I May Be The Only One !

T master

I heard comments made by Cam that people are afraid of him because he's a black QB and no one knows who to compare him to. Really? :rolleyes:

This has been repeated by clowns like Bomani Jones (the absolute worst radio show ever). He said it's because he's black and that people have never seen someone like him before. When challenged with names of other black QBs, Jones persisted in saying (white) people feel uncomfortable because they haven't seen such a (black) QB before. When again pressed as to why Newton is different, Joens said "he's the best 3rd down and short threat in the history of the game".

So, white America is afraid/leery of Newton....because he's the best 3rd and short threat ever.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Cam know that this is the fourth SB in a row where the NFC team's QB is black (or whatever Colin K is)?

As long as there is mileage to be gained by rehashing race, the media will keep doing it. They need to come up with something to talk about during the two week hype-fest. You'd think 28 years after Doug Williams we'd be done with this nonsense.

I like Cam, but he needs a dose of humility. Hope Denver wins and Cam has a dreadful game. Again, I like Cam, but he needs to come down to earth with the "People are scared of me" stuff. Would like to see Superman meet his Kryptonite, a blind side sack by Von Miller as Cam attempts the last pass of the game to try and win it. Oh, and for Miller to thrust his pelvis in superman's face after. But that's just me.

Edited by Dopey

In response to the OP, you're not the only one. I, as well, would like to see Peyton Manning leave the game on top with another Superbowl victory. So many people out there are suggesting that if you're rooting for Manning that somehow you have to be rooting against Cam Newton. I personally don't see that at all. As far as not seeing a black quarterback that can run before, do we so quickly forget Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, and Randall Cunningham? Culpepper may be the best comparison, although he was more accurate as a passer in an era that allowed a LOT more physical contact between defensive backs and receivers. White America afraid? Laughable suggestion at best. Newton will have many more years in the NFL to get a ring or three. What's so wrong with wanting one of the best if not the best quarterback in the history of the NFL to win it all one more time before he hangs it up? Too much damned race card being played today in every facet of society. Takes a lot away from movements that are trying to make real points like BLM.

With all the hype of the upcoming SB & how GREAT Cam is with his Superman persona

I really really hope Peyton can for just one game reach back in time from his experience or what ever it takes

AND KICKS THEIR A** IN SB 50 !!

I'm sort of assuming this is Peyton's last game, and if that's the case you're not alone. It would be great if he could find one last great game in himself. It would be a perfect end to a great career.

I have always liked Cam Newton, and I have always kinda liked the Broncos, and separately, always kinda liked Manning...so, cliché as it is, I am just hoping for a good game...the result doesn't matter so much to me. After mostly dreadful Super Bowls between 1985-1998, we have been treated to some pretty memorable championship games over the last 15 years or so...the only really terrible ones were the Colts/Bears, and Broncos/Seahawks...Mannings greatest and worst moments...

As long as there is mileage to be gained by rehashing race, the media will keep doing it. They need to come up with something to talk about during the two week hype-fest. You'd think 28 years after Doug Williams we'd be done with this nonsense.

:lol:

Williams was the first African-American QB to start a Super Bowl and agrees with Cam that race is a motivating factor behind criticism of the Panthers' star.

With all the hype of the upcoming SB & how GREAT Cam is with his Superman persona

I really really hope Peyton can for just one game reach back in time from his experience or what ever it takes

AND KICKS THEIR A** IN SB 50 !!

I don't get this at all.

First off, over in the Superbowl 50 thread (why did we need a separate thread for this?), you can see about 25% of the respondents think the Broncs will win. Then there are more (like myself) whose hearts would like to see Peyton get a glorious ride into the sunset, but whose heads look at the fact that Denver's mediocre offense rode a fantastic D into the SB, but Carolina is a complete team on both sides of the ball and say "would like to see it, but not gonna happen".

That said, I don't get at all the idea of picking the SB winner based on hatred of the media hype around one of the QB. I thought Cam was a typical entitled athlete jerk at U Florida, but he did his year at junior college and kept his nose clean at Auburn and he's clearly grown in the NFL, both as a QB and a teammate. If the media is hyping him, it's because he's produced hype-worthy play.

Plus he advertises yogurt and gives footballs to little kids, spreading lactobacillus and joy, who could hate that?

As some posters mentioned Cam and The Espn talking heads are pumping up the race debate and it's disgusting. Russel Wilson is black is he not? I don't remember anything like this as far as coverage. If Cam Newton has people that don't like him it has alot more to do with his shenagings than the color of his skin.

Stephen A. Smith, Skip, Bomani, Michael Smith and Jamelle Hill all love to harp on the color of a mans skin instead of his behavior. Look how many people hate Johnny Manziel for his antics. He is white last time I checked. What turned the tide against Johnny? Him running around giving the money sign after every first down.

Well, that's the headline, but Williams actual comments were a bit more ambiguous:

“I'm not going to be the one who says what my thinking is, because sometimes it don't matter what I think. It ain't going to matter what he thinks. Because at the end of the day, you've got a lot of people denying (racism is behind the criticism of Newton), that that's not true. Even if it's true, they're going to deny it."

