Stephon Gilmore: "I Know I’m an Elite Corner."

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Two winners the first day of free agency? QB Tyrod Taylor and CB Stephon Gilmore... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/09/two-winners-the-first-day-of-free-agency-qb-tyrod-taylor-and-cb-stephon-gilmore/

He's a good writer but these are articles you write when the Bills don't sign FAs.

Gilmore is going to get paid. If Tsylor shows franchise qb potential this year, he will get paid. Not really that complicated.

Just a thought....with all this talk of DT's, DEs, QBs, OT's

Do you think that the bills might take (gasp) a CORNER with the 19th pick?

I step back and think about it

- Darby was a really nice find.....I think he definately played better then Gilmore in 1st year comparisons between the two

- Gilmore's gonna be expensive

- McKelvin was released

Hmmmmmm

Id be more angry than BillfromNYC but that would be such a Bills move.

I'd argue the reason Darby did so well is because he had Gilmore on the other side. I'm not ready to anoint him as a #1 CB after one year of basically being a #2.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a good writer but these are articles you write when the Bills don't sign FAs.

Gilmore is going to get paid. If Tsylor shows franchise qb potential this year, he will get paid. Not really that complicated.

I'd argue the reason Darby did so well is because he had Gilmore on the other side. I'm not ready to anoint him as a #1 CB after one year of basically being a #2.

sometimes i worry for you.

Haha. There are still Gilmore haters!

I don't hate any of our players. Is Gilmore elite? No. An elite corner excels in every aspect of coverage. Gilmore's hands aren't above average, his tackling is below average. His calling card is press coverage. I consider him a "solid" corner ...not an elite corner, not even a pro bowl level corner.

If they open up the vault for this player i hope he improves the several departments he is lacking in. The tackling issue has become a health issue because his form is that bad. That in itself has to affect how we negotiate with him.

I don't hate any of our players. Is Gilmore elite? No. An elite corner excels in every aspect of coverage. Gilmore's hands aren't above average, his tackling is below average. His calling card is press coverage. I consider him a "solid" corner ...not an elite corner, not even a pro bowl level corner.

If they open up the vault for this player i hope he improves the several departments he is lacking in. The tackling issue has become a health issue because his form is that bad. That in itself has to affect how we negotiate with him.

Well I disagree and I think the majority of the league does too.

Gilmore is good.

Can you give me 5 plays he has made that stand out? I mean over his career to date?

I think Gilmore will get paid like he is a top 5 CB because the Bills have very little money tied up in the defensive backfield now.

I don't want to lose him. I think they make it a contract that the Bills can void after 3 years with minimal hit. Make the cap hit decent sized for the next three years while Darby is on his rookie deal .

Gilmore will only be 28 in three years. If he plays good, he will get another big payday.

Gilmore is good.

Can you give me 5 plays he has made that stand out? I mean over his career to date?

I think Gilmore will get paid like he is a top 5 CB because the Bills have very little money tied up in the defensive backfield now.

I don't want to lose him. I think they make it a contract that the Bills can void after 3 years with minimal hit. Make the cap hit decent sized for the next three years while Darby is on his rookie deal .

Gilmore will only be 28 in three years. If he plays good, he will get another big payday.

Give me 5 plays that Josh Norman,

Joe Haden, or Revis have made

It's a silly argument IMO; corners are paid to cover, not to make plays.

Good post. I'm convinced if Gilmore danced and celebrated more, some fans would think he is a better player.

I guarantee also it every DC in the league would love to have him.

i agree with you on this! Gilmore had a lot to do with Darby's early success. Both are good, I still think Gilmore is better at this point.

i agree with you on this! Gilmore had a lot to do with Darby's early success. Both are good, I still think Gilmore is better at this point.

Yeah, we have 2 good cbs. That's a good thing. We always have to try and compare players and say who is better. It's kinda silly.

Gilmore is good.

The game clinching INT against the Titans was a great play. He peeled off his man, absolutely destroyed Wright who had beaten Roby deep and made the pick. Without that play, The Titans have 1st down near FG range and likely win.

Thought it was one of best individual plays by Bills all year.

So your point is that Gilmore didn't help Darby as a rookie? Because if that's your opinion, I respectfully, wholeheartedly disagree with you. :)

yes. i see no correlation beyond his admitted mentoring. none. respectfully also Biscuit

Haha. There are still Gilmore haters!

its not hate, he has been a poor tackler and late to make said tackle. down and distance awareness have been his weakness and his ability to tackle with leverage.

yes. i see no correlation beyond his admitted mentoring. none. respectfully also Biscuit

its not hate, he has been a poor tackler and late to make said tackle. down and distance awareness have been his weakness and his ability to tackle with leverage.

and on second thought , whatever makes you think i am a Stepho hater? i love my Bills

Good post. I'm convinced if Gilmore danced and celebrated more, some fans would think he is a better player.

I guarantee also it every DC in the league would love to have him.

that ridiculous to me..

why are you over reaching to defend him.? he is very very good.

I never pointed out his ranking.

but you are reaching that every DC would love to have him. he sucks at zone coverage honestly

Why did he help with Ronalds "success " though. ? because of his statement? Rons affirmation? that fine by me honestly.

But i do wonder how folks reached that conclusion. Would Darby really be less of a player without Gilmore?

Yeah, we have 2 good cbs. That's a good thing. We always have to try and compare players and say who is better. It's kinda silly.

This is easy to agree upon :beer:

Gilmore is good and will get paid by someone.

He snuffed out Odell Beckham and many other top wideouts.

true enough. Wonder how rex allowed that to happen

The game clinching INT against the Titans was a great play. He peeled off his man, absolutely destroyed Wright who had beaten Roby deep and made the pick. Without that play, The Titans have 1st down near FG range and likely win.

probably the fierce pass rush

Not really. If I watched those other teams like I do the Bills I am sure I could give you plays where they helped turn tide or they sealed a game.

Gilmore is solid. He is by no means a top five corner, but he will get paid like one.

Thank you, yes that was the play I was thinking about. That was a good play.

And Sean Smith's deal comes in with Raiders

@mikegarafolo

CB Sean Smith's deal with the Raiders: four years, $40m with $20m guaranteed, as @RapSheet said. Agreed to early this AM (as in last night)

Btw we can't get away from this guy!!! No KC on schedule this year but we play silver and black

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stephon-gilmore/market-value/

I didn't see this posted. Apologies if it was. It's Spotrac's estimation of Gilmore's value, which they calculate to be about $13.5M per season with a total contract of 6 years, $81.4M. Their calculations were done prior to the recent signings and I don't know what, if any, effect they'd have. But, holy crap, that ballpark might be rough. They Bills really need to lock him up now (at a bit of a discount) if they want to keep him.