Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

Bills looking to pay Gilmore 12-12.5/yr per Carucci

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/21/bills-taylor-make-little-progress-on-contract-extension/

Also notice how a team source says they think Darby has "better ball skills" than Gilmore. I thought the knock on him out of FSU was his lack of any ball skills. Anyway, sounds like posturing to Gilmore's agent.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/21/bills-taylor-make-little-progress-on-contract-extension/

Also notice how a team source says they think Darby has "better ball skills" than Gilmore. I thought the knock on him out of FSU was his lack of any ball skills. Anyway, sounds like posturing to Gilmore's agent.

I think it's fairly clear that Gilmore's deal--regardless of what the numbers day, will essentially be a 3-year deal.

In year 4, after the break point, they'll be able to part ways with him in favor of Darby if they have to choose.

It's just a guess, but it's also the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Not sure this guy is enough of a game changer to spend this kind of dough. I would attempt a sign & trade and see if we can get a # 1 pick in return, you need more picks from a guy if you are paying him that much money.

I'll never understand why folks think that a high number of interceptions means elite CB play.

Look at the top CBs in the league, and then look at the INT leaders; not the same.

High-level CB play is about discouraging teams from targeting you in the passing game, and squeezing down the opportunities when they do.

If the real definition of an elite CB is a guy that's outstanding in coverage, a great tackler, and has great ball skills, then there are zero elite CBs in the NFL.

I think that maybe what you really mean is that CB isn't a position that you want to pay a premium for; that's fine if it's how you feel.

I think, however, that some folks may need their barometer for great CB play adjusted

Sounds like you guys are pretty biased. He's the best on the Bills but that doesn't make him elite. I have friends in other cities that have never heard of Gilmore. Everyone has heard of Revis, Peterson, Norman, Sherman. Nobody says "watch out for Buffalo they have that elite shut down corner Stephon Gilmore." We have really good solid corners. The only elite player we have on the whole team is Dareus and even that is questionable since he's not even the best DT in the AFC East. You guys seem to live in a bubble where the Bills have all of these great players and can do no wrong and meanwhile we haven't been to the playoffs since Clinton was in office. Something doesn't add up here

Your friends know very little about football then. You won't hear Gilmore's name mentioned 90% of the time because he's doing his job and they aren't throwing at him. Then if he makes a play, he doesn't act like an idiot afterwards.

Of course on the rare occasions he gives up a catch, some not smart fans will talk about how he gets roasted all the time.

If people don't think Gilmore isn't really good, I question their football knowledge. In a league where it's a penalty to breathe on a wr, he is one of the best man to man corners in the NFL. He would be a much bigger lost than any Bills FA in a long time.

Gilmore is NOT an elite corner. He's not even above average. He's an average DB at best. I would not give him a big contract. I'd let him walk before I would over pay him. Not only is he only average in ability he is also made of glass. One hit and he's on IR. Darby was a rookie and out played Gilmore by a mile. Now Darby I would say will be an elite corner if he stays healthy and doesn't have a sophomore slump. Before I would over pay Gilmore I would take that money and sign a free agent corner. Most likely there will be one of two good ones next year.

Gilmore is NOT an elite corner. He's not even above average. He's an average DB at best. I would not give him a big contract. I'd let him walk before I would over pay him. Not only is he only average in ability he is also made of glass. One hit and he's on IR. Darby was a rookie and out played Gilmore by a mile. Now Darby I would say will be an elite corner if he stays healthy and doesn't have a sophomore slump. Before I would over pay Gilmore I would take that money and sign a free agent corner. Most likely there will be one of two good ones next year.

:lol:

Thanks for the Monday laugh

I'll never understand why folks think that a high number of interceptions means elite CB play.

Look at the top CBs in the league, and then look at the INT leaders; not the same.

High-level CB play is about discouraging teams from targeting you in the passing game, and squeezing down the opportunities when they do.

If the real definition of an elite CB is a guy that's outstanding in coverage, a great tackler, and has great ball skills, then there are zero elite CBs in the NFL.

I think that maybe what you really mean is that CB isn't a position that you want to pay a premium for; that's fine if it's how you feel.

I think, however, that some folks may need their barometer for great CB play adjusted

Spot on. :beer:

Gilmore is NOT an elite corner. He's not even above average. He's an average DB at best.

:lol::wallbash:

That was the knock but it was poor scouting or coaching; he has shown he can make moves on the ball but due to the few balls thrown at him in college he did not show he ability. He mentioned in one interview that he worked with Sanjay Lai (WR coach) a bit and it helped him a lot.

Not sure this guy is enough of a game changer to spend this kind of dough. I would attempt a sign & trade and see if we can get a # 1 pick in return, you need more picks from a guy if you are paying him that much money.

I agree about the part that he is NOT a enough of a game changer to spend that kind of dough on him. But I think you are wrong about getting a #1 pick for him. No one is going to give you a first round pick when they can go into the draft and get someone as good and most likely even better than Gilmore for a lot less money. You can forget about getting a first rounder for him. You probably would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder at the most.

I agree about the part that he is NOT a enough of a game changer to spend that kind of dough on him. But I think you are wrong about getting a #1 pick for him. No one is going to give you a first round pick when they can go into the draft and get someone as good and most likely even better than Gilmore for a lot less money. You can forget about getting a first rounder for him. You probably would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder at the most.

Now I know you're joking

Now I know you're joking

Didn't the Bills do that last year?

• 2 weeks later...