Vic C's BN piece--really rips Rex as defensive coach

dave mcbride

i think we were a playoff calibre team in 2015. i think the talent and roster was there.

i think the organization and coaching was not. organization and talent cost us at least one game - likely two.

injuries, the same.

disirregardless, injuries always happen and can't be used as an excuse. poor coaching and being unorganized cannot be an excuse.

I deleted my previous response.

irregardless, i dont think the team was ready for playoffs.

Like the 2014 9-7 team under Marrone.

Close maybe last year. Especially the last 1/4 of the season.

i am one who thinks it is do or die this year for Rex. All the marbles.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>>#1 - Rex is an outstanding defensive coach and a pretty good head coach.

I disagree. I think that he is a very bad defensive coach. In the past he seemed to be effective.

>>>>#2- he was NOT a good fit for the Bills<<<<

He would be a poor fit anywhere he landed. This will probably be his last job.

>>>>#3- blame Russ Brandon whose priority was making a splash to sell tickets, suites and corporate sponsorships (mission accomplished)<<<<

Agree 100%!!! A clown is a good fit under Brandon, a circus barker.

>>>>#4 - 2 steps back (2015 & 2016) before 1 step forward (2017 playoffs) if they survive. otherwise rinse, repeat new regime.<<<<

I don't think they will ever reach the playoffs with Rex. Whaley is also a horror show. Both are in WAY over their heads and I wish they were both fired. This will happen after the season.

"With Ryan vowing to fully implement his scheme in 2016 and hiring his twin brother, Rob, to help him coach it, only time will tell if there will be any more regret over the performance of the Bills’ defense.

As far as Bulluck is concerned, that won’t be an easy sell to the players.

“It’s hard, because you went out there, you tried the scheme your coach told you to try and you didn’t have success,” he said. “It’s the offseason now, so they’re amongst their friends and family. And Marcell is like, ‘Last year was some BS,’ because he didn’t do his numbers. It’s going to be difficult.”

:thumbdown:

it's fairly deeply reported too. For those who think it's a good piece (as I do), remember it the next time you think about writing that everyone at the BN sucks except for Tyler Dunne ...

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/13/bills-pairing-of-rex-ryan-jim-schwartz-never-stood-a-chance/

Great article and a great read. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting.

I think the Rex Ryan hire was pushed on the new owners by the status quo and then they preached continuity again for this year. Yea, continuity for a classless loudmouth full of broken promises whose teams lacked discipline and didn't allow for the best use of the talent on the roster.

I only hope that one day these new owners wake up and realize the only way to beat a great team, great QB in New England is to hire a great football man at the top for Buffalo. Then he will hire a great head coach who will be someone with enough football acumen to know NFL talent when he sees it. If the talent isn't already on the roster than Rex Ryan isn't going to coach up anything ie Quinton Coples. (Aaron Maybin again) In essence the Bills hired another Jauron who only knows how to run his lame, outdated scheme.

Chuck Knox came into Buffalo with a winning record from the Rams and brought with him a great talent evaluator in Norm Pollom who would up as Buffalos vice president of player personnel, and he hired Bill Polian!!

Another great read in this story. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/18/polians-start-with-bills-was-discreet/

This paying outrageous sums of money to free agents because you can't find the talent in the draft is clearly the wrong way to do things. 100 million to Mario didn't get the Bills in the playoffs and neither did playing similar sums to Dareus and Hughes. Three draft picks and two of them first round picks when the team doesn't have an established franchise QB on the roster to throw to him was another lame call. Then because the team lacks football acumen at the top of the flow chart they hired a bad head coach with a 4-12 record and then got exactly what they hired in a man who made the team / defense worse.

This team is in dire need of another Chuck Knox who won despite having a not so good people above him.

Great article and a great read. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting.

I think the Rex Ryan hire was pushed on the new owners by the status quo and then they preached continuity again for this year. Yea, continuity for a classless loudmouth full of broken promises whose teams lacked discipline and didn't allow for the best use of the talent on the roster.

I only hope that one day these new owners wake up and realize the only way to beat a great team, great QB in New England is to hire a great football man at the top for Buffalo. Then he will hire a great head coach who will be someone with enough football acumen to know NFL talent when he sees it. If the talent isn't already on the roster than Rex Ryan isn't going to coach up anything ie Quinton Coples. (Aaron Maybin again) In essence the Bills hired another Jauron who only knows how to run his lame, outdated scheme.

