PFF Ranking of 2015 NFL Starting QBs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bigger issues are sustaining drives. That's on Tyrod as a short/intermediate passer and on situationally aware play calling.

It's really nice to have the deep ball but, for the most part, the NFL is still a short/intermediate game. It might be boring but clock control is the object of the Roman attack.

I'd rather have Tyrod than not. Good first year, must get better. Have to remember that development isn't a given in the NFL but he seems to have the drive to get better. I wouldn't bet against him.

Then why does he throw deep so often?

I think TT is most definitely top 10 as far as upside goes, here's to him fully realizing his potential.

Not singling you out but the designation a few used of "top ten potential" or "top ten upside" is an odd one to me when you stop to think about what it, roughly, translates to.

Luck is a good QB, I know this. I also know he is asked to pass much more, but if you take an average of Lucks 4 year career vs Tyrod year each has his own good points. Attempts, completions, yards, and # of tds Luck has and no one would deny that. In QB rating, QBR, yds/att, completion %, rushing, # ints, # fumbles lost all go to Tyrod. The problem with Luck is the number of turnovers. He has 69 turnovers in 55 games that's 1.25 a game. Tyrod has 7 in 14 game that's .5 a game. Counting tds, passing and rushing, and turnovers, ints and fumbles Luck 113/69 - 1.637 td/turnover ratio. Tyrod 24/7 - 3.428 td/turnover ratio. I like Tyrod going forward(not saying more than Luck) especially with him having Sammy to throw to.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Craziness?

You made the statement: "He's not a top 10 QB."

I asked you to name 10 better. You named 6.

I think you missed the phrase "all of the QB listed ahead of him" (by PFF). Which would mean 9 + 6 and put Taylor 16th in C Biscuit's ranking. At least, the way I learnt maths.

Edit: not intending to argue his list with you, as evidently he doesn't intend to either. Just to point out what I think you missed in his post.

Then why does he throw deep so often?

Because he can? It's one of the things he's good at, especially with a good target who can adjust to the ball as can Watkins.

I hear people on this board say we shouldn't go all in on TT , and what does this really mean?

Does it mean, the team shouldn't support him 100%?

Does it mean , the fan base shouldn't support him 100%?

Does it mean, we shouldn't give him a new contract?

I think it means we keep our eyes out for a developmental QB at a skill per draft position point that we're willing to pay.

I think it means that we don't do what we did with Fitz: we don't fail to draft a QB "because we've got one" until it's proven and reproven beyond a reasonable doubt that we don't, and then go all out and draft a QB in a QB-poor year - exactly the recipe "if you wait until you need a QB to draft one you've waited too long" that Nix claimed to want to avoid.

I think it means we don't sign him to the big $$ contract until he shows some of the improvements Whaley tagged and proves that he's not a 1 year wonder.

Edited by Hopeful

I just think different things are being argued or maybe I misread the article, but I thought that ranking was for QB's this year, and not QB's going forward. The article isn't coming up for me right now but if it's for rankings this year, I don't know how anyone can say Flacco/Luck were better than TT this year. If we are discussing QB's going forward, than yes, I would not rank TT ahead of Flacco or Luck yet.

Not singling you out but the designation a few used of "top ten potential" or "top ten upside" is an odd one to me when you stop to think about what it, roughly, translates to.

I look at it simply as who I would start a franchise with today, maybe by definition it's not the same. I throw out older players such as Brady and Big Ben, as well as underachievers like Stafford and Ryan.

How to you judge that? I'd judge it by who I'd want behind center leading my team next year and into the future.

Then it is all pretty subjective dont you think?

I have seen enough from TT that I definately want him leading my team going forward (still want to draft a QB that it has nothing to do with who I want behind center into the near future.)

John, I like you and I think you're a great poster. I think the years of missing the playoffs over and over again had made me more of a "realist" (I hate these stupid terms). I've even said I think Luck was getting overrated.

But nowhere but a Bills' board would someone honestly try to compare Taylor and Luck.

its hard to compare them because we dont really have the body of work to do it.

but

In all honesty if we compared performance on JUST this year.......I would not put luck up with Tyrod Taylor (this year)

In previous years? Yes they cannot be compared.

By the way....I like you as a poster to.....were just debating a subject.

I just think different things are being argued or maybe I misread the article, but I thought that ranking was for QB's this year, and not QB's going forward. The article isn't coming up for me right now but if it's for rankings this year, I don't know how anyone can say Flacco/Luck were better than TT this year. If we are discussing QB's going forward, than yes, I would not rank TT ahead of Flacco or Luck yet.

Flacco(career avg/game) Tyrod(this year/game)

Yds/gm 232 217

yds/att 7.0 8.0

Td/gm 1.32 1.42

int/gm .83 .42

fumlst/gm .18 .07

comp% 60.9 63.7

sacks/gm 2.1 2.5

sckyds/gm 15.02 17.5

rshyds/gm 5.36 40.57

rshtds/gm .106 .285

qb rat 84.7 99.4

I'd, personally I would take Tyrod.