“I think Cam is mature enough, he knows what he's up against. He knows what he has to deal with. And he's got a daddy, he's got grandparents, he's got older people who've lived in this world long enough to understand why a lot of things happen to certain people. He's got a right to understand that (race) could be one of the problems.”

Williams seems to have two points: 1) generations of black people have experienced racism and can advise Cam that racism sill exists and can be a problem 2) people who are motivated by racism will deny it. Kind of hard to disagree, especially when it comes from the guy who was the lowest-paid QB in the NFL while leading Tampa Bay to 3 playoff appearances in 4 years and who left the NFL for 3 years because he couldn't negotiate comparable QB pay.

On the other hand when the author of the article quotes Cam as saying:

I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to," Newton said, and it's not difficult to see that he has a point.

.....I guess I do find it difficult to see that he has a point that he may scare a lot of people because "they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to". Is 6'4" 220 lb (ha!) Doug Williams really so much smaller and "less scary" than 6'5" 245 lb Newton? Other black QB - Daunte Culpepper? Randall Cunningham? (picking 2 I think of as big, and dual threat) What about all the big, and celebratory gifted black athletes playing other positions in the NFL and playing other professional sports like basketball? What about our own beloved Bruce Smith, for that matter - if you want to find a huge, intimidating, highly publicized, smiley celebratory black athlete?

What is it that Cam thinks people haven't seen before?

Besides...yogurt

Edited by Hopeful

As some posters mentioned Cam and The Espn talking heads are pumping up the race debate and it's disgusting. Russel Wilson is black is he not? I don't remember anything like this as far as coverage. If Cam Newton has people that don't like him it has alot more to do with his shenagings than the color of his skin.

Stephen A. Smith, Skip, Bomani, Michael Smith and Jamelle Hill all love to harp on the color of a mans skin instead of his behavior. Look how many people hate Johnny Manziel for his antics. He is white last time I checked. What turned the tide against Johnny? Him running around giving the money sign after every first down.

I was just about to do the Manziel comparsion myself. The only difference is that Manziel's antics on the field have been completely silenced due to his lack of success. If Manziel were a successful NFL QB leading his team to the Super Bowl we'd be hearing the same things about him.

No QB is as in your face about their success as Newton. It's something people haven't seen before. People are going to have unique reactions. What would you expect?

Yup; grist for the mill and sadly we still have lots of fans dumb enough to lap it up on demand and spread the word.

The 'showy player' most despised on this board is certainly the little white guy who plays WR for the Pats*, not Cam Newton. There hasn't been much backlash over Newton this year at all but now suddenly it's the story of the Super Bowl? I don't buy it. The reason most people are rooting for Denver is because Peyton Manning has been the face of the NFL since Favre retired -- people like him. Simple as that.

I like Cam, but he needs a dose of humility. Hope Denver wins and Cam has a dreadful game. Again, I like Cam, but he needs to come down to earth with the "People are scared of me" stuff. Would like to see Superman meet his Kryptonite, a blind side sack by Von Miller as Cam attempts the last pass of the game to try and win it. Oh, and for Miller to thrust his pelvis in superman's face after. But that's just me.

Based on the rest of your post, you sure have a weird way of showing it! I'm curious as to what you wish for people you DON'T like!

Edited by WotAGuy

Yup; grist for the mill and sadly we still have lots of fans dumb enough to lap it up on demand and spread the word.

The 'showy player' most despised on this board is certainly the little white guy who plays WR for the Pats*, not Cam Newton. There hasn't been much backlash over Newton this year at all but now suddenly it's the story of the Super Bowl? I don't buy it. The reason most people are rooting for Denver is because Peyton Manning has been the face of the NFL since Favre retired -- people like him. Simple as that.

Right. The same way neutral fans cheered for Bettis. Heck even Mr. Deer Antler Spray had the majority of neutral fans enjoying his final run at a SB. This race thing is being way over played. Sure racism still exists in the world today but the media is really doing an injustice by putting a microscope on a sport that is 75% African American.

Is it because he plays QB? Oh no Russel Wilson did that the past two years. Buffalo is a good example here too. I would bet out of all NFL cities it is one of the highest with a predominately white populace. They would never want a black QB leading their team right? Insert Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manual, Thad Lewis ...none of whom pulled the race card. Taylor is a few more good starts away from getting the keys to the city.

.....I guess I do find it difficult to see that he has a point that he may scare a lot of people because "they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to". Is 6'4" 220 lb (ha!) Doug Williams really so much smaller and "less scary" than 6'5" 245 lb Newton? Other black QB - Daunte Culpepper? Randall Cunningham? (picking 2 I think of as big, and dual threat)

Vince Young Height: 6-5 Weight: 232

Besides...yogurt

I like the one where he gets in the tub with Mrs. Olsen.

Cam actually missed out on a chance to become America's favorite person of all time when the Pats lost this past week.

Imagine the Patriots back in the Super Bowl, and Cam Newton the one who stopped the cheating patriots! Idk if my heart could have taken it and i'm glad i don't have to stress again until next year.

I'll be rooting for the Broncos, go Payton!