Janine Talley column in TBN: Sammy, Press as Motivation

(apologies if this has already been linked, I searched and didn't find it)

Janine Talley wrote a piece as a guest columnist that is a "must read".

The link to the current Bills is her viewpoint on Sammy Watkins words after the Washington game (she thinks he "gets it").

The piece contains a hysterically funny description of Darryl Talley's reaction to reading a Sully piece grading the Bills players (this would have been about 1986 or so, on a team that was 2-14, 4-12, or 7-8): I watched him read. When I saw him sit up on the edge of the sofa and his eyes go bugged, I knew he’d come to the words “finally reaching mediocrity.” The apartment felt like a doll’s house. The room seemed to shrink around me as Darryl’s angry voice ricocheted off of the walls. [Janine Talley describes it as having a positive outcome - interesting read about the motivational effect bad press can have]

But LOL at this. Darryl stayed ticked at Jerry for several years, even contriving with Kent Hull to relentlessly set picks on Jerry at a Bills vs. The Buffalo News charity basketball game. Whenever Darryl or Kent were on offense during that game, they would force Jerry to be bounced off of Darryl’s chest or take an elbow or twelve from Kent.

I wonder if these games still take place, and if so, would Sully still play in them? It seems like a great idea to put the players with the press that cover them, an equalizer. If you tick a guy off too far with biased coverage, you get to take a lot of elbows! But I'd imagine injury fears might nix it these days.

Anyway, check it out.

Read it and commented. I never would have seen it without your link!

Thanks

and yes She is quite in tune with what makes a football team great via the individuals who are the make up.

I often watch the sidelines to see who is engaged and who is not. Via Tv though.

Go Bills !

Life is good for Janine after receiving a $250K handout :)

(apologies if this has already been linked, I searched and didn't find it)

Janine Talley wrote a piece as a guest columnist that is a "must read".

The link to the current Bills is her viewpoint on Sammy Watkins words after the Washington game (she thinks he "gets it").

The piece contains a hysterically funny description of Darryl Talley's reaction to reading a Sully piece grading the Bills players (this would have been about 1986 or so, on a team that was 2-14, 4-12, or 7-8): I watched him read. When I saw him sit up on the edge of the sofa and his eyes go bugged, I knew he’d come to the words “finally reaching mediocrity.” The apartment felt like a doll’s house. The room seemed to shrink around me as Darryl’s angry voice ricocheted off of the walls. [Janine Talley describes it as having a positive outcome - interesting read about the motivational effect bad press can have]

But LOL at this. Darryl stayed ticked at Jerry for several years, even contriving with Kent Hull to relentlessly set picks on Jerry at a Bills vs. The Buffalo News charity basketball game. Whenever Darryl or Kent were on offense during that game, they would force Jerry to be bounced off of Darryl’s chest or take an elbow or twelve from Kent.

I wonder if these games still take place, and if so, would Sully still play in them? It seems like a great idea to put the players with the press that cover them, an equalizer. If you tick a guy off too far with biased coverage, you get to take a lot of elbows! But I'd imagine injury fears might nix it these days.

Anyway, check it out.

Excellent point. Clearly you've had an unfair life and now you're bitter and resentful of others. Charity sucks, close them all because you don't like it.

Edited by zonabb

I'd call you a douche, but I'm afraid Sphere O Beer will thwack me with a rolled up newspaper if I do. It was $153,454, not $250,000. I bet you'd like to live your life so if you were in ill health and broke after a failed business and bad financial judgement, an outpouring of love and admiration from your legion of fans would close a "GoFundMe" down 50% above goal in less than a month.

Meanwhile, about that article, you got something?

Regarding those BB games...I would guess that Wawrow sits behind the arc and rarely, if ever goes under the boards.

LOL hadn't thought of it that way, but I bet you're right. If they're still having those games, I'd watch out for Mario's elbows were I Ty Dunne. "Anonymize THIS, Ty!"

Excellent point. Clearly you've had an unfair life and now you're bitter and resentful of others. Charity sucks, close them all because you don't like it.

"And other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play - er, article?"

She provides significant insight into what it takes to be a true team. I remember reading how irate Darryl was riding back from London with two members of the current Bills who didn't even acknowledge one another on the flight. I believe there has to be a solid foundation of caring for one another off the field to perform at a high level on the field. There has to be trust, discipline...it will be interesting to see if the kernel of trust that started to emerge the last two weeks -- can grow..

An aside, love the part where Talley and Hull ganged up on Jerry in charity basketball....

Edited by JoeF

She provides significant insight into what it takes to be a true team. I remember reading how irate Darryl was riding back from London with two members of the current Bills who didn't even acknowledge one another on the flight. I believe there has to be a solid foundation of caring for one another off the field to perform at a high level on the field. There has to be trust, discipline...it will be interesting to see if the kernel of trust that started to emerge the last two weeks -- can grow..

An aside, love the part where Talley and Hull ganged up on Jerry in charity basketball....

