Quirk in NFL Schedule according to professor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They went 3-1 against the AFCS but just 1-3 against the NFCE, mostly because they got the Giants and Skins when they were hot, while the difference in the Eagles (and Chefs) game was a muffed punt.

When they were hot? Or we played poorly? The New York Football Giants weren't hot when they beat us. Eli was okay and we were bad. We lost to all playoff teams minus Texas and lost games we could of and should have won.

THE BILLS' HAD THE 4TH HARDEST STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE IN THE AFC THIS SEASON. THEIR STRENGTH OF VICTORY WAS 5TH IN THE AFC THIS SEASON. THESE ARE FACTS.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

Please stop pretending we had this magically easy schedule and were really a 4-12 team masquerading as an 8-8 team. They were very 8-8. And again, yes, they would've been 9-7 if Taylor doesn't get hurt. Problem is Taylor will probably get hurt next year too.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

All 3 were playing when losing to Philly, another NFCE dog.

We lost by 3 on a terrible pick play. Sure we won't dwell on the non-call, but we didn't exactly get destroyed.

How did New England do against the Giants? Eagles? Dolphins?

A win over the dolphins may have given them the edge with homefield advantage today, and they could have been Super Bowl bound.

THE BILLS' HAD THE 4TH HARDEST STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE IN THE AFC THIS SEASON. THEIR STRENGTH OF VICTORY WAS 5TH IN THE AFC THIS SEASON. THESE ARE FACTS.

Please stop pretending we had this magically easy schedule and were really a 4-12 team masquerading as an 8-8 team. They were very 8-8. And again, yes, they would've been 9-7 if Taylor doesn't get hurt. Problem is Taylor will probably get hurt next year too.

I would say a couple of things - firstly that the reason we are so high on strength of schedule is because of our division where we played 4 games against teams with double digit wins. The division isn't going anywhere... we will play the Patriots and the Jets twice next year too. Indeed assessing strength of schedule for next year based on this season's records the 4 hardest sos in the AFC are:

Jets

Patriots

Bills

Dolphins

The fact is that our 10 out of division opponents this year finished 74-86 and we went 4-6 against them. The AFC East has a hard slate next year against the NFC West and AFC North. Those divisions played each other this year which resulted in some mixed records as they beat up on each other but make no mistake - neither of those two divisions will be close to the weakest in football next year.

I really can't see what is controversial about the opinion that those performances that were only good enough for 8-8 against some of the worst teams in football will not be good enough for 8-8 against two of the stronger divisions.

Can the Bills get better? Yes of course and if we do we could easily win 9 or 10 games on that schedule I have never disputed that. I have just said that I think they will need better performances than this year even to win 8. IF the Bills are good they will be fine. I really hope we are good.

I would say a couple of things - firstly that the reason we are so high on strength of schedule is because of our division where we played 4 games against teams with double digit wins. The division isn't going anywhere... we will play the Patriots and the Jets twice next year too. Indeed assessing strength of schedule for next year based on this season's records the 4 hardest sos in the AFC are:

Jets

Patriots

Bills

Dolphins

The fact is that our 10 out of division opponents this year finished 74-86 and we went 4-6 against them. The AFC East has a hard slate next year against the NFC West and AFC North. Those divisions played each other this year which resulted in some mixed records as they beat up on each other but make no mistake - neither of those two divisions will be close to the weakest in football next year.

I really can't see what is controversial about the opinion that those performances that were only good enough for 8-8 against some of the worst teams in football will not be good enough for 8-8 against two of the stronger divisions.

Can the Bills get better? Yes of course and if we do we could easily win 9 or 10 games on that schedule I have never disputed that. I have just said that I think they will need better performances than this year even to win 8. IF the Bills are good they will be fine. I really hope we are good.

I agree with most of what you wrote. But what is the 2015 record of our opponents next year? Only 4 out of the 10 were even .500 this year (Pit, Cin, Sea and AZ). This year, 5 out of 10 were! (Hou, Ind, KC, Cin and Was). I just think the whole "this year our schedule was a cakewalk and next year it's murderer's row" thing is not only exaggerated, but I have just proven it as false.

It's not pretending, it's a FACT. Our schedule was ridiculously easy.

Our "SOS" was pretty much blown out of proportion by only 4 teams (yes, 4 teams): the Pats, the Chiefs, the Bengals and the Jets. Those 4 teams alone went a combined 45 - 19. And we obviously played the Pats and Jets twice, so those 4 teams constituted 6 games.

The combined record of the remaining teams we faced:

Indy: 8-8

Fins (2x): 6-10

Giants: 6-10

Titans: 3-13

Jags: 5-11

Texans: 9-7

Eagles: 7-9

Skins: 9-7

Boys: 4-12

That's a combined record of: 57 - 87

OTHER THAN THE 4 TEAMS MENTIONED, ONLY 2 TEAMS WE FACED ALL SEASON HAD A WINNING RECORD.

