with you. Please call a meeting with Rex and Whaley to get this sorted out. CC Robby as optional

lol!

There were indeed doubts...not from me though; this is the first time I've ever said that he isn't a scheme fit.

The issue is that he's previously played in single-gap schemes where he can penetrate. Rex hasn't traditionally run those schemes, which I said last offseason didn't bother me, because I figured he wouldn't try to fix what wasn't broken.

That obviously didn't work, and with Rex saying that he's going to be more true to his scheme this year, I don't see Kyle fitting.

I'd love to be wrong though

Me too. i am worried i wont see my favorite player next season

It's funny- 2 years ago you couldn't find a hole in the defensive personnel. Maybe a slight upgrade here or there.

Now, with the same players, there are holes everywhere. Need NT, DE, ILB, S, OLB... Awesome. Another 2 or 3 year rebuilding project.

It's funny- 2 years ago you couldn't find a hole in the defensive personnel. Maybe a slight upgrade here or there.

Now, with the same players, there are holes everywhere. Need NT, DE, ILB, S, OLB... Awesome. Another 2 or 3 year rebuilding project.

That happens when you switch systems.

And I don't think this is a rebuilding project. I think it's like any other team that needs to add some pieces.

They don't need a DE, they have 4 guys on the roster right now that can play the 5T/4i spots (Dareus, Bryant, Wynn, Charles). They don't technically need a safety either if Aaron intends to play; though it'd be nice to upgrade from Graham.

What they need, in order to run Rex's system, is a 2-gapping NT, and ILB, and an edge defender that can replace what Mario didn't/couldn't do last year. They wouldn't need an ILB if Bradham could've continued his level of play from 2014, but he fell off significantly.

I agree Kyle could play every interior Dline position in any scheme.

He is just not suited to an end gap in any scheme. Whole different ballgame out there and vs LONG armed OTs that won't have much of a problem locking him up because his arms won't give him leverage in such matchups.

GO BILLS!!!

With all this talk about bringing in a true Nose Tackle zero technique guy, I wonder what our line would look like if we slid Kyle out to Mario's old spot.

The nose takes the A and B gap on Hughes side, Dareus plays his 1 tech right where he loves to be, and he and Kyle share that B gap depending on what is called by the Ryans.

Kyle is singled on a RT as much as you want him to be, assuming your nose tackle is adequate and Dareus is handling that left inside turf (A and or B gaps)

Before you laugh, forget the old saying that DE's need to be tall and have long arms. Dumerville isn't even 6 feet tall and he dominates OT's all day out there.

Kyle has speed, strength, experience, chases down plays, hand control, never gets pancaked or steamrolled.

If we could get a healthy productive season from Jarius Wynn and Kyle as LDE's, maybe we could focus on drafting the best player available at LB/safety/WR and not burn a pick on DE this year.

I agree but everybody else thinks your nuts

That happens when you switch systems.

And I don't think this is a rebuilding project. I think it's like any other team that needs to add some pieces.

They don't need a DE, they have 4 guys on the roster right now that can play the 5T/4i spots (Dareus, Bryant, Wynn, Charles). They don't technically need a safety either if Aaron intends to play; though it'd be nice to upgrade from Graham.

What they need, in order to run Rex's system, is a 2-gapping NT, and ILB, and an edge defender that can replace what Mario didn't/couldn't do last year. They wouldn't need an ILB if Bradham could've continued his level of play from 2014, but he fell off significantly.

No way Bryant and Charles can play DE. Dareus has a chance, but realistically he's a pro-bowl caliber player as as a 1 and 3 technique DT so moving him to DE is a huge risk. Wynn is a career backup. That's not a very good situation at DE.