Chuck Knox came into Buffalo with a winning record from the Rams and brought with him a great talent evaluator in Norm Pollom who would up as Buffalos vice president of player personnel, and he hired Bill Polian!!

Another great read in this story. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/18/polians-start-with-bills-was-discreet/

This paying outrageous sums of money to free agents because you can't find the talent in the draft is clearly the wrong way to do things. 100 million to Mario didn't get the Bills in the playoffs and neither did playing similar sums to Dareus and Hughes. Three draft picks and two of them first round picks when the team doesn't have an established franchise QB on the roster to throw to him was another lame call. Then because the team lacks football acumen at the top of the flow chart they hired a bad head coach with a 4-12 record and then got exactly what they hired in a man who made the team / defense worse.

This team is in dire need of another Chuck Knox who won despite having a not so good people above him.

Bills drafted Dareus and got Hughes for nearly free. They recently paid them what they deserved and Hughes gave us a discount, maybe MD gave a little too?

Mario was a Brandon move that really was not all that bad considering Kelsey was the guy he replaced.

I don't get why folks want to pick the Bills apart all the time. But maybe when i seek the positives some people think i am shortsighted too?

You don't get why fans pick apart their team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years?

No i dont actually.

if you are not a Fan why wouldn't you just walk away?

Like the abuse? I think there is some kinky word for that. Flagellant perhaps? not sure.

Scared of being without a Team to B word about?

or just enjoy being unhappy about something?

Lotsa people don't like their lives

i guess i am lucky.

and yes i mix my own koolaids

I thought the story at the time was that Schwartz was given the opportunity to stay on, but chose to leave on his own (not that anyone realistically expected him to stay).

That was what the reports were. Here is an article from the D&C:

Although Ryan reportedly told Schwartz he was welcome to stay in his position as defensive coordinator, Schwartz declined that offer and will seek employment elsewhere in the NFL.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/three-point-stance/2015/01/13/schwartz-not-returning-as-defensive-coordinator/21686225/

It's called venting.

I know.

I sympathize too.

Not like like I live outside this social experiment called the Curse of the Buffalo Bills Fan.

I even walked away after a bad exp. with my son when he was but a tyke, at the stadium.

But i came back.

The odds are on our side by now?

GOOD coaching, anyway. We got something else.

Negative nancy aren't cha

:D

Although Ryan reportedly told Schwartz he was welcome to stay in his position as defensive coordinator, Schwartz declined that offer and will seek employment elsewhere in the NFL.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/three-point-stance/2015/01/13/schwartz-not-returning-as-defensive-coordinator/21686225/

Be very interesting to me how my boy Jim does in Philly.

He was pretty damned good in Buffalo and the players really took to him it seemed

Let's face it, the DC under Rex is a puppet running Rex's scheme. If I'm Schwartz I wouldn't want to tarnish my image and employability with what we saw last year.

Puppet is a bit harsh Augie.

But yes wants to run what he thinks is best. Right or wrong.

last year was very frustrating for both coaches and players.

Lets hope this offseason allows better communication and execution when the season rolls around

Puppet is a bit harsh Augie.

But yes wants to run what he thinks is best. Right or wrong.

last year was very frustrating for both coaches and players.

Lets hope this offseason allows better communication and execution when the season rolls around

Maybe you're right....should we replace "puppet" with "brother"? :)

Rob was fired and basically unemployable as a DC, so he's not too ashamed to collect a check under brother Rex. Schwartz had better options. I don't blame him. I hope for great improvement, but then, it's only a step back towards where we were. I'm just in a foul mood over all this. I'll be fooled and crazy again when the time comes.

It is silly to think the Pegulas, Russ, Whaley, or anybody at One Bills Drive ever thought Rex/Schwartz could work. The statements made about retaining Schwartz was PR mumbo, nothing more. If it wasn't I have larger concerns about our front office and it's ability to judge situations and understand the game. Why the delay? People prioritize tasks in new roles. Letting go a coach was not a priority. It was something he had to deal with and when he had some time after his initial tasks that's exactly what he did. Some guys would make the wheel square if for no other reason just so they can make their mark. You see it in business all the time. You see it in the NFL all the time. Rex is one of the biggest examples of this in the NFL. He is married to the 3-4. He will never change. He is also married to running the show. It has to be a "Rex Ryan" defense as we heard so many times this year (Imagine being a player and having your squad labeled by the HC and not it's players, it would bother me). On our end we didn't riot when this was all playing out because most people looked at 2013's defense also being good and now we would have the master and not the apprentice. It just didn't go that way so people are forcing the Schwartz/Ryan debate as if one could even exist. It was never possible. It's also likely the apprentice was more successful than the master because the apprentice had less you needed to know. All we discussed this year about Rex and what happened to our defense has been discussed and verified by multiple people/players/writers. We played slow, confused, and uninspired. One more season for Rex and given recent history, if we do dump him, the Bills will be switching back to a 4-3 just prior to it's 3-4 roster taking shape.

