Potential Cap Cut/Fit: Paul Kruger DE/OLB

Here's the thing John. I loved the Ryan hire. But I may have been overlooking some things. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/?mobile=false

It has been a downward spiral for Ryan defenses. Also, the Jets defense improved tremendously after we left.

I'm just sick of coaches and their BS systems. Marrone had his offensive system and it sucked. I know that Mario and Dareus were all pros in 2014 and our defense was one of the best in the NFL.

We are putting a lot of faith into Rex and in the last 5 years, he doesn't really deserve it. I want to be wrong but there are some bad signs.

1) I can't stand anonymous quotes. It's so cowardly. If you can't put your name behind, you probably shouldn't be saying it.

2) Mario has been more successful in the NFL more recently than Rex.

3) if his effort was so poor, why wasn't he benched?

4) sorry for hijacking the thread. :). I liked Krueger 3 years ago but he may be towards the end. Of course, most players look bad in Cleveland so if he's super cheap, I'd kick the tires.

i don't think he had the depth to bench him after Carrington and Wynn got hurt. Even at his reduced performance he's still better than IK, and Rex still needed to win games.

I don't know how to really measure and compare success of a HC vs a player. But in terms of recency, Rex coached an all pro DLineman in Wilkerson the same year Mario was an all pro Dlineman in 2014 so I guess that's kind of close. Overall, Rex has a SB ring as a DL coach and has multiple playoff wins as a HC and Mario has never even been to the playoffs in 10 years with 2 different teams.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's the system or if it's Mario that's making the Bills drop him. He did come out earlier and said he didn't have any interest in restructuring his contract. So by virtue of that alone, either the team is moving on without him or without Glenn and Incognito. The system is fair in that all teams must spend 98.5% or more of the cap or pay it as a penalty. If the NFL went to the MLB's way of allowing teams to spend whatever they want, we would be back to the 80's where there's big money teams that just buy their championship. Not sure I want that. I do suppose that you can blame the Bills front office for giving the contract that they did. Did they jump to a conclusion that they would be able to negotiate their way out of NOT counting Mario nearly $20 million against the cap? If so, stupid on their part. I want to see Mario stay in Buffalo as well, but just not sure how that happens without him coming to the negotiating table.

I think I would rather have teams buying championships than what we have now, which is, whichever team is lucky enough to land the HOF QBs are the only teams to have have a chance.

Seriously only ONE Superbowl in the last 13 years didnt feature Brady, P. Manning, Or Rothlisbeger representing the AFC. That was Joe Flacco.

In that same 13 years, The Superbowl winning QBs are Manning, Manning, Brady , Rothlisburger Brees, Flacco, Wilson, Rodgers.

The NFL has turned the ultimate team sport into a one-man sport, like freaking tennis or something.

It's beyond annoying that somehow we have to rebuild a defense that was one of the best in the NFL.

Unfortunately, being one of the best against most of the teams in the NFL isn't good enough to reach the playoffs in the AFC East; the Bills defense has to be one of the best against the Patriots* in order to make that happen.

How did Schwartz's Wide 9 fare against Brady at QB?

Just rushing four isn't good enough against him nor, arguably, against the remaining elite QBs in the NFL; you'll get eaten alive, 5-10 yards at a time. To beat those guys you have to confuse them enough to slow their release so that your rushers have a chance to hit them.

Here's the thing John. I loved the Ryan hire. But I may have been overlooking some things. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/?mobile=false

It has been a downward spiral for Ryan defenses. Also, the Jets defense improved tremendously after we left.

Replacing the entire secondary with better players can have that effect. Especially when one of the new guys is Revis.

That said, Bowles' system doesn't require a lot of nuance. He knows how to scheme a defense and will live and die with sending max pressure.

GO BILLS!!!

Replacing the entire secondary with better players can have that effect. Especially when one of the new guys is Revis.

That said, Bowles' system doesn't require a lot of nuance. He knows how to scheme a defense and will live and die with sending max pressure.

