McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

There were three players involved and 3 cops. Two cops got hurt. Shady threw a punch. Don't know which one he punched. Don't know what injury he caused. Don't know what damage the other players did.

Except that there were 4 people listed as suspects (4 players involved) and only 2 of the 3 off-duty policemen apparently involved.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure it matters re: question 1. Once you have a guy on the ground and you are gang stomping him, it doesn't matter why they were fighting.

Question 2: it doesn't matter if he dealt the skull cracking hit.

yeah, pretty sure it's "collective" at that point.

I'm going to guess he gets 3 games.

That video makes it clear that he wasn't an innocent bystander, and he wasn't the most egregious offender (the champagne bottle swinger).

I think it'll be more, because I think the league is sensitive to the fact that Brady got 4 games for the most minor of infractions while Ray Rice initially got two. The key fact here is that the guys who got stomped on were cops. I have a hunch that the league will see a 3-game suspension as a "bad look" for the league. They have nothing to lose by bringing the hammer down in any case.

Except that there were 4 people listed as suspects (4 players involved) and only 2 of the 3 off-duty policemen apparently involved.

i meant three other players besides McCoy . There were 3 officers there, only two hurt. The third may or may not have been "involved". Edited by YoloinOhio

I think it'll be more, because I think the league is sensitive to the fact that Brady got 4 games for the most minor of infractions while Ray Rice initially got two. The key fact here is that the guys who got stomped on were cops. I have a hunch that the league will see a 3-game suspension as a "bad look" for the league. They have nothing to lose by bringing the hammer down in any case.

I'm not so sure. It's not as if the officers were performing their duties when the fracas broke out.

Maybe the fact that two of Philly's finest were involved in the altercation works in McCoy's favour. Unless the evidence shows that the players were the clear aggressors and the cops just defending themselves the fact that the athletes were the better street fighters maybe accounts by itself for the result. If its really a case where both the cops and the players were equally at fault the police and the DA might have to charge everyone involved or face the argument that they were taking sides and using the criminal justice system to selectively punish only the non law enforcement participants. They may not be above doing that in a low profile situation but this one attracts national attention and they may be wary of the spotlight. Or maybe they go ahead and charge everyone with something but with the players having the more onerous charges. Maybe the two cops decide (or are encouraged) to not press charges. Boys will be boys, especially bad boys.

Dangnabbit now I'm going to have to eat crow to John C. It doesn't matter who was the aggressor, once someone is down and no imminent threat exists, you don't get to stomp them.

No DA is going to press charges against a cop who was injured in a bar fight. The DA could care less against the argument that they are "taking sides", they have a symbiotic relationship with the police and they aren't going to poison that without overwhelming evidence or pressure, national attention or no.

The problem here is that the cops got the crap kicked out of them and suffered actual injuries that require insurance payments.

What does insurance have to do with criminal responsibility? And what does insurance coverage (or the lack thereof) as between the insurer and insured have to do with determining even the civil consequences as between the participants in the altercation? What am I missing here?

Dangnabbit now I'm going to have to eat crow to John C. It doesn't matter who was the aggressor, once someone is down and no imminent threat exists, you don't get to stomp them.

No DA is going to press charges against a cop who was injured in a bar fight. The DA could care less against the argument that they are "taking sides", they have a symbiotic relationship with the police and they aren't going to poison that without overwhelming evidence or pressure, national attention or no.

Maybe so, but that "symbiotic relationship" may come under some serious and probably embarassing scrutiny then IMO. Remember the DA in Florida wouldnt even indict Ahern for shooting a guy's face off because he would'nt press charges - even tho he could be forced to give his evidence under oath or be in contempt.

I never meant to be so bad to you

One thing I said that I would never do

A look from you and I would fall from grace

And that would wipe this smile right from my face

Do you remember when we used to dance

And incidence arose from circumstance

One thing lead to another we were young

And we would scream together songs unsung

It was the heat of the moment

Telling me what your heart meant

The heat of the moment shone in your eyes

Yup.

What does insurance have to do with criminal responsibility? And what does insurance coverage (or the lack thereof) as between the insurer and insured have to do with determining even the civil consequences as between the participants in the altercation? What am I missing here?

Easy lawsuit.

They also need to be cognizant that they reduced Greg Hardy's suspension to 4 games on appeal...even though he was on the exemption list, the de facto suspension was 10 reduced to 4.

There's a lot at play here, so who knows? I think it'll end up at 3.

I'm going to guess he gets 3 games.

That video makes it clear that he wasn't an innocent bystander, and he wasn't the most egregious offender (the champagne bottle swinger).

There is a video of him throwing a punch. In the court that is one punch too many. If the civilians want to press charges of assault against McCoy, video is there. It does not matter if he was the most egregious offender.

Shady's best possible outcome is to open the check book and pay these guys off so that they will not cooperate with the prosecution. Perhaps then the prosecution goes away. Frankly, I have had enough of the guy. First season he gets a big pay raise, and was hurt too frequently. Outside of a few good games, he really had no impact on the season. May be time to consider cutting ties.

Just a guess but someone who exhibits this type of judgement is not going to change anytime soon.

Shady's best possible outcome is to open the check book and pay these guys off so that they will not cooperate with the prosecution. Perhaps then the prosecution goes away. Frankly, I have had enough of the guy. First season he gets a big pay raise, and was hurt too frequently. Outside of a few good games, he really had no impact on the season. May be time to consider cutting ties.

Just a guess but someone who exhibits this type of judgement is not going to change anytime soon.

This is just a false statement.

There is a video of him throwing a punch. In the court that is one punch too many. If the civilians want to press charges of assault against McCoy, video is there. It does not matter if he was the most egregious offender.

What does that have to do with anything that I said?

What does that have to do with anything that I said?

Hes going to get more than 3 games, I have no doubts.

A person called Ray Rice is sitting watching this closely because there is a video of McCoy punching someone.

Because of that incident McCoy is gone for awhile.

A person called Ray Rice is sitting watching this closely because there is a video of McCoy punching someone.

rice only got 2 games. His team decided to cut him. He wasn't signed by anyone because he isn't good enough to deal with the PR (opposite of Hardy). If it happened today, he'd get 6 games automatically since its DV. This isn't DV. So we don't know what McCoy will get. Edited by YoloinOhio

They also need to be cognizant that they reduced Greg Hardy's suspension to 4 games on appeal...even though he was on the exemption list, the de facto suspension was 10 reduced to 4.

There's a lot at play here, so who knows? I think it'll end up at 3.

Good point about Hardy. That said, Hardy also sat out a full season!

Not even close.

A bar fight that includes multiple intoxicated grown men on each side is not even close to a grown man (let alone a pro athlete) punching his (female) fiancee in the face in an enclosed area and then lying about it.

And if he gets more than 3 games, then he's getting at least as much as Greg Hardy got when his appeal reduced his suspension--and he threw a woman across a room onto a bed covered in automatic weapons.

If you go to this site, check out the comment section. Amazing.

yeah, pretty bad.

Not even close.

A bar fight that includes multiple intoxicated grown men on each side is not even close to a grown man (let alone a pro athlete) punching his (female) fiancee in the face in an enclosed area and then lying about it.

And if he gets more than 3 games, then he's getting at least as much as Greg Hardy got when his appeal reduced his suspension--and he threw a woman across a room onto a bed covered in automatic weapons.

But ... cops. It matters.