25 Years Ago Today The Bills Were Robbed Of SB XXV

Look at the clock management of that last drive too. Kelly didn't feed Thomas the ball nearly enough that game but you're going to run the ball with 27 seconds left on the clock and no TOs left? Yeah, not a good idea, particularly when you know your kicker has limited range.

This had me yelling at the TV that night, and still irks me 25 years later. LOL I also thought that the clock management was terrible on that final drive, and they could have, and should have, gotten at least about 7-10 yards closer, in order to give Scotty an easier kick.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iirc the last drive right before the missed field goal the bills had a giants player way off side and struggling to get off the field and we called a timeout instead of snapping the ball and getting a free 5 yards. Which would have put the ball through the uprights if the kick was exactly the same.

edit. It was at 48 seconds left on the clockin the video. Just before the catch and review

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Wow 25 years ago watching that kick go wide I was in utter disbelief. In a way I still am. Still one of the worst moments of my life. As ridiculous as it sounds to have a sporting event actually compete with serious life events. But I was absolutely gutted. Just the unfairness of it all. They were so great, they played so well, the long suffering fans deserved it, the city deserved it, the coaches, everyone and it it never happened. Still outrages me!

In order of responsibility:

Levy

Talley

Norwood

Wright

Kelly

Outcoached, outplayed, and outschemed.

I still do not understand the love Talley gets from this board. He was never that good and he was awful in this game.

I will concede Levy managed egos, but you know what so did Parcells, Walsh, Noll, Madden, and Shula. The Bills were unprepared to play and did not adjust during the game.

Billycheat was up to his cheating ways. I recall many times during the game when the Giants needed a greater one of the defenders would be laying on the ground in agonizing pain etc only to go off field and be back in a play or two. They shutdown the no huddle with the rush 2 and cover but slowed the pace more with the faked injuries.

Billycheat was up to his cheating ways. I recall many times during the game when the Giants needed a greater one of the defenders would be laying on the ground in agonizing pain etc only to go off field and be back in a play or two. They shutdown the no huddle with the rush 2 and cover but slowed the pace more with the faked injuries.

Which was pretty common practice in those days. The Bills didn't lose because they couldn't run the hurry up as often as they wanted. They lost because they called a dumb game and failed to execute.

The Bills weren't robbed. They were their own worst enemy in many ways. Thurman ran all other the Giants in the fist half and they stopped feeding him the rock in the second. Defensively, that team was limited and I always felt like they should've bolstered the D-Line during that run. Jeff Wright played beyond his potential but he still was a liability. Additionally, Walt Corey was a mediocre coordinator, at best. How do you have an innovator like Marchibroda on one side and a dud like Corey to coach the defense. Lastly, I love Marv, but a truly great coach has control of his team and gets them to focus on the biggest game of their lives, not the Tampa nightlife.A stronger coach and we win that game going away.

I agree with everything you wrote. Marv was good not great; Parcells was head and shoulders above him.

@WGRZ

WATCH: @AdamBenigni interview #Bills HOF QB Jim Kelly about Super Bowl XXV http://on.wgrz.com/1JGnxAe

It's interesting watching this video how much Kelly is a peace with what happened and isn't tortured by the memory or stuck on "what if". He has tremendous prospective as a human being and I strongly suspect that is driven by his faith.

Score 20 -19 Giants leading.

:40 time left in the game.

Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly passes the ball to Buffalo Bills tight end Keith McKeller. McKeller catches the ball at the Giants 40 yard line.

The pass is a obvious completion but 10 seconds after McKelller caught the ball the official on the field calls for a review to see if it was a completed pass. You can see in the Youtube video above that the ball was no closer than three inches from the ground.

So, why did the official call for a review? Stopping the game.

Just before the official called for the review of McKeller's obvious catch the Buffalo Bills are lined up in a pass situation, with the receivers to the outside. The Giants pass defense was not ready for the play.

When the play resumed you can hear game television analyst Frank Gifford say "That (review) did give the Giants pass rush a little breather."

And because the Giants pass rush was given the gift of a "little breather" when the Bills lined up again they had a run play to Thurman Thomas who picked up 10 yards but still not in Buffalo Bills kicker Scott Norwood's range.

Analysis: Had the official not called for a review of McKeller's obvious catch, the Bills would have easily gotten off a pass play against the Giants unprepared pass defense. The Bills receivers were lined up to the outside, ready to go out of bounds stopping the clock when (if) the ball was caught. Then the Bills either could have had Thurman Thomas run the ball or tried for pass again. Then the ball would have been well within the FG range for kicker Scott Norwood. Then spike the ball to bring on Norwood.

The Scott Norwood field goal is good.

Final score:

Buffalo Bills - 22

New York Giants - 20

Buffalo Bills - Super Bowl XXV Champions!

whatever. move on

The Bills weren't robbed. They were their own worst enemy in many ways. Thurman ran all other the Giants in the fist half and they stopped feeding him the rock in the second. Defensively, that team was limited and I always felt like they should've bolstered the D-Line during that run. Jeff Wright played beyond his potential but he still was a liability. Additionally, Walt Corey was a mediocre coordinator, at best. How do you have an innovator like Marchibroda on one side and a dud like Corey to coach the defense. Lastly, I love Marv, but a truly great coach has control of his team and gets them to focus on the biggest game of their lives, not the Tampa nightlife.A stronger coach and we win that game going away.

Agree with your last two sentences particularly.

Did anyone note the irony of the fact that Manning's backwards lateral was less of a backwards lateral than the Music City Miracle? Wade was the victim on both of these plays!

Good observation.