GO BILLS!!!

Revis wasn't Recis this year but I understand your point. That said, based on the last 3 years, Bowles is a better defensive coach than Ryan.

i don't think he had the depth to bench him after Carrington and Wynn got hurt. Even at his reduced performance he's still better than IK, and Rex still needed to win games.

I don't know how to really measure and compare success of a HC vs a player. But in terms of recency, Rex coached an all pro DLineman in Wilkerson the same year Mario was an all pro Dlineman in 2014 so I guess that's kind of close. Overall, Rex has a SB ring as a DL coach and has multiple playoff wins as a HC and Mario has never even been to the playoffs in 10 years with 2 different teams.

Enjoying the conversation Yolo. The fact is that Rex has been on a downward progress as a defensive coach. I admittedly overlooked this when he was hired. Things change quickly in the NFL. Personally, I think making a defense so complicated it confuses your own players is completely dumb.

And if Rex say Mario going half speed and didn't bench him, that's a whole other issue. Does anyone think Belichick would put up with that? My major concerns with Rex before the hire was his offenses and being too much of a player's coach. This year did nothing to suggest he has gotten better at holding players accountable.

Enjoying the conversation Yolo. The fact is that Rex has been on a downward progress as a defensive coach. I admittedly overlooked this when he was hired. Things change quickly in the NFL. Personally, I think making a defense so complicated it confuses your own players is completely dumb.

And if Rex say Mario going half speed and didn't bench him, that's a whole other issue. Does anyone think Belichick would put up with that? My major concerns with Rex before the hire was his offenses and being too much of a player's coach. This year did nothing to suggest he has gotten better at holding players accountable.

i am not the world's biggest Rex Ryan fan but he had no secondary for two years and a QB turning the ball over at a disturbing rate. His roster was crap and I don't think any coach can win with crap players. I don't think they all need to be all-pros by any means but a real QB, WRs and corners are a great start and he now has those here, IMO. He deserves another year with all the injuries we had on both sides of the ball and he will get that. Even without many defensive starters there were times where the D actually performed quite well. If he doesn't succeed in the eyes of the owner, barring extenuating circumstances, we try again. Edited by YoloinOhio

Did you see our defense this year compared to last year? Right now, it seems like Mario knows how to use our personnel better than Rex.

Good post. It's just funny how the narrative changed so quickly. Mario was beloved here last year. Now he is a problem child?

It's beyond annoying that somehow we have to rebuild a defense that was one of the best in the NFL. If Schwartz stayed, Mario might be willing to take a pay cut. So frustrating.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Unfortunately, being one of the best against most of the teams in the NFL isn't good enough to reach the playoffs in the AFC East; the Bills defense has to be one of the best against the Patriots* in order to make that happen.

How did Schwartz's Wide 9 fare against Brady at QB?

Just rushing four isn't good enough against him nor, arguably, against the remaining elite QBs in the NFL; you'll get eaten alive, 5-10 yards at a time. To beat those guys you have to confuse them enough to slow their release so that your rushers have a chance to hit them.

you

are not a number.

You ARE a free Man.

It aint easy out thinking the Cheats.

Lets list who was on the team to replace him before we consider benching the self righteous aggrandizing introvert.

Honest question Biscuit.

he's not bad, but he's not as good as he was before this contract.

i'd rather have mario.

let it go.

Edited by 3rdand12

Where do you come up with this stuff?

you

are not a number.

You ARE a free Man.

It aint easy out thinking the Cheats.

Lets list who was on the team to replace him before we consider benching the self righteous aggrandizing introvert.

Honest question Biscuit.

let it go.

There was not a single thing about Mario's effort or being a malcontent last year. All reports seemed to be how much he loved being a Bill.

And if Rex and the coaches saw Mario going half speed and didn't bench him, then that's a severe lack of accountability on their part.

So either The coaches didn't think Mario's effort was that bad. Or our coaches don't hold players accountable, which is awful to think about.

