Quirk in NFL Schedule according to professor

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They went 3-1 against the AFCS but just 1-3 against the NFCE, mostly because they got the Giants and Skins when they were hot, while the difference in the Eagles (and Chefs) game was a muffed punt.

That super hot giants team had 90 rush yards, and outside the infamous missed tackle like 150 passing. They were 1-2 going in and eeked out a win vs San Fran the following week.

We just didn't handle our business

That super hot giants team had 90 rush yards, and outside the infamous missed tackle like 150 passing. They were 1-2 going in and eeked out a win vs San Fran the following week.

This an accurate description of events. We got abused by the worst division.

The schedule next year is brutal. 8-8 would be a good record.

People need to stop saying this.

1. WE COULD BE VERY GOOD OURSELVES.

2. You never know how good the teams we face our going to be. Every year, my brother and I laugh because we think the schedule is going to be "easy" or "hard" and more often than not, it turns out to be the opposite. This year, our two additional games turned out to be very tough- Cincinnati and KC. Next year, it's Oakland and Jacksonville.

3. We play the Rams, the 49ers, the Browns, the Jaguars, the Raiders and the Dolphins and Jets twice. Who exactly are you scared of? Are you certain Baltimore has a bounce back year? Are you certain Cincinnati is as good as they were this year? I could totally see them taking a step backwards after that playoff implosion. Yes, Seattle, Arizona and Pittsburgh will be tough. But again if Rex gets the defense's act together, we could be pretty damn tough ourselves.

4. Bottom line, we play:

-the same division we always play

-the NFC West (two good teams, two whatever teams)

-the AFC North (complete question mark outside of Pittsburgh and there's always like a 25% chance Roethlisberger will be hurt)

-Oakland and Jacksonville

The Bills need to worry about themselves. If they get their own s**t together, they'll be just fine.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The schedule next year is brutal. 8-8 would be a good record

Never understood how we can make blanket statements-

2014 to 2015

Jets 4-12 -- 10-6, Ravens 10-6 -- 5-11, Colts 11-5 -- 8-8, Chargers 9-7 -- 4-12, Cowboys 12-4 -- 4-12, Eagles 10-6 -- 7-9, Redskins 4-12 -- 9-7, Lions 11-5 -- 7-9, Vikings 7-9 -- 11-5, Carolina 7-8-1 -- 15-1

thats a third of the league - basically you know pittsburgh, new england, seattle, cincy will have good teams

The schedule next year is brutal. 8-8 would be a good record.

The schedule is nowhere near as brutal as people here are making it out to be. We tend to look tend to look at the next year's schedule with the best possible versions of our opponents. Hence, no good team is going to tank, the Raiders, Jags, and Rams are "definitively on the upswing," yet the Ravens were somehow an aberration. You never know what your schedule is going to entail until it happens, until you know which teams catch the injury bug. Even now, I don't quite get the horror...yes, we play the Cardinals and Seahawks, but we also play the Browns and 49ers, who look like absolute train wrecks at this point in time. Steelers and Bengals were great this year, but the Ravens were terrible, and the Rams were falling apart by year's end (and who knows how they react to the hubbub of L.A.). The Raiders and Jags have a lot of hope, but it's the same sort of hope that an outsider might see in the Bills -- a lot of young talent, which doesn't always come together.

It may turn out to be a nightmare schedule -- or it could be a cake schedule. We shouldn't pretend to know.

Well obviously the Bills didn't handle their business. But the Giants tailed off in the 2nd half of the season. Switch when the BIlls play the Giants and Redskins and they likely are 2-0.

Never understood how we can make blanket statements-

2014 to 2015

Jets 4-12 -- 10-6, Ravens 10-6 -- 5-11, Colts 11-5 -- 8-8, Chargers 9-7 -- 4-12, Cowboys 12-4 -- 4-12, Eagles 10-6 -- 7-9, Redskins 4-12 -- 9-7, Lions 11-5 -- 7-9, Vikings 7-9 -- 11-5, Carolina 7-8-1 -- 15-1

thats a third of the league - basically you know pittsburgh, new england, seattle, cincy will have good teams

Exactly. It's one of the dumber narratives being thrown around here as of late. A few weeks ago, a prominent poster said "this year's team would have went 4-12 with that schedule." So... they won four division games alone, meaning he basically thought they would've gone 0-10 against next year's "insanely brutal" schedule. And then of course, people start touting Oakland and Jacksonville as these upstart teams but as we sit here, they're still a step or two behind the Bills.

Exactly. It's one of the dumber narratives being thrown around here as of late. A few weeks ago, a prominent poster said "this year's team would have went 4-12 with that schedule." So... they won four division games alone, meaning he basically thought they would've gone 0-10 against next year's "insanely brutal" schedule. And then of course, people start touting Oakland and Jacksonville as these upstart teams but as we sit here, they're still a step or two behind the Bills.

No, no. As I explained to you then - that is NOT what I said.

Never saw your response, what did you say then?

That I thought this year's level of performance was, in the main, terrible and that level of performance next year on a schedule that - let's face it whatever you think about teams going forwards or backwards - would do well to be easier than one where we played the weakest two divisions in this year's NFL would result in fewer wins. I don't think it is by any means certain that we sweep the Jets and the Dolphins again next year and I think given that the rest of the schedule is tougher (the NFC North and NFC West will not be the two weakest divisions in football next year) it could get worse.

Equally I am hopeful of this team getting better. There are reasons to think it might. But it will have to. Because putting this year's level of performance on that schedule would result in worse than 8-8 I am utterly convinced of it.