I didn't hear this story about 2 players not acknowledging each other and Talley irate, JoeF, where did you get it?

I didn't hear this story about 2 players not acknowledging each other and Talley irate, JoeF, where did you get it?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/bills-great-talley-says-current-team-lacks-sense-of-togetherness/

One scene was particularly alarming to Talley on his trip to London to see the Bills play the Jacksonville Jaguars.

No, it wasn’t the ghastly 27-3 deficit Buffalo fell into, the domino fall of turnovers. It was his flight back to the states. There were two players on his commercial flight and the two players, Talley said, didn’t acknowledge each other the entire time. Not a word. One sat in first class, one sat in coach.

I think it was reported in the week that Talley led the charge. Very illuminating piece at the time. I'm guessing next year we'll find out who that player was.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/14/bills-great-talley-says-current-team-lacks-sense-of-togetherness/

One scene was particularly alarming to Talley on his trip to London to see the Bills play the Jacksonville Jaguars.

No, it wasn’t the ghastly 27-3 deficit Buffalo fell into, the domino fall of turnovers. It was his flight back to the states. There were two players on his commercial flight and the two players, Talley said, didn’t acknowledge each other the entire time. Not a word. One sat in first class, one sat in coach.

Thanks, Joe! I missed that - good read. Interesting.

I wonder what the story was behind 1 guy coach and 1 guy 1st class. Anyone know how teams normally travel to that London game? I woulda thought the team would charter a plane. I can't imagine what it would be like for a football player having to be shoved into a coach seat for 9 hrs just after playing football, in pain and bruised up.

• 1 month later...

Had a great brunch yesterday with Darryl and Janine Talley and the wife of former Bills safety Leonard Smith at the Left Bank.

We talked about a lot of things and shared some good laughs. Darryl looks great and the Talleys are doing absolutely wonderful. Thought you all might enjoy the update.

post-2416-0-84499400-1456763039_thumb.jpg

Had a great brunch yesterday with Darryl and Janine Talley and the wife of former Bills safety Leonard Smith at the Left Bank.

We talked about a lot of things and shared some good laughs. Darryl looks great and the Talleys are doing absolutely wonderful. Thought you all might enjoy the update.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for the update, Chevy! I hope getting coordinated and specialized medical treatment continues to make a difference in their lives!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good to hear Chevy!

Thanks for the update, Chevy! I hope getting coordinated and specialized medical treatment continues to make a difference in their lives!

It is. Also they were able to buy an affordable house and get out from the upside/down rent scenario they were trapped in. Darryl is in a far better place than he was a year and a half ago and it is completely due to the Bills and Mountaineer fan bases.

Who knows what the future holds, but, right now, this story has a very happy ending.

Thank you all that circled the wagons for Darryl, you're all the cat's pajamas.

image.jpg

great news!

It is. Also they were able to buy an affordable house and get out from the upside/down rent scenario they were trapped in. Darryl is in a far better place than he was a year and a half ago and it is completely due to the Bills and Mountaineer fan bases.

Who knows what the future holds, but, right now, this story has a very happy ending.

Thank you all that circled the wagons for Darryl, you're all the cat's pajamas.

:thumbsup:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I always always enjoy good news

Thanks again for getting this rolling to begin with. We did a fine thing I believe.

I am proud to have participated!

Wasn't sure I should start a new thread for this, but here's some more love for Sammy.

9. Two different Buffalo Bills coaches had insane raves about Sammy Watkins. When not in front of the press with a camera, coaches will be fairly candid. (I've heard stars trashed, for example). They LOVE Sammy Watkins. One coach said to me, "Top-five wide receiver next year. Just watch."

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/14868625/thoughts-sammy-watkins-dorial-green-beckham-couple-sleepers-fantasy-football

Let's hope the offense with Sammy can hit the ground running this year.

Why are you doing this? Why is it, when caught being an idiot, so many people double-down on their idiocy?

Put down the shovel, climb out of the hole, and walk away.

Edited by Beerball

Those same folks felt that the Talley's deserved such fortune. Who do you think donated?

Did you donate?

Therein lies the irony, which certainly isn't lost on me.

After all, fandom doesn't always follow logic: here we are, spending time on a message board whose primary topic of conversation pertains to an organization that ranks among the most inept in all of professional sports :)

Do us all a favor and just ignore this topic. Seriously.

Amazing. My post got deleted. Nothing in my post violated the terms of service. Guess some moderators can't handle the truth :)

Therein lies the irony, which certainly isn't lost on me.

After all, fandom doesn't always follow logic: here we are, spending time on a message board whose primary topic of conversation pertains to an organization that ranks among the most inept in all of professional sports :)

I don't understand your gripe. Folks in WNY enjoyed watching a player who played for their favorite team and chose to donate money to give him a hand. Where is the irony?

Also, nice Bills jab. They aren't good. Folks are fans of teams that play in the same geographical location where they either lived or grew up. How is that illogical?

