Potential Cap Cut/Fit: Paul Kruger DE/OLB

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing the entire secondary with better players can have that effect. Especially when one of the new guys is Revis.

That said, Bowles' system doesn't require a lot of nuance. He knows how to scheme a defense and will live and die with sending max pressure.

GO BILLS!!!

Meanwhile the past 2 years with the jets Rex was begging for secondary help

There were things going on with the jets.....its not all on Rex Ryan.

Rex leaves....and they finally fix things he was asking them to fix.

Meanwhile the past 2 years with the jets Rex was begging for secondary help

There were things going on with the jets.....its not all on Rex Ryan.

Rex leaves....and they finally fix things he was asking them to fix.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/jets

John, how much secondary help SHOULD they have given him? Wasn't that quite a bit to devote to the secondary?

Yep. He was like the CJ Spiller of the defense this year. Teams still felt they had to account for him, even though he never really did anything. If Wynn or Carrington had been healthy, we don't know what type of rotation we would have seen.

It seems something to consider, I agree Yolo.

Oh you mean after they replaced 2 scrub corners and a scrub nickel defender with 1 pro bowler, another all-pro, all time great, and another very good nickel guy in Skrine?

Yeah, not much of a difference there...and let's not mention they added Leonard Williams who some maintain was the best player in the draft last year on the Dline.

The fact that Ryan finished 11th on D with back end scrubs in the secondary is all the more impressive.

When comparing last years Jets Defense to this years Jets. You should be fair and take these acquisitions into account to be fair.

It seems something to consider, I agree Yolo.

When comparing last years Jets Defense to this years Jets. You should be fair and take these acquisitions into account to be fair.

I agree.

Kruger was severely overpaid by the Browns, but he's been a good player, for the right (much cheaper) contract I think he'd be a good addition. If not, meh... move on...

True. I look back at the FA pool, he won the Bowl and had a great year in a contract year. The Browns threw money at him, mostly because they had it. Money talks. Sadly, the Brownies record has not!

In itself, he is a vet. Played in big games in his career, has shown up. If he comes at a good price, could be a qaulity pick up.

Overall, I would hate to see Mario go. Rather have him. Fingers point to him getting cut. Would like him to get restructured and Rex sticking to a 4-3 makeup with Mario being unleashed the way he should have been all year.

I can dream, but the reality is he gets cut and the Williams jeresy in my closet collects dust with my Poz, Kiko, Evans, SJ13 and Fitz jerseys 😩

Why not? We NEED PLAYERS THAT FIT THE SYSTEM

There's this thing called the NFL Draft. Heard of it? It's pretty popular here and it's where you get to pick and sign young NFL prospects fresh out of college.

It's a pretty neat thing. Plus he's not even that good.

Tired of signing these BS free agents that never amount to anything. Time to build this team through the draft. There's a lot of talent this year on defense. We can get someone better than Kruger there and for cheaper.

We had a great draft last year. Time to build on it.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Here's the thing John. I loved the Ryan hire. But I may have been overlooking some things. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/?mobile=false

It has been a downward spiral for Ryan defenses. Also, the Jets defense improved tremendously after we left.

CB I like ya, but... There's big differences between last years Jets team and this year.

1. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3,900 yards passing, 31 tds, 15 ints. All QBs last year for the Jets - 2946 yards passing, 16 tds, 15 ints

2. Brandon Marshall - 109 recs 1,502 yards, 14 tds. Last years best Jets WR - Eric Decker - 74 recs, 962 yards, 5 tds(had 12 this year).

3. Much much better secondary. You said Revis wasn't Revis this year and that may be true, but Revis, Cromartie, Marcus Gilchrist are a much better way to start the year than Antonio Allen, Marcus Williams, or Darren Walls.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/lineups.htm

Even with a much better offense this year the difference between this years Jets defense and last years Jets defense 8.6 yards a game( 318.6 - 327.2) Way more perception than reality.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/year/2014/seasontype/2

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

There's this thing called the NFL Draft. Heard of it? It's pretty popular here and it's where you get to pick and sign young NFL prospects fresh out of college.

It's a pretty neat thing. Plus he's not even that good.

Tired of signing these BS free agents that never amount to anything. Time to build this team through the draft. There's a lot of talent this year on defense. We can get someone better than Kruger there and for cheaper.

We had a great draft last year. Time to build on it.

We only have so many picks. Also it would help to have veteran leadership from players that have actually played in his defense. That is why the bills wanted the MLB from the jets but he resigned with their team.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/jets

John, how much secondary help SHOULD they have given him? Wasn't that quite a bit to devote to the secondary?

Bill I am not debating whether or not DBs were drafted

Are those same DBs that were drafted starting this year? No they went out and secured the position with the best veteran DBs available

Edited by John from Hemet

Enjoying the conversation Yolo. The fact is that Rex has been on a downward progress as a defensive coach. I admittedly overlooked this when he was hired. Things change quickly in the NFL. Personally, I think making a defense so complicated it confuses your own players is completely dumb.

And if Rex say Mario going half speed and didn't bench him, that's a whole other issue. Does anyone think Belichick would put up with that? My major concerns with Rex before the hire was his offenses and being too much of a player's coach. This year did nothing to suggest he has gotten better at holding players accountable.

Agree on everything!