Edited by KzooMike

Maybe you're right....should we replace "puppet" with "brother"? :)

Rob was fired and basically unemployable as a DC, so he's not too ashamed to collect a check under brother Rex. Schwartz had better options. I don't blame him. I hope for great improvement, but then, it's only a step back towards where we were. I'm just in a foul mood over all this. I'll be fooled and crazy again when the time comes.

I sure hope so!!

Its what we do as Bills Fans.

Do you prefer your koolaid over rocks or straight up !

It is silly to think the Pegulas, Russ, Whaley, or anybody at One Bills Drive ever thought Rex/Schwartz could work. The statements made about retaining Schwartz was PR mumbo, nothing more. If it wasn't I have larger concerns about our front office and it's ability to judge situations and understand the game. Why the delay? People prioritize tasks in new roles. Letting go a coach was not a priority. It was something he had to deal with and when he had some time after his initial tasks that's exactly what he did. Some guys would make the wheel square if for no other reason just so they can make their mark. You see it in business all the time. You see it in the NFL all the time. Rex is one of the biggest examples of this in the NFL. He is married to the 3-4. He will never change. He is also married to running the show. It has to be a "Rex Ryan" defense as we heard so many times this year (Imagine being a player and having your squad labeled by the HC and not it's players, it would bother me). On our end we didn't riot when this was all playing out because most people looked at 2013's defense also being good and now we would have the master and not the apprentice. It just didn't go that way so people are forcing the Schwartz/Ryan debate as if one could even exist. It was never possible. It's also likely the apprentice was more successful than the master because the apprentice had less you needed to know. All we discussed this year about Rex and what happened to our defense has been discussed and verified by multiple people/players/writers. We played slow, confused, and uninspired. One more season for Rex and given recent history, if we do dump him, the Bills will be switching back to a 4-3 just prior to it's 3-4 roster taking shape.

I don't actually like to be contrarian.

But Rex uses the Multiples. as in formation and techs on the line. His defense is predicated on what he expects from the opposing offense, He is certainly not locked into one style or scheme. What he may be stubborn about is his program.

As compared to Jim Schwartz who lets the line " Hunt" Rex is about disguise and counters to fool the Offense.

Some might suggest he is an overthinker. I might suggest he is.

will it work?

Possibly.

Although Ryan reportedly told Schwartz he was welcome to stay in his position as defensive coordinator, Schwartz declined that offer and will seek employment elsewhere in the NFL.http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/three-point-stance/2015/01/13/schwartz-not-returning-as-defensive-coordinator/21686225/

Thanks.

Couple of points...I don't think anyone has ever thrown Vic in with Sully, Gleason and Harrington.

2nd, i did think it was a good article. If the Schwartz thing went down as penned, pretty awful on Rex.

I don't put a ton of stock into what an ex-coach says..not saying right or wrong, just saying I am sure the guy was pretty cheesed off at Rex , maybe with good reason, but still with a reason to talk trash on Rex.

L

Except he didn't trash talk Rex. Schwartz declined to be interviewed (for the article).

There seems to be some confusion, did he quit, or was he fired? If the Bills are still paying him, he was fired.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Except he didn't trash talk Rex. Schwartz declined to be interviewed.

There seems to be some confusion, did he quit, or was he fired? If the Bills are still paying him, he was fired.

the story as reported by Vic last year, is that he was given the opportunity to stay. He declined. The Bills terminated his contract (fired) which allowed him to be paid for two more years. It actually makes sense that they did that given that Thirman was moving In as DC. Whether it's de facto DC or whatever, Schwartz's role would have been minimized by having a HC with such different philosophies in scheme and then Rex's former DC moving in to boot. So it may have felt like he didn't have a chance to stay in the same role, and they should have bought out his contract for that reason. Which they did. Edited by YoloinOhio