Edited by FireChan

I don't understand your gripe. Folks in WNY enjoyed watching a player who played for their favorite team and chose to donate money to give him a hand. Where is the irony?

Also, nice Bills jab. They aren't good. Groundbreaking!

Here's the deal:

I love Talley - true warrior, exemplified everything that was great about those Bills teams.

I also love the fans' gesture - generosity at its finest.

My gripe is this: it's hard to feel sympathy for the Talleys when they continued to live beyond their means despite a financial situation that was so dire, they were evicted from their home. Janine then receives help from Daryl's former teammates (another great gesture) and uses the money to rent a home in a gated community overlooking a golf course. With Daryl in such dire need for medical help, one would think there are better uses for those funds.

Edited by Dawgg

Wow. A couple of things I didn't expect in this thread: a moron denigrating an outreach to an ex-Bill in need, and me agreeing with Firechan.

Denigrating the outreach? Not so much.

Questioning the Talleys' unnecessary extravagance leading up to the outreach? Absolutely.

You're such a moron :nana:

Here's the deal:

I love Talley - true warrior, exemplified everything that was great about those Bills teams.

I also love the fans' gesture - generosity at its finest.

My gripe is this: it's hard to feel sympathy for the Talleys when they continued to live beyond their means despite a financial situation that was so dire, they were evicted from their home. Janine then receives help from Daryl's former teammates (another great gesture) and uses the money to rent a home in a gated community overlooking a golf course. With Daryl in such dire need for medical help, one would think there are better uses for those funds.

Do you know that they are now living beyond their means? It sounds to me like they are living in a smaller house. And IIRC, Talley was given a position by the Bills, so I assume there's some greater financial stability for their family. Further more, do you understand the impact such a gesture has on a medical outcome? AFAIK, we don't know how much treatment he is receiving currently as compared to back then, and the change in cost.

I find your backtracking from "If only some Blue Collar WNYers received such good fortune," to "I don't think the Talley's are living within their means" to be nothing short of laughable. Your original post was a healthy mix of crude, venom and an angle that the Talley's don't deserve help GIVEN FREELY BY OTHER FANS WHO THINK THEY DO. If you really "loved" Talley, you failed to show it in any meaningful way by directing such a comment to his wife.

Your post was deleted because Beerball didn't want this thread, which by most posts is filled with honest goodness for the Talley's and their improving situation, to go down a rabbit hole of negativity. Frankly, behavior like your original post has a negative impact on the community on this message board, and per the TOS can be deleted for that reason, and others.

Wow. A couple of things I didn't expect in this thread: a moron denigrating an outreach to an ex-Bill in need, and me agreeing with Firechan.

I didn't expect to find out that you saying you ignored me was all for show. :lol:

Edited by FireChan

Do you know that they are now living beyond their means? It sounds to me like they are living in a smaller house. And IIRC, Talley was given a position by the Bills, so I assume there's some greater financial stability for their family. Further more, do you understand the impact such a gesture has on a medical outcome? AFAIK, we don't know how much treatment he is receiving currently as compared to back then, and the change in cost.

I find your backtracking from "If only some Blue Collar WNYers received such good fortune," to "I don't think the Talley's are living within their means" to be nothing short of laughable. Your original post was a healthy mix of crude, venom and an angle that the Talley's don't deserve help GIVEN FREELY BY OTHER FANS WHO THINK THEY DO. If you really "loved" Talley, you failed to show it in any meaningful way by directing such a comment to his wife.

Your post was deleted because Beerball didn't want this thread, which by most posts is filled with honest goodness for the Talley's and their improving situation, to go down a rabbit hole of negativity. Frankly, behavior like your original post has a negative impact on the community on this message board, and per the TOS can be deleted for that reason, and others.

I didn't expect to find out that you saying you ignored me was all for show. :lol:

Not backtracking at all. I have no knowledge as to how they're living today. I can only go by the article that Graham wrote as a primary source. And in that article, it clearly states that the Talley's were (a) evicted from their home, (b) in dire financial straits, and © accepting money from friends and family to rent a posh home in a gated community overlooking a golf course.

My love for Daryl as a player notwithstanding, I find it hard to sympathize given their extravagant lifestyle in the face of financial hardship. His wife in particular was not in the least bit shy about seeking financial assistance from his former teammates (which is great). But, when she then spends it to afford herself a luxurious living situation in home overlooking a golf course, I question her intentions given the bigger issues that were in play.

And thanks, by the way, for engaging with me in a discussion about this rather than resorting to name calling. :)

Edited by Dawgg

His teammates didn't give him money to rent the home. They RENTED THE HOME FOR HIM. He wasn't "living beyond his means" or squandering anyone else's money. He didn't get any money, and didn't decide what to rent.

Just...stop digging, you idiot.

His teammates didn't give him money to rent the home. They RENTED THE HOME FOR HIM. He wasn't "living beyond his means" or squandering anyone else's money. He didn't get any money, and didn't decide what to rent.

Just...stop digging, you idiot.

You're wrong. Read the article, you imbecile.