Johnny Manziel (update: waived by Browns)

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Truth be told, I think the Bills would have gone no worse than (8-8) had EJ started 16 games this season. That said, I think EJ and Taylor are neck-and-neck, as far as having the ability to lead an NFL offense to the end zone when the team needs to score. So, no ... I don't think we have one better-than-average QB on the roster.

It takes some serious balls...or drugs to think that considering what we all saw in London.

Truth be told, I think the Bills would have gone no worse than (8-8) had EJ started 16 games this season. That said, I think EJ and Taylor are neck-and-neck, as far as having the ability to lead an NFL offense to the end zone when the team needs to score. So, no ... I don't think we have one better-than-average QB on the roster.

I've been trying to make this same point . I've read quite a bit from other posters about EJ an Tyrod being equally good as long as they don't need to sling the ball over 30 times . So why not trade Tyrod to another QB needy team since he would have higher perceived value due to QB ratings and pro bowl credential .

I also agreed Manziel would be a better back up then Manuel.

Great, you agree. Now why? What's your evidence to support this?

The backup QB position requires a unique mentality - a guy who is willing to put in the work studying the film, getting into the playbook, and learning the gameplan as well as the starter does, with a strong chance there will be absolutely no payback or publicity for all that effort in the form of playing time. Exactly what is there about Johnny Football that leads you to believe he has the required "team guy" "work hard and hope it will pay off someday" "be positive in adversity and support the starter" mentality?

Because whether or not he has the mental strength and willingness to grind needed for any QB, however physically gifted, to succeed in the NFL, I see absolutely no sign that JFF has any of the traits of a successful NFL backup. So I'm greatly curious as to what exactly, in his background, other people are seeing that would suggest this.

The backup QB position requires a unique mentality - a guy who is willing to put in the work studying the film, getting into the playbook, and learning the gameplan as well as the starter does, with a strong chance there will be absolutely no payback or publicity for all that effort in the form of playing time. Exactly what is there about Johnny Football that leads you to believe he has the required "team guy" "work hard and hope it will pay off someday" "be positive in adversity and support the starter" mentality?

Because whether or not he has the mental strength and willingness to grind needed for any QB, however physically gifted, to succeed in the NFL, I see absolutely no sign that JFF has any of the traits of a successful NFL backup. So I'm greatly curious as to what exactly, in his background, other people are seeing that would suggest this.

There isn't any from either an on the field and certainly not an off the field perspective.

This is really funny yet kind of obscene. It is next to a church and across from a library in Cleveland. Ahem ...

http://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2016/01/27/heres-johnny-manziel-as-a-dick-on-a-cleveland-billboard

OMG I laughed until the dog started howling.

The comments are also funny, along the lines of our own "Roger Goodell" LOL!

There isn't any from either an on the field and certainly not an off the field perspective.

Well, I don't see any. But the chaps earnestly proposing this as a good idea must see something? What do they see?

Or is this just a kind of Pavlovian knee-jerk response, "see once-bright-prospect QB kicked to the curb. must be better than our QB. Get QB!"

It takes some serious balls...or drugs to think that considering what we all saw in London.

I guess it depends. Which part of the London game did we all see, the meltdown in the 1st half or the comeback in the 2nd half?

I don't think we would have gone 8-8 with EJ at the helm because so much of our offensive improvement was driven by TT's legs and accurate deep ball, but we'll never know any more than we'll know what our D would have done, given all the injuries, if Schwartz were here.

I do think people are kind of selective in what they remember and how they evaluate it.

I've been trying to make this same point . I've read quite a bit from other posters about EJ an Tyrod being equally good as long as they don't need to sling the ball over 30 times .

What board are you on where you're reading this? Because I've been reading this board quite a lot and I see nothing of the sort. Link please?

Bzzzzt, but thank you for playing. That is evidence that he was a gifted, successful college QB who received a lot of PR and limelight.

No where in there does it say he has the mental fortitude to grind his a** off functioning as a backup for no glory week after week.

It's also evidence that he has potential, something that our other back-up lacks. And if there's one thing I hate about this regime, it's putting all their eggs in one basket.

If TT goes down, EJ or Money Man aren't getting us to the playoffs. They'll, at best, play .500 ball. So let's grab somebody who can be somebody.

The way you guys talk about him you'd think there was video of him torturing puppies. What exactly has this guy done to achieve scum of the earth status?

And on the Gripping Hand...Seriously? No one seems to think JFF is either "scum of the earth" or "tortures puppies" that I'm reading here.

It's also evidence that he has potential, something that our other back-up lacks. And if there's one thing I hate about this regime, it's putting all their eggs in one basket.

If we go through the draft and FA without picking up a QB, then you can talk about "putting all their eggs in one basket".

You can even save the link to this post and I will publically say "I didn't believe it then, but wow! FireChan was right, the Bills really did put all their QB eggs in one Tyrod Taylor basket!".

The choice is not JFF or no one.

And on the Gripping Hand...Seriously? No one seems to think JFF is either "scum of the earth" or "tortures puppies" that I'm reading here.

If we go through the draft and FA without picking up a QB, then you can talk about "putting all their eggs in one basket".

You can even save the link to this post and I will publically say "I didn't believe it then, but wow! FireChan was right, the Bills really did put all their QB eggs in one Tyrod Taylor basket!".

The choice is not JFF or no one.

That's true. But if you buy two lottery tickets, you know you double your chances.

And no, depending on what FA we get, it could still be putting their eggs all in on Tyrod. Chad Henne ain't becoming a franchise guy.

Edited by FireChan

That was a horrible 4 minutes of football, for sure. EJ was terrible for those four minutes, I agree. But that was a team loss. We had a lead late in the 4th quarter and Robey's penalty and our stellar defense allowing JAX to score a TD was the nail in the coffin.

But yeah ... let's put it all on EJ and define him by those four minutes.

lol. drugs. gotta be the good ones. please share next time.

That was a horrible 4 minutes of football, for sure. EJ was terrible for those four minutes, I agree. But that was a team loss. We had a lead late in the 4th quarter and Robey's penalty and our stellar defense allowing JAX to score a TD was the nail in the coffin.

But yeah ... let's put it all on EJ and define him by those four minutes.

Ill define him by his prior picks, dirt balls, accuracy issues, and head scratching fumbles and throws, I Wont define him by those 4 minutes. but the 21 points those 4 minutes cost the team was the nail in EJ coffin as a Buffalo QB. And I still think if EJ Works hard he could become good somewhere else, but that FO and this Fanbase for the most part has given up on him. Too impatient and with TT as a better option who could blame them.

Edited by Marty McFly

lol. drugs. gotta be the good ones. please share next time.

Ill define him by his prior picks, dirt balls, accuracy issues, and head scratching fumbles and throws, I Wont define him by those 4 minutes. but the 21 points those 4 minutes cost the team was the nail in EJ coffin as a Buffalo QB.

That's fine. I'm already on record in this very thread saying EJ isn't good enough to be an NFL starter.