25 Years Ago Today The Bills Were Robbed Of SB XXV

The Buffalo Bills "lost" Super Bowl XXV because the game officials gave the Giants a "little breather" to keep Bills kicker Scott Norwood out of his FG range.

you can't say that with any certainty. What if we rush to the line for a quick throw and the Giants luck into an INT or we fumble the snap. There are a million different things that could happen. It's not like we lost time and the clock kept running during the review so we couldn't get more plays off.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

robbed ??

i say they "gifted" the victory to the giants.

#1 - the Bills were badly outcoached on both sides of the ball. schemes and clock management.

#2 - the defense couldn't tackle or get off the field.

#3 - players were undisciplined off the field with their party mentality

The play I'll never forget and the one that won the game for the NY Giants is when Bruce Smith was sacking Jeff Hostetler AND HAD HIM BY THE WRIST (you know the wrist with the ball in his hand) in the end zone and somehow that backup QB managed to keep from fumbling the ball to only allow a safety.

Just think, the NY Giants were beaten by the Buffalo Bills with Phill Simms at QB during the regular season and for this game, backup QB Jeff Hostetler was starting.

My memories of that game were wondering why Kelly was throwing so much in the first half vs not really running unstoppable Thurman. The Bills didn't really watch the Giants defense shut down Joe Montana and the 49ers in the NFC championship game and held Joe to only 18 of 26 for 190 and one TD in that game. If they had the Bills might have run the ball more and been more effective on offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCC-crdXXE

I don't blame Scott Norwood for the loss because he stunk kicking on grass and wasn't very good for long FG's and 47 yards was a long FG for him. I blame the Bills offense for going against what they did best all year and that was running Thurman to establish the run game and then attack through the air. Thurman Thomas only 15 attempts rushing all game?

Against the Raiders in the AFC Championship game, TT 25 rushes for 138 and one TD

Against the Dolphins in the playoffs TT 32 rushes for 117, 2 TD's

A couple of things:

1. I know there was only 8 seconds left, but I believe it was 2nd or 3rd down after the spike - they should have gone for 1 more play - an out route to get another 5-10 yards.
  2. Looking at that kick again - in my mind it missed by a foot - seeing it again it almost looks like a shank! Amazing how memories change to protect one's psyche!

That's true, we were robbed, but we left the door unlocked by not getting closer before kicking.

Sound like a bunch of whiny Seahawks fans. Just yesterday there was an article in the Seattle Times about a dog in a local PD who got a kevlar vest courtesy of the Roethlisberger Foundation. Newspaper just HAD to mention the SB loss in 2006 "with a little help from the referees".

Much as that loss broke my heart and is STILL hard to take, it boils down to: play better.

Edited by blzrul

I don't want to hear about the refs. :48 seconds left and they only got off two plays. Horrible, horrible job.

Dierdorf was spot on; the Bills needed to get to at least the 25 and they failed to do.

Right!

But the game official prevented the Buffalo Bills from getting off a pass play. The Buffalo Bills pass offense was set up and almost got off the play but the game official decided to review an OBVIOUS CATCH.

I challenge anyone here to look at McKeller's catch and find any reason to have the OBVIOUS CATCH reviewed. And why did the official take so long to call for the review?

It wasn't an accident. The call to review an OBVIOUS CATCH and the timing of the call to have it reviewed completely screwed the Buffalo Bills out of winning Super Bowl XXV.

Right!

But the game official prevented the Buffalo Bills from getting off a pass play. The Buffalo Bills pass offense was set up and almost got off the play but the game official decided to review an OBVIOUS CATCH.

I challenge anyone here to look at McKeller's catch and find any reason to have the OBVIOUS CATCH reviewed. And why did the official take so long to call for the review?

It wasn't an accident. The call to review an OBVIOUS CATCH and the timing of the call to have it reviewed completely screwed the Buffalo Bills out of winning Super Bowl XXV.

Can you explain why you appear to be the only person on the planet living with this belief? In 25 years I've never even heard this complaint until you posted it. So if this is remotely possible where is the outrage from other fans, Bills players and coaching staff? Please provide this proof to back your claim

Can you explain why you appear to be the only person on the planet living with this belief? In 25 years I've never even heard this complaint until you posted it. So if this is remotely possible where is the outrage from other fans, Bills players and coaching staff? Please provide this proof to back your claim

I'm not gonna go as far as PearlHowardMan, and say that the McKellar review is why the Bills lost the game....but I will agree with him that is was very fishy to review that catch.

As I stated earlier though, the Bills' time management on that last drive was pretty bad, and if they were smarter about it, they should have been able to get 7-10 yards closer for Scotty.

I'm not gonna go as far as PearlHowardMan, and say that the McKellar review is why the Bills lost the game....but I will agree with him that is was very fishy to review that catch.

As I stated earlier though, the Bills' time management on that last drive was pretty bad, and if they were smarter about it, they should have been able to get 7-10 yards closer for Scotty.

It's not fishy, it's human nature when you insert idiotic replay rules that include telling the refs "make sure you review anything close".

I'm not gonna go as far as PearlHowardMan, and say that the McKellar review is why the Bills lost the game....but I will agree with him that is was very fishy to review that catch..

Not only was the call to review McKeller's OBVIOUS CATCH fishy but so was the timing of the call. The game official decided to review the call after something like 8 seconds ticked off the clock as well as the Buffalo Bills pass offense was lined up against the Giants pass defense who were in dissaray.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I noticed this several years ago when watching a review of the game.

Not only was the call to review McKeller's OBVIOUS CATCH fishy but so was the timing of the call. The game official decided to review the call after something like 8 seconds ticked off the clock as well as the Buffalo Bills pass offense was lined up against the Giants pass defense who were in dissaray.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I noticed this several years ago when watching a review of the game.

I find it funny that you haven't yet answered my questions I've presented several times.

I find it funny that you haven't yet answered my questions I've presented several times.

Watch the video for yourself and tell me what you think about the "little breather" that the Giants received and you tell me there's nothing suspicious about what happened.

Watch the video for yourself and tell me what you think about the "little breather" that the Giants received and you tell me there's nothing suspicious about what happened.

You're still refusing to address the question, so since you are, I'm done. it's clear you're the only person alive with this idea that the Bills were screwed by the officials. Best of luck with this.