This superbowl sucked? Really? Wow! Silly me!

I loved yesterday's Superbowl. Fantastic, hard-hitting, tight, well-fought game, nothing too out of control or dirty, overall the Zebras did their job but didn't try to decide the game. Great storyline - aging "sheriff" facing brash young gunslinger, epic defensive battle, in reach for both teams almost until the end.

Well, silly me - it seems this superbowl sucked!

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/why_you_hated_the_super_bowl_this_year.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/super_bowl_50_was_a_terrible_game_here_is_a_video_of_the_10_saddest_plays.html

Apparently it was a "stinker", a "“a grim, joyless, maddeningly ugly football game".

Really?

I enjoyed it more than I can remember enjoying a championship game. Two years ago beatdown of the Broncos by the Seahawks, now that was dullsville.

Last year, well, that was the Patriots, naturally I couldn't enjoy it especially with the horrible playcall at the end.

I guess I just watch football differently.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved yesterday's Superbowl. Fantastic, hard-hitting, tight, well-fought game, nothing too out of control or dirty, overall the Zebras did their job but didn't try to decide the game. Great storyline - aging "sheriff" facing brash young gunslinger, epic defensive battle, in reach for both teams almost until the end.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/why_you_hated_the_super_bowl_this_year.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/02/super_bowl_50_was_a_terrible_game_here_is_a_video_of_the_10_saddest_plays.html

Apparently it was a "stinker", a "“a grim, joyless, maddeningly ugly football game".

Really?

I enjoyed it more than I can remember enjoying a championship game. Two years ago beatdown of the Broncos by the Seahawks, now that was dullsville.

Last year, well, that was the Patriots, naturally I couldn't enjoy it especially with the horrible playcall at the end.

Everyone says they love a defensive battle until it actually happens.

I don't know about any one else i thought it was a great game ! I loved that the old man's team showed the youngster how to be humbled to the masses !

That was the biggest thing about Newton that i couldn't stand, his ego , as long as he is winning all is GREAT look at what we are doing look at me !

But when your on the losing side of things he showed his immature ass more than once not to mention how he gave up on getting the fumble recovery !! What a joke ! You think Jimbo would have stood there & jumped away from the ball, heck Peyton would have dove in & got it !!

But i just hope the taste of humble pie maybe sets Newtons out put on the ego side of things in a little better perspective let's say ...

Really?

I live in NC and I was admittedly pulling for the Panthers...So I'm absolutely biased...

That being said...

I thought the game sucked overall...But mostly because what the Panthers have done all year, they failed do in that game...And that was basically getting contributions from 1-53...Dropped passes (one leading to a devastating TO), dropped INT's, penalties, fumbles, and whatever the heck that was on the punt return...I just felt like the Panthers did not rise to the occasion of the game, and it made for a less than exciting overall product...I also felt the early no-catch call was wrong (albeit very close), and two plays later the Broncos got what turned out to be the biggest play of the game...Plus the no-call PI right before the Panthers 2nd half FG was a joke IMHO...

The Broncos won with basically no offense...Their Defense was lights-out no question...They deserve a ton of credit...But the Panthers team I watched all year did not show up in this game whatsoever...And I realize the story line will always be that the Bronco's Defense caused that...And they did to an extent...But the Panthers team I knew caught those passes and those INT's all season...And should have cruised to victory in that game...

So...Anyway...Congrats to the Broncos...I was definitely not a fan of the game overall though...I though it was a snoozer... :thumbdown:

I also thought it was a good football game and was surprised to hear people talking about it as some sort of dud. I thoroughly enjoy defensive battles. Always have. I mean, you just got to see a top 5 all time defense dominate one of the better offenses in recent memory. It was quite spectacular actually. Counterpoint would be that Cam was off and I get that. If he hits some of those throws he usually makes, it's a different game.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I liked the game. It reminded people that football isn't all about quarterbacks.

Both defenses played well and Denver's defenders left the field as the day's heroes.

It was an old-fashioned slug fest that unfolded in unexpected ways and proved a lot of pundits wrong.

I liked the game. It reminded people that football isn't all about quarterbacks.

Both defenses played well and Denver's defenders left the field as the day's heroes.

It was an old-fashioned slug fest that unfolded in unexpected ways and proved a lot of pundits wrong.

Exactly. And people need that reminder sometimes. I remember watching a Titans-Ravens playoff game that year the Titans went 14-2 with Kerry Collins and it was so scrappy and yards were so hard to come by, must've been like a 17-14 game and I remember thinking that was exactly the kind of football game I like and then being surprised when everyone else was saying it was boring.

Apparently it was a "stinker", a "a grim, joyless, maddeningly ugly football game".

Really?

I enjoyed it a lot as well. Tight defense is enjoyable. We really don't need mega offense to make it interesting. Edited by Manther

Great Defenses playing in the same game is rare. The consequences of 2 great D's playing are turnovers. Both QB's got balls batted out of the hand during a quick throw, causing turnovers. Helmets to ball cause RB's to fumble. Clever D-schemes cause unsuspecting DL to be in mid-field passing lanes, causing INTs. Routine 3 and outs are what great Defenses are merited on.

Very few 1st downs and many turnovers create the image of a sloppy, poor game. You have to look closer. It was an epic battle to the end of attrition and survival.

But the Panthers team I watched all year did not show up in this game whatsoever

That's because the Panthers team you watched all season had a cupcake schedule and didn't have to play one of the great D's of the past decade.

Hopeful -- I watch as much football as anyone, and in my opinion that was a stinker of a Super Bowl. No flow whatsoever. Whether it was because both defenses overwhelmed both offenses, there were too many penalties, I don't know -- but it stunk. I was so glad to be at a party because if I'd been watching it at home I would probably have found something else to do with it on in the background.

You're entitled to your opinion, obviously -- but I've got to side with the folks criticizing this one.

When they rank the 50 SBs in order of entertainment level this one is in the bottom third for sure.

Really?

It was a good game. Last year's was much better though.