The Eagles Defense Under Buddy Ryan

That D had one of the best defensive lines ever. Were they dropping into zone coverage? Legitimate question and maybe someone here knows that D better than me. They were monsters and if memory serves, Buddy just let the D-line get after the qb. They destroyed qb left and right. Maybe a better model for our D to which Rex could more easily relate.

You know it's funny after chip Kelly was fired I joked with my friend I wish Rex was a candidate ... my friend who is an Eagles fan said ironically "you know who the last coach was that failed to get the Eagles to the playoffs 3 consecutive seasons" (edit: although I looked it up, not quite right)

Regarding the 46 d, I think they always rushed or gap controlled with at least the front 4 you just never knew about the 3 lbs and SS who were all in the box.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

That D had one of the best defensive lines ever. Were they dropping into zone coverage? Legitimate question and maybe someone here knows that D better than me. They were monsters and if memory serves, Buddy just let the D-line get after the qb. They destroyed qb left and right. Maybe a better model for our D to which Rex could more easily relate.

Not sure about with the Eagles, but I remember that when he was with the Oilers towards the end of his career, the defense was pretty complicated. In one late season game vs the 49ers Ryan told the broadcast team that he had over 100 calls prepared for that game to combat SFs potent offense.

The days of the original "46"- lining up with 8 in the box, playing bump and run on the outside and blitzing on a high percentage of plays are long gone. The rules and NFL offenses have basically evolved to attack this exact thing.

Edited by vincec

I lived in Philly when Ryan was HC and his defense was very good. The front four, to my memory, did not drop back in pass coverage. Of course Buddy was a big blow hard, and I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree. After a couple of seasons the Philly fans, and owner, got tired of his schtick.....

Not sure about with the Eagles, but I remember that when he was with the Oilers towards the end of his career, the defense was pretty complicated. In one late season game vs the 49ers Ryan told the broadcast team that he had over 100 calls prepared for that game to combat SFs potent offense.

The days of the original "46"- lining up with 8 in the box, playing bump and run on the outside and blitzing on a high percentage of plays are long gone. The rules and NFL offenses have basically evolved to attack this exact thing.

Funny papa Ryan also was one of the early guys to embrace the uber athletic QB a la Cunningham...

Rex and Rob do not come close to running the same scheme Buddy ran which was a 4-3 front but always 8 men in the box, the corners playing bump and run with one safety back. The Ryan twins both prefer 3-4 with complicated coverages so there really isn't any comparison between the two.

After a couple of seasons the Philly fans, and owner, got tired of his schtick.....

That's not entirely accurate, the majority of the fans loved Buddy and still do

Buddy got the Eagles to the playoffs but couldn't win a playoff game going 0-3 I believe and was fired

Norman Braman who was the owner of the Eagles at that time was a complete idiot.

Edited by Max997

wouldn't work now