25 Years Ago Today The Bills Were Robbed Of SB XXV

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As previously chronicled, the game could have and should have easily been over well before that last drive had the Bills done what they were supposed to do.

But but but -- if he makes that play they probably win! The Giants were a very good team, btw - they were 13-3 and had just beaten the champs in SF, who went 14-2. They had the best defense in the league too - 1st in points allowed and 2nd in yards allowed.

Edited by dave mcbride

Ah the return of the x-files and conspiracy abounds.

CIGARETTE-SMOKING MAN: I couldn't care less. What I don't want to see is the Bills winning the Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen.

JONES: That'll be tough, sir. Buffalo wants it bad.

But but but -- if he makes that play they probably win! The Giants were a very good team, btw - they were 13-3 and had just beaten the champs in SF, who went 14-2. They had the best defense in the league too - 1st in points allowed and 2nd in yards allowed.

Sorry Dave.....No buts! With a 12-3 lead after the Safety, the Bills had an excellent opportunity to go up 19-3 to put quite a bit of pressure on the NYG who were not built for comebacks from such deficits. Not only that, but the Bills could have unleashed their pass rush on the Giants to give Hoss hell.

Sorry Dave.....No buts! With a 12-3 lead after the Safety, the Bills had an excellent opportunity to go up 19-3 to put quite a bit of pressure on the NYG who were not built for comebacks from such deficits. Not only that, but the Bills could have unleashed their pass rush on the Giants to give Hoss hell.

Regardless, it was a crappy play by him. I'm not forgiving Edwards.

The Bills have no one to blame but themselves for even being in that position. They treated the whole week like a party and didn't prepare to win a game properly. If they had, they would have beat the Giants by 2 touchdowns.

Regardless, it was a crappy play by him. I'm not forgiving Edwards.

Scrub FA locking up against All-Pro CB :) Yup, if Al holds his block a split second longer, Thurman is in the endzone. Walls made a heck of a play, though.

Scrub FA locking up against All-Pro CB :) Yup, if Al holds his block a split second longer, Thurman is in the endzone. Walls made a heck of a play, though.

No excuses, GG! He's gotta make that freaking play. I mean, the effing Super Bowl was on the line. Force Walls inside like he's supposed to, and game over.

Score 20 -19 Giants leading.

:40 time left in the game.

Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly passes the ball to Buffalo Bills tight end Keith McKeller. McKeller catches the ball at the Giants 40 yard line.

The pass is a obvious completion but 10 seconds after McKelller caught the ball the official on the field calls for a review to see if it was a completed pass. You can see in the Youtube video above that the ball was no closer than three inches from the ground.

So, why did the official call for a review? Stopping the game.

Just before the official called for the review of McKeller's obvious catch the Buffalo Bills are lined up in a pass situation, with the receivers to the outside. The Giants pass defense was not ready for the play.

When the play resumed you can hear game television analyst Frank Gifford say "That (review) did give the Giants pass rush a little breather."

And because the Giants pass rush was given the gift of a "little breather" when the Bills lined up again they had a run play to Thurman Thomas who picked up 10 yards but still not in Buffalo Bills kicker Scott Norwood's range.

Analysis: Had the official not called for a review of McKeller's obvious catch, the Bills would have easily gotten off a pass play against the Giants unprepared pass defense. The Bills receivers were lined up to the outside, ready to go out of bounds stopping the clock when (if) the ball was caught. Then the Bills either could have had Thurman Thomas run the ball or tried for pass again. Then the ball would have been well within the FG range for kicker Scott Norwood. Then spike the ball to bring on Norwood.

The Scott Norwood field goal is good.

Final score:

Buffalo Bills - 22

New York Giants - 20

Buffalo Bills - Super Bowl XXV Champions!

I'll take it :thumbsup:

but it was wide so distance may not have mattered.

Giants wanted it more.

True, Thurman should of have a record day. If the giant adjusted, then they could of gone back to the pass. That Marv being a great baby sitter, but terrible coach.

It wasn't Levy, it was Jim Kelly who went to the pass rather than the run, or so says one of the O lineman from that team, who shall remain nameless.

The Music City Miracle was still more painful in my opinion. That day changed the franchise.

We lost this Super Bowl but kept annoying the NFL by going back, back and back again.

This Super Bowl was a spear. MSM was a trident.

nope

Ah the return of the x-files and conspiracy abounds.

CIGARETTE-SMOKING MAN: I couldn't care less. What I don't want to see is the Bills winning the Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen.

JONES: That'll be tough, sir. Buffalo wants it bad.

time to kill the smoking man

Am I the only one who blames Al Freakin' Edwards??

who?