What about Kyle at DE

Webster Guy

No way Bryant and Charles can play DE. Dareus has a chance, but realistically he's a pro-bowl caliber player as as a 1 and 3 technique DT so moving him to DE is a huge risk. Wynn is a career backup. That's not a very good situation at DE.

Carrington can when not injured, and if they retain him. but agreed. It should be a point of emphasis.

Wait i forgot about IK!

wait... maybe we all did. and should

sorry kid.

you have no lane awareness or gap control skills and cannot really pass rush

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The DE in a 3-4 needs to either be athletic and making stops in the run game/getting up field on pass plays. Or willing to plug 2 gaps, and let someone else make the plays.

I think as KW gets a little older, he understands he'll be playing more of the complementary role. He can absolutely play nose tackle in this defense, and play it well. True he is a tad short, but he is soooo much quicker than people give him credit for. The guys stronger and faster than every center in the league, and smarter than probably everyone else on our defense. He'll command double teams by being stronger than centers, and faster than guards. He's also a savvy vet, so having him in film study is huge.

I haven't even gotten to leadership- and I've come up with like 6 reasons hes better than a cheap replacement. And they'll probably cut him... sigh.

No way Bryant and Charles can play DE. Dareus has a chance, but realistically he's a pro-bowl caliber player as as a 1 and 3 technique DT so moving him to DE is a huge risk. Wynn is a career backup. That's not a very good situation at DE.

Of course they can play DE in a 2-gap system; both spent time at the 4i in pettine's D

Dareus played 5t at Alabama as well

Wynn will still be a backup, so not sure what the issues are here

The DE in a 3-4 needs to either be athletic and making stops in the run game/getting up field on pass plays. Or willing to plug 2 gaps, and let someone else make the plays.

I think as KW gets a little older, he understands he'll be playing more of the complementary role. He can absolutely play nose tackle in this defense, and play it well. True he is a tad short, but he is soooo much quicker than people give him credit for. The guys stronger and faster than every center in the league, and smarter than probably everyone else on our defense. He'll command double teams by being stronger than centers, and faster than guards. He's also a savvy vet, so having him in film study is huge.

I haven't even gotten to leadership- and I've come up with like 6 reasons hes better than a cheap replacement. And they'll probably cut him... sigh.

Kyle Williams hasn't shown the ability to play a 2 gap NT to this point in his career and to try and use him there would be a total waste of his ability. He's no where near big enough and it would negate his quickness and explosion off the ball, which is one of his best traits. Like Dareus, he's best as a 3 or 1 technique DT. If the Bills played a 1 gap 3-4 like Denver then it might work out, but that's not Rex's system.

Of course they can play DE in a 2-gap system; both spent time at the 4i in pettine's D

Dareus played 5t at Alabama as well

Wynn will still be a backup, so not sure what the issues are here

First of all, both Charles and Bryant are career backups. Secondly they can't play 5t, so unless you're going to play a 5-2 they can't be DEs. They are going to have to play on the edge some of the time in a true 3-4 defense. Thirdly, the fact that Dareus played DE in college doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL and even if maybe he can I highly doubt he will be as effective as he is playing DT.

If the Bills seriously want to play a 2-gap system then they really need all new DL except for maybe Dareus. So, what was the strength of the team 2 years ago must now be totally dismantled. This obviously implies that they should play mostly 1-gap schemes but they tried that this season and it bombed so we'll see.

Edited by vincec

Kyle Williams hasn't shown the ability to play a 2 gap NT to this point in his career and to try and use him there would be a total waste of his ability. He's no where near big enough and it would negate his quickness and explosion off the ball, which is one of his best traits. Like Dareus, he's best as a 3 or 1 technique DT. If the Bills played a 1 gap 3-4 like Denver then it might work out, but that's not Rex's system.

First of all, both Charles and Bryant are career backups. Secondly they can't play 5t, so unless you're going to play a 5-2 they can't be DEs. They are going to have to play on the edge some of the time in a true 3-4 defense. Thirdly, the fact that Dareus played DE in college doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL and even if maybe he can I highly doubt he will be as effective as he is playing DT.

If the Bills seriously want to play a 2-gap system then they really need all new DL except for maybe Dareus. So, what was the strength of the team 2 years ago must now be totally dismantled.

The story of 2015.

If the Bills seriously want to play a 2-gap system then they really need all new DL except for maybe Dareus. So, what was the strength of the team 2 years ago must now be totally dismantled.

I have no idea why you think that either guy couldn't play 5T; it's a slight shade from 4i, and both have ideal size for the position.

Bryant is 300 lbs and 6'3" with 32" arms. He also has excellent strength--he did 31 reps at his pro day.

Charles was actually projected as a 3-4 end at the CFL combine:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/stefan-charles-could-nfl-draft-showing-increased-nfl-190633394.html

He's bigger than Bryant with longer arms, but not quite as strong.

The career backup thing is bunk. For starters, Bryant started 12 games last year. Secondly, they'd obviously be splitting snaps with each other and Wynn.

And as I said already: Dareus played 5T at Alabama. He doesn't need to be replaced.

They need a 2-gap NT to run Rex's D.

Edited by thebandit27

I have no idea why you think that either guy couldn't play 5T; it's a slight shade from 4i, and both have ideal size for the position.

Bryant is 300 lbs and 6'3" with 32" arms. He also has excellent strength--he did 31 reps at his pro day.

Charles was actually projected as a 3-4 end at the CFL combine:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/stefan-charles-could-nfl-draft-showing-increased-nfl-190633394.html

He's bigger than Bryant with longer arms, but not quite as strong.

The career backup thing is bunk. For starters, Bryant started 12 games last year. Secondly, they'd obviously be splitting snaps with each other and Wynn.

And as I said already: Dareus played 5T at Alabama. He doesn't need to be replaced.

They need a 2-gap NT to run Rex's D.

Well, since the Bills can't afford to bring in anyone new I guess we'll find out if you're right. I'm not optimistic, obviously.

If they're really serious about blowing up the front 7 then I suggest they trade K Williams for a NT, if possible. Kyle doesn't fit at all and he still has some trade value. That way maybe they can get somebody good instead of a retread.

Edited by vincec

2 gap doesn't mean fat.... It means covering the gaps on either side of the center. In today's nfl is this even that important? To say he'll be be bad there because he doesn't eat a double team on every play isn't necessarily accurate. He just needs to anticipate the gap and hammer it. Things he can do.

Guys high motor and the best leader on our team.

2 gap doesn't mean fat.... It means covering the gaps on either side of the center. In today's nfl is this even that important? To say he'll be be bad there because he doesn't eat a double team on every play isn't necessarily accurate. He just needs to anticipate the gap and hammer it. Things he can do.

Guys high motor and the best leader on our team.

Do you have any recollection at all of what the defense was like with Kyle at nose? It didn't work out

IMO, Rex's defense is all abour keeping the opposing offense guessing what assignments the defense is in. Disguise. Having players that can appear to play multiple positions and roles should, again IMO, be a priority. Not sure if having players who excel at one thing is good for this defense as it becomes predictable even if they are good.