Who makes the playoffs first?

CommonCents

The Bills or Jaguars? Sounds simple right? Then pull up a Jaguars depth chart and look at the young talent they have drafted on offense. Bortles is surrounded by weapons. Their offensive line has a mix of young talent and savvy vets.

On defense they have some bright young players in Telvin Smith, Dante Fowler Jr and company. They also are sitting on the 5th pick in the draft and poised to take a lockdown corner. Add into that equation having 70 million to spend in FA and playing in the AFC South.

Compare that to our current cap situation and holes creates by revamping our defense.... Is it a toss up? Being in the East is such a pitfall.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills or Jaguars? Sounds simple right? Then pull up a Jaguars depth chart and look at the young talent they have drafted on offense. Bortles is surrounded by weapons. Their offensive line has a mix of young talent and savvy vets.

On defense they have some bright young players in Telvin Smith, Dante Fowler Jr and company. They also are sitting on the 5th pick in the draft and poised to take a lockdown corner. Add into that equation having 70 million to spend in FA and playing in the AFC South.

Compare that to our current cap situation and holes creates by revamping our defense.... Is it a toss up? Being in the East is such a pitfall.

A few things:

Yes, they have Bortles, who is talented-but-unproven, two seemingly solid wide-outs, and a decent stable of backs. Their OL isn't good...at all. They allowed 51 sacks last year, which is horrendous. Only 3 teams were worse.

They may have some talent on defense, but they really aren't producing at all. Fowler hasn't played a down of NFL football--not even in the preseason. They were 2nd-to-last in the NFL in points allowed per game...and that's playing six games against the worst division in football. For context, opposing offenses ran over 1,100 plays against them last year...the NFL average was 1,030.

They have some potential, but right now, that's all it is...I'll go with the Bills.

It's a coin toss, but I say Jacksonville because of the division they are in. Houston won that weak division last year with Brian Hoyer at QB, Andrew Luck, though lauded by everyone in the media, is as erratic as they come at times. That could be due to the talent around him, ESPECIALLY on the OL, or it could just be who he is as an NFL QB. Both Jax and Buffalo have talent on both sides of the ball, but which coaching staff can put that talent together will be the key. Also, don't forget that the Jags lost their 1st round pick before the season even started. Dante Fowler was supposed to be the guy getting after the QB and wreaking havoc against opposing offenses. They get him back this year as well.

Jags

A few things:

Yes, they have Bortles, who is talented-but-unproven, two seemingly solid wide-outs, and a decent stable of backs. Their OL isn't good...at all. They allowed 51 sacks last year, which is horrendous. Only 3 teams were worse.

They may have some talent on defense, but they really aren't producing at all. Fowler hasn't played a down of NFL football--not even in the preseason. They were 2nd-to-last in the NFL in points allowed per game...and that's playing six games against the worst division in football. For context, opposing offenses ran over 1,100 plays against them last year...the NFL average was 1,030.

They have some potential, but right now, that's all it is...I'll go with the Bills.

i think they fired their DC. Can't remember who they hired offhand. Scapegoat I guess since its Gus's D.

If the Bills Defense finally clicks, i think we make it 1st, it also depends on schedule next year. Also jags got a cake division AFC SOUTH vs AFC EAST. they dont have to play the evil empire twice a year....the jets are decent too, theyre gonna be better next year, better than us? IDK i doubt it tho.

HERES THEIR SCHEDULE NEXT YEAR
http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-16/2016-jacksonville-jaguars-football-schedule.php

2016 Jacksonville Jaguars Opponents Home Houston, Tennessee, Denver, Oakland, Green Bay, Minnesota, Baltimore Away Houston, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Kansas City, San Diego, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo London Indianapolis

HERES OUR SCHEDULE NEXT YEAR
http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-16/2016-buffalo-bills-football-schedule.php

2016 Buffalo Bills Opponents Home Miami, New England, NY Jets, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Arizona, San Francisco, Jacksonville Away Miami, New England, NY Jets, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Seattle, Oakland

Make your picks ladies and gentlemen

Im thinking as long as we stay more healthy then last year we go 9-7 with a shot at the playoffs or 10-6 in the wildcard at best

i think the jags go 7-9 or 9-7 at best which might be enough to make the wild card depending how bad the AFC South is next year, but with a healthy Andrew Luck and a Texans team on the rise as long as they get a QB i doubt it.

Edited by Marty McFly

Bills. Defense improves. Offense improves. 2016 is gonna be OUR year.

Go BILLS !!!