Yds/gm 232 217

yds/att 7.0 8.0

Td/gm 1.32 1.42

int/gm .83 .42

fumlst/gm .18 .07

comp% 60.9 63.7

sacks/gm 2.1 2.5

sckyds/gm 15.02 17.5

rshyds/gm 5.36 40.57

rshtds/gm .106 .285

qb rat 84.7 99.4

Dude. What.

Yds/gm 232 217

yds/att 7.0 8.0

Td/gm 1.32 1.42

int/gm .83 .42

fumlst/gm .18 .07

comp% 60.9 63.7

sacks/gm 2.1 2.5

sckyds/gm 15.02 17.5

rshyds/gm 5.36 40.57

rshtds/gm .106 .285

qb rat 84.7 99.4

No comment.

Dude. What.

I included every stat I could think of and tried to not leave any out. What does he offer Tyrod doesn't? 15 more passing yards and .4 less sacks a game. Every other statistical passing category Tyrod has him. More tds a game, a whole yard more per pass, half the ints a game, completion %, qb rating. If it's yards your after Tyrod more than makes up for it in rushing yards a game +35. Joe had a great 4 game run on the way to the Super Bowl, 11 tds/ 0 ints, I know. Outside of that, his postseason record 6-5 14 tds/10 ints . I know I know it's a Super Bowl.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Tyrod isn't even Top 3 for Bills QBs over the past 16-year playoff drought. At least, according to our favorite, Sully:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick; 2. Drew Bledsoe; 3. J.P. Losman; 4. Tyrod Taylor; 5. Trent Edwards; 6. Rob Johnson; 7. Kyle Orton; 8. EJ Manuel.

He still has Losman as better than Tyrod. "To me, Taylor is a more talented and efficient Losman, but needs another year to prove it."

Click if you dare, but really, I wouldn't do it if I were you

Tyrod isn't even Top 3 for Bills QBs over the past 16-year playoff drought. At least, according to our favorite, Sully:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick; 2. Drew Bledsoe; 3. J.P. Losman; 4. Tyrod Taylor; 5. Trent Edwards; 6. Rob Johnson; 7. Kyle Orton; 8. EJ Manuel.

He still has Losman as better than Tyrod. "To me, Taylor is a more talented and efficient Losman, but needs another year to prove it."

LMFAO. No comment.

Go back and compare the numbers I listed in the other thread regarding TT.

His TD/INT ratio; Completion %; YPA; and QBR were the best among any QB we've had since Kelly. Only Trent Edwards (ironically enough) beat TT in any one of those categories in a given year - and that was in completion %

Edited by bobobonators

Based on this year alone? All the guys listed ahead of him, Alex Smith, Rodgers, Fitz, Eli, Flacco, Luck just off the top of my head.

I like Taylor and I am consistent that I don't crazy over one year. It's why I wanted to give guys more time after their first years to just label them busts. This league adjusts pretty quick.

We beat one team with a winning record. Our gameplan was to limit the amount of passes. In almost half of his starts, we threw for 215 yards or less. Again, I like Taylor but there is a lot to improve on. He is Alex Smith with a deep ball who doesn't throw over the middle. There's are certainly things he can improve on but to say he's a top 10 qb after one year is being a giant homer.

Fitz, really, you can't be serious, he threw half as many interceptions as TT did all year in three straight possessions with the playoffs on the line. My God I wish we had him back, after the game Sunday, I was reflecting on how much I miss those late game back breaking interceptions you could count on with Fitz.

I think you missed the phrase "all of the QB listed ahead of him" (by PFF). Which would mean 9 + 6 and put Taylor 16th in C Biscuit's ranking. At least, the way I learnt maths.

Edit: not intending to argue his list with you, as evidently he doesn't intend to either. Just to point out what I think you missed in his post.

Because he can? It's one of the things he's good at, especially with a good target who can adjust to the ball as can Watkins.

I think it means we keep our eyes out for a developmental QB at a skill per draft position point that we're willing to pay.

I think it means that we don't do what we did with Fitz: we don't fail to draft a QB "because we've got one" until it's proven and reproven beyond a reasonable doubt that we don't, and then go all out and draft a QB in a QB-poor year - exactly the recipe "if you wait until you need a QB to draft one you've waited too long" that Nix claimed to want to avoid.

I think it means we don't sign him to the big $$ contract until he shows some of the improvements Whaley tagged and proves that he's not a 1 year wonder.

I realize this. My point was disagreeing that Roman's offense is about controlling the clock. He wants to control the clock when it's to our advantage, but he will try for the quick strike when it's there. He's a good coordinator.

LMAO and that guy gets paid to spout that stuff.