Fact is, we may go years before we face such an easy schedule again.

It's not pretending, it's a FACT. Our schedule was ridiculously easy.

Our "SOS" was pretty much blown out of proportion by only 4 teams (yes, 4 teams): the Pats, the Chiefs, the Bengals and the Jets. Those 4 teams alone went a combined 45 - 19. And we obviously played the Pats and Jets twice, so those 4 teams constituted 6 games.

The combined record of the remaining teams we faced:

Indy: 8-8

Fins (2x): 6-10

Giants: 6-10

Titans: 3-13

Jags: 5-11

Texans: 9-7

Eagles: 7-9

Skins: 9-7

Boys: 4-12

That's a combined record of: 57 - 87

OTHER THAN THE 4 TEAMS MENTIONED, ONLY 2 TEAMS WE FACED ALL SEASON HAD A WINNING RECORD.

Fact is, we may go years before we face such an easy schedule again.

So can I pick and choose records from some of the teams we play next year and take out the good ones too? What is our SOS next year if you take out Cin, AZ and Sea?

Look at my post above. Again, out of the 10 non-division opponents we played this year, 5 were .500 or better. Next year (based on their records this year), 4 were .500 or better. I am right. You are wrong.

I can do this all day. So this year, we played 7 games against teams that ended up 7-9 or worse. Next year we have 8 games against teams that were 7-9 this year or worse (Mia 2x, Cle, Bal, Jax, Oak, LA and SF). But go on.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I was thinking how brutal next year's schedule was going to be also so I looked at next year's schedule team's record this year. This year our opponents had a record of 130 - 126. Next year's opponents record is 133 - 123. The 3 game difference is the Cards, Seahawks and Steelers. So from a pure numbers stand point it doesn't look as bad as I first thought.

I agree with most of what you wrote. But what is the 2015 record of our opponents next year? Only 4 out of the 10 were even .500 this year (Pit, Cin, Sea and AZ). This year, 5 out of 10 were! (Hou, Ind, KC, Cin and Was). I just think the whole "this year our schedule was a cakewalk and next year it's murderer's row" thing is not only exaggerated, but I have just proven it as false.

It is better than this year's by 3 games.... 77-83 but also the NFC West and AFC North played each other which means one team always had to lose and therefore it isn't the best barometer for next year. It was impossible for those two divisions to both be truly outstanding this year because they played each other so someone had to drop some games somewhere.

I am also very bullish on a Baltimore bounce back which I know you are not. They lost every game bar Seattle by one score or less and played without their QB, running back, leader on defense and best receiver plus a host of other starters. I personally believe they have the second best Head Coach in the league and I think they will be a good team next year.

I have not said this year was a cakewalk - but there are plenty of seasons when I have thought "if only we had played [insert weak division] this year" and this season we were lucky enough to get two terrible divisions with no 10 win teams and with 5 of 8 below .500 and we ended up 8-8. We were really not good. We just have to get better or else next year is gonna be tough.

That super hot giants team had 90 rush yards, and outside the infamous missed tackle like 150 passing. They were 1-2 going in and eeked out a win vs San Fran the following week.

We just didn't handle our business

If I remember correctly.. we were competitive, but burned ourselves with field goals and extra points in that game.

If I remember correctly.. we were competitive, but burned ourselves with field goals and extra points in that game.

You remember incorrectly.

Two TDs got called back.

One on a completely BS chop block that was not a chop block in any way. Inconginto looked at a guy that was engaged went to block him then pulled up. They refs called a chop block anyway even though Incongnito didn't actually make the block.

You remember incorrectly.

Two TDs got called back.

One on a completely BS chop block that was not a chop block in any way. Inconginto looked at a guy that was engaged went to block him then pulled up. They refs called a chop block anyway even though Incongnito didn't actually make the block.

Yeah, RI pushed him in the waist area.

Yeah, RI pushed him in the waist area.

I found this angle:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/4/9450735/buffalo-bills-richie-incognito-nfl-dirty

And I take that back.

It is a definite chop block.

Live broadcast is from the side and it looks like Incognito touches him then pulls back and falls down but that angle looks like a text book chop block.

I stand corrected.

We were handed a tremendous gift last year, and we squandered it. We drew the 2 worst divisions in football and we couldn't even distinguish ourselves from those 8 craptastic teams. The AFC was top-heavy with very few "true" contenders and a huge bunch of pretenders. We weren't even at the level of the pretenders -- despite playing that cupcake schedule. If you think the NFC West and the AFC North are going to be weaker than the AFC South and NFC East next year, you need to start actually watching other games. Seriously, stop burying your heads in stats to make excuses and watch the games. The physicality of play in those 2 divisions is off the charts compared to what we saw this year.