Every team expects its players to improve in the offseason. The Jags have have younger, cheaper pieces and a boatload of cap $ to spend. I made this post to bring attention to how a GM rebuilds a team. Long term projections of the Jags have to look alot better than ours. The Bills have their cap tied up without a contract to a QB, their star wideout, a #1 corner.

We have destroyed our cap on the defensive line and a Swiss army knife tight end (who is probably closer to the 10th best TE than the first). Who builds a team like this? I don't remember any team spending money like we have - in the positions we have. It's terrible and that is on everyone at OBD.

I'd say Jags because of their softer division. Texans were exposed in the playoffs and I believe they will stumble without better QB play, Titans need better weapons for Mariota, and IMO Luck seemed to regress a little bit last year even before he got hurt. Meanwhile, on our end, Brady still looks as good as ever. If they had made better decisions against Denver in the championship game they are probably celebrating their 5th Superbowl championship.

A few things:

51 sacks! LOL suck it Moron Marrone!

I'd say Jags because of their softer division. Texans were exposed in the playoffs and I believe they will stumble without better QB play, Titans need better weapons for Mariota, and IMO Luck seemed to regress a little bit last year even before he got hurt. Meanwhile, on our end, Brady still looks as good as ever. If they had made better decisions against Denver in the championship game they are probably celebrating their 5th Superbowl championship.

Whos gonna be the QB for the Texans next year? You think they gonna draft one, or Matt Castle that ****?

Only bc of weaker division but, I see the Colts returning to good form next year with a healthy Andrew Luck and a better defense through the draft, also if the Texans can get a real Starting quality QB !@#$ it even Bradford, theyll be better then the jags

Bills. Defense improves. Offense improves. 2016 is gonna be OUR year.

Go BILLS !!!

I like the optimism! Hard to find on any Bills fan site lol with due reason....Offensive will improve now that Tyrod will have all the 1st team reps and built a chemistry with Watkins with a healthy groin Woods healthy wrist/hand ligament Hogan next year and hopefully a stand out WR through the draft(De Runna, Coleman( (cut dez lewis). As for the Defense....well IDK....if Whaley can draft the **** outta himself on the defensive side with players like LBs Ragland or jaylon smith not a fan of Nkemdishe, DT/NTs Rankins, Reed, or Adolphus washington, Nassib late round DE, S Byard Byard Byard Byard, and doubtful but could be a hit or miss with OT Rankins. We could make a wild card run if we stay healthier than last year.

Jags

God hates us remember?

Plus the NFL will finally reward them for being such good sports about all the London games

CBF

That London pick 6 horror movie still haunts me.....what pissed me off even more was seeing Moron Marrone laughing on the sidelines at poor Ej

Oh God. The Jaguars are the team that, all season, this website was holding up as some standard like "see, look at Jacksonville, they get it. They're off and running. They got the franchise QB. They're competing for their division. And look at lowly us..." Guess what? If Taylor plays in London they finish 4-12 and we finish 9-7. The Bills.

Okay a few things to respond to here....

First of all Metz - you have no way of knowing what the score would have been had Tyrod played at Wembley - I like to think we'd have won but nobody can ever know for certain.

Second - I am an avowed Bortles fan - I am on record as saying if I was taking a QB early in 2014 it would have been Bortle and he played really well in 2015. They have also found themselves two very talented young wideouts in Robinson and Hurns and Yeldon has promise at running back. But the argument that "oh they have those positions sorted and a lot of cap room look what a great state they are in..." is a flawed one.

They have a lot of cap room because they have basically no defense and no offensive line. And none of Bortles, Robinson, Hurns or Yeldon has got paid yet. Trying to hold them up as a model franchise who are heading the right way is a little rich for me. The Bradley defense not unlike the Schwartz defense lives or dies ultimately by the pressure the front 4 can generate. Deonte Fowler will come back next year but they need a big top quality presence in the middle of that defensive line capable of disrupting and penetrating and they need a whole new secondary - only the corner that came over from Green Bay is anything better than "back up" standard as far as I can see. Luke Joeckel - the first draft pick of this regime has been an unmitigated disaster, AJ Cann the guard who they drafted last year had a John Miller like up and down rookie year but the tackle play was dismal on both sides.

Jacksonville actually needs to learn a little from the Bills model and needs to start tooling itself up on defense. Even if that means they lose one of the talented receivers when contract renewal time comes round because they cannot win with the current mess on that side of the ball.

