Vic C's BN piece--really rips Rex as defensive coach

dave mcbride

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's fairly deeply reported too. For those who think it's a good piece (as I do), remember it the next time you think about writing that everyone at the BN sucks except for Tyler Dunne ...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/13/bills-pairing-of-rex-ryan-jim-schwartz-never-stood-a-chance/

I agree, good piece.

The most intriguing thing to me is the description of the whiplash Schwartz got - that Bills FO officials were saying "we want Schwartz to stay" whilst Rex had Dennis Thurman moving his things into Schwartz office, all without having a discussion with Schwartz, then finally telling Schwartz he was terminated.

At face value, it sounds as though Rex (at best) misled the Pegulas and the Bills as to his intent for the defense then behaved like a tool to Schwartz while not communicating his intentions clearly.

At worst, it sounds as though he (at least verbally) committed to leaving the D intact and retaining Schwartz, then once his contract was signed and he was in the building, reneged.

Either way, that's a crap way to behave.

it's fairly deeply reported too. For those who think it's a good piece (as I do), remember it the next time you think about writing that everyone at the BN sucks except for Tyler Dunne ...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/13/bills-pairing-of-rex-ryan-jim-schwartz-never-stood-a-chance/

Couple of points...I don't think anyone has ever thrown Vic in with Sully, Gleason and Harrington.

2nd, i did think it was a good article. If the Schwartz thing went down as penned, pretty awful on Rex.

I don't put a ton of stock into what an ex-coach says..not saying right or wrong, just saying I am sure the guy was pretty cheesed off at Rex , maybe with good reason, but still with a reason to talk trash on Rex.

L

Funny how "continuity" lost out when it came to keeping Schwartz and his top-ranked defense, but a year later this same "continuity" was cited as the biggest reason we now have to endure another year of Rex's clown show.

Edited by mannc

Seems a little one-sided, and I don't buy that the Pegulas thought Schwartz was staying. If they really wanted him to stay they wouldn't have hired Rex. That's not a match at all. Even if Rex had kept him it wouldn't have made sense. Not how Rex coaches.... He calls the plays. They have very different defensive philosophies. The anonymous coach may be accurately portraying some things. I have no idea. Otherwise, nothing new was presented in the article that hasn't been hashed and rehashed a thousand times.

I have never thought Vic was a poor writer. I have thought he may have a poor source on some things.

Wait.

So EVERYONE wanted to keep Schwartz, including te Pegulas and Rex overruled the owners? How does that even happen?

This guys a bum. I have no doubt this is his last year as head coach.

Well here is how I answer this. Speculation. Suddenly he is a great writer? 1/3 of his article is speculation because Swartz didn't want to be involved. He has moved on. If Swartz wanted to stay under Rex I'm sure Pegulas would have made it happen. You cant convince me he wanted to stay unless I hear or read it from a quote from him.

Seems a little one-sided, and I don't buy that the Pegulas thought Schwartz was staying. If they really wanted him to stay they wouldn't have hired Rex. That's not a match at all. Even if Rex had kept him it wouldn't have made sense. Not how Rex coaches.... He calls the plays. They have very different defensive philosophies. The anonymous coach may be accurately portraying some things. I have no idea. Otherwise, nothing new was presented in the article that hasn't been hashed and rehashed a thousand times.

I have never thought Vic was a poor writer. I have thought he may have a poor source on some things.

If Rex really behaved that way towards Jim Schwartz it was classless. This is not some bum you are dealing with - do him the courtesy of a telephone call at least.

I was a huge Schwartz fan - I advocated his hiring on here pretty much as soon as the Pettine to the Browns rumours started... but I did not expect the defense to fall off so badly under Rex.

I want to buy back in and I am trying not to just fill the vacuum of this time of year with more and more Rex criticism, but I do genuinely think that this will be his final season as an NFL Head Coach. I think the Bills will fire him and he will end up on ESPN.

#1 - Rex is an outstanding defensive coach and a pretty good head coach.

#2- he was NOT a good fit for the Bills

#3- blame Russ Brandon whose priority was making a splash to sell tickets, suites and corporate sponsorships (mission accomplished)

#4 - 2 steps back (2015 & 2016) before 1 step forward (2017 playoffs) if they survive. otherwise rinse, repeat new regime.

#1 - Rex is an outstanding defensive coach and a pretty good head coach.

#2- he was NOT a good fit for the Bills

#3- blame Russ Brandon whose priority was making a splash to sell tickets, suites and corporate sponsorships (mission accomplished)

#4 - 2 steps back (2015 & 2016) before 1 step forward (2017 playoffs) if they survive. otherwise rinse, repeat new regime.

So Brandon made the call over the Pegula's and Whaley?

Even more - if they really wanted Schwartz to stay, they wouldn't have let him leave. He was under contract IIRC.

That said, the Rex hire is looking worse and worse...

I didn't expect Schwartz to stay on when I heard Rex was hired. I don't know why anyone else would have thought he would.

Good question. Carrucci is reporting that a "high ranking Bills official" not only thought so, but said so:

“Have every intention of keeping” Schwartz, a high-ranking Bills official texted a Buffalo News reporter on Jan. 11, 2015, as the team was finalizing an agreement to make Rex Ryan the new head man. “Rex wants to win, whoever is doing the ‘D’ doesn’t matter,” the high-ranking team official insisted in another text on Jan. 11, 2015. “It’s what’s best for the team.”

So why would that "high ranking Bills official" whoever he may be, think so?

Edited by Hopeful