Kruger and Rex Ryan actually had 'a beef' back in the day. Ryan complained about Kruger getting Michael McCrary's jersey

number.

Interesting. Sadly, Ryan was running his mouth. With it being 2016, maybe he will stop. #fingerscrossed

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-08-19/sports/0908180072_1_ravens-kruger-ryan

There was not a single thing about Mario's effort or being a malcontent last year. All reports seemed to be how much he loved being a Bill.

And if Rex and the coaches saw Mario going half speed and didn't bench him, then that's a severe lack of accountability on their part.

So either The coaches didn't think Mario's effort was that bad. Or our coaches don't hold players accountable, which is awful to think about.

No question about last year.

Why he checked out i can only guess. But do you put IK in for all the snaps?

Wynn and Carrington went down and what was left?

Maybe Mario just standing there ( lol ) was a bigger defensive threat than IK running around.

I sure would like the truth to come out at some point C Biscuit, and put this distraction to bed . really a low point for the season to me.

No question about last year.

Why he checked out i can only guess. But do you put IK in for all the snaps?

Wynn and Carrington went down and what was left?

Maybe Mario just standing there ( lol ) was a bigger defensive threat than IK running around.

I sure would like the truth to come out at some point C Biscuit, and put this distraction to bed . really a low point for the season to me.

Yep. He was like the CJ Spiller of the defense this year. Teams still felt they had to account for him, even though he never really did anything. If Wynn or Carrington had been healthy, we don't know what type of rotation we would have seen.

That is true, however in the case of Mario he seems to have a very small window where he is happy and plays well. From rumblings, it sounds like a similar thing happened in Houston prior. Even was it his 1st or 2nd year here everyone was ripping him for his level of play. So for as much money as he's making, can't really fault the Bills or Rex on this one. Will be interesting to see how many teams will give him big $$ considering his past reputation.

I understand what you're saying John. But Dareus wasn't the same. Or Preston or Bradham or Hughes.

The Rex system ruined a lot of really good players. I love talent and there isn't anyone in FA or the draft who has the talent of Mario (when engaged). I HATE giving up good d linemen.

I'm just sick of coaches and their BS systems. Marrone had his offensive system and it sucked. I know that Mario and Dareus were all pros in 2014 and our defense was one of the best in the NFL.

We are putting a lot of faith into Rex and in the last 5 years, he doesn't really deserve it. I want to be wrong but there are some bad signs.

1) I can't stand anonymous quotes. It's so cowardly. If you can't put your name behind, you probably shouldn't be saying it.

2) Mario has been more successful in the NFL more recently than Rex.

3) if his effort was so poor, why wasn't he benched?

4) sorry for hijacking the thread. :). I liked Krueger 3 years ago but he may be towards the end. Of course, most players look bad in Cleveland so if he's super cheap, I'd kick the tires.

Oh you mean after they replaced 2 scrub corners and a scrub nickel defender with 1 pro bowler, another all-pro, all time great, and another very good nickel guy in Skrine?

Yeah, not much of a difference there...and let's not mention they added Leonard Williams who some maintain was the best player in the draft last year on the Dline.

The fact that Ryan finished 11th on D with back end scrubs in the secondary is all the more impressive.

Edited by matter2003

The sad thing is you are all right. Rex screwed up a good defense, Mario quit, still can't beat the Patriots and we have to give Rex another year. We have no choice.

I agree.

Mr. Pegula would have to pay Rex approx. 21 million over 4 years if he fires him. Is this about right? If so, he did not become a billionaire by giving away this kind of cash.

Now in 2015, Rex actually made him money imo. Remember all the blow hard interviews about being a "bully"? Many fans (including me) bought into this hype. PT Brandon must have been loving this.

If Rex is a failure in 2016 (sadly, a likely scenario) it might stop making economic sense to keep him employed, whereas he might turn off and even repel a portion of the fanbase.

I hope Rex can turn the defense around but it's hard to imagine. He screwed up a very talented unit.

Edited by Bill from NYC