Third - the argument that the Bills cap management makes no sense.... it is a tricky one. The Bills were managing the cap very sensibly before the last offseason. The way they set up the D-line contracts always meant that Hughes and Dareus really started to cash in at points when the Bills could easily get out from under the Mario and Kyle deals. Move the old guys on let the younger guys take on the leadership roles. It was a sensible plan. The criticism that can be made is the McCoy and Clay deals then blew the cap management strategy apart and took up $$s that would have been there to potentially commit to to a Quarterback and (planning ahead) to keeping Sammy. I made the argument yesterday as to why I think the McCoy deal made a certain amount of sense in isolation. Who knows how that turns out given what he is now facing. At the time I liked the Charles Clay deal as well... but when you delve into that deal... it is a tough one for the Bills. And he is a system fit. I would probably rank him somewhere between the 6th and 8th best tight end in the league.... but he was a perfect style fit for Roman's offense in terms of his ability to block, flex out, play in line etc and hence they overpaid to get him.

I think my feeling on Clay and McCoy is really - they could afford to take a punt on one but not both. Either deal in isolation is defensible. Both together starts to look irresponsible... but I tell you what else it looks like - it looks like a team that really thought it was loading up for a run and that is why the 8-8 was such a disappointment - especially given the schedule.

So if you are still awake reading all that.... who do I think might make the play-offs first...... I think the Jags could as a result of their division. I think they could make it and still be a poorer team than a Bills squad that didn't make it. However, I don't see either getting in in 2016. So for 2017 I give a slight edge to the Bills.

Okay a few things to respond to here....

First of all Metz - you have no way of knowing what the score would have been had Tyrod played at Wembley - I like to think we'd have won but nobody can ever know for certain.

Second - I am an avowed Bortles fan - I am on record as saying if I was taking a QB early in 2014 it would have been Bortle and he played really well in 2015. They have also found themselves two very talented young wideouts in Robinson and Hurns and Yeldon has promise at running back. But the argument that "oh they have those positions sorted and a lot of cap room look what a great state they are in..." is a flawed one.

They have a lot of cap room because they have basically no defense and no offensive line. And none of Bortles, Robinson, Hurns or Yeldon has got paid yet. Trying to hold them up as a model franchise who are heading the right way is a little rich for me. The Bradley defense not unlike the Schwartz defense lives or dies ultimately by the pressure the front 4 can generate. Deonte Fowler will come back next year but they need a big top quality presence in the middle of that defensive line capable of disrupting and penetrating and they need a whole new secondary - only the corner that came over from Green Bay is anything better than "back up" standard as far as I can see. Luke Joeckel - the first draft pick of this regime has been an unmitigated disaster, AJ Cann the guard who they drafted last year had a John Miller like up and down rookie year but the tackle play was dismal on both sides.

Jacksonville actually needs to learn a little from the Bills model and needs to start tooling itself up on defense. Even if that means they lose one of the talented receivers when contract renewal time comes round because they cannot win with the current mess on that side of the ball.

Third - the argument that the Bills cap management makes no sense.... it is a tricky one. The Bills were managing the cap very sensibly before the last offseason. The way they set up the D-line contracts always meant that Hughes and Dareus really started to cash in at points when the Bills could easily get out from under the Mario and Kyle deals. Move the old guys on let the younger guys take on the leadership roles. It was a sensible plan. The criticism that can be made is the McCoy and Clay deals then blew the cap management strategy apart and took up $$s that would have been there to potentially commit to to a Quarterback and (planning ahead) to keeping Sammy. I made the argument yesterday as to why I think the McCoy deal made a certain amount of sense in isolation. Who knows how that turns out given what he is now facing. At the time I liked the Charles Clay deal as well... but when you delve into that deal... it is a tough one for the Bills. And he is a system fit. I would probably rank him somewhere between the 6th and 8th best tight end in the league.... but he was a perfect style fit for Roman's offense in terms of his ability to block, flex out, play in line etc and hence they overpaid to get him.

I think my feeling on Clay and McCoy is really - they could afford to take a punt on one but not both. Either deal in isolation is defensible. Both together starts to look irresponsible... but I tell you what else it looks like - it looks like a team that really thought it was loading up for a run and that is why the 8-8 was such a disappointment - especially given the schedule.

So if you are still awake reading all that.... who do I think might make the play-offs first...... I think the Jags could as a result of their division. I think they could make it and still be a poorer team than a Bills squad that didn't make it. However, I don't see either getting in in 2016. So for 2017 I give a slight edge to the Bills.

Dude Jacksonville wasn't even good that day- by Jacksonville standards. Of course they would've won with Taylor. It's not even a question. They got a healthy McCoy back and he looked great. Our defense wasn't even that bad that game prior to the wining drive. They sucked on both sides of the ball. I just think it's amusing that all season long people were like "even Jacksonville has passed us, what a joke we are" and they ended up 5-11.