Bucs have fired Lovie Smith

FireChan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a surprise and a pretty strange move. That team seemed to be trending in the right direction...

Blowing it up is crazy. They have many of the pieces; now they start all over again. 3 year learning curve with a young QB having to learn another system.

Gosh I hope we don't do that again. Rex can be as big a blowhard as he wants, he needs to be IT for the next 4 years. Please stay the course. Draft well. Work the cap to keep key players. Be a damn NFL Franchise for pete's sake..

Like Smith or not, this decision is just stupid. Smith has been a winning coach before. They had no QB last year and a rookie this year. What the hell do people expect? Someone will take the job but if Winston starts stealing crab legs again then what? Does the next coach need to have a winning record after eight games? What if the next coach loses a preseason game or god-forbid looks bad in a scrimmage against intra-state rival Miami?How can owners and GM's running billion dollar businesses make such horrible decisions?

Hiring a coach that likes crab legs is a must.

:lol:

I don't get it. Marrone has a poor track record. The guy may have been an offensive coordinator in New Orleans but never called the plays. He took a below average college program and made it average at best. Then of course he quit on the Bills and ran off with the money. To be honest, I cannot blame him and shame on Bills Senior Management on allowing that clause in the contract. Whoever negotatiated on the Bills side should be shot. Finally, he did nothing in Jacksonville except swim in his money.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago

The #Bucs have fired Lovie Smith.

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 3m3 minutes ago

The #Bucs have fired Lovie Smith, per the team.

I don't get this. They seemed to be headed in the right direction if you ask me. Their one really bad loss this year was to the Redskins in the "You like that?!?!?!" game and the Skins won their division. Personally, I think Koetter will get the job and he is the reason Lovie was fired after the Philly job came open then his statement was put out there.

Blowing it up is crazy. They have many of the pieces; now they start all over again. 3 year learning curve with a young QB having to learn another system.

By the looks of it, they are neither blowing things up or starting all over. Rumor is they want to promote their OC. There will be some changes, but nothing drastic.

Doug Marrone, according to Adam Schefter and Jimmy Sexton.

Adam Gase?

Gase is also Sexton's client. And if the media is to be believed every team is about to offer him a bajillion dollar contract - just like Marrone! When I saw how similar the media reports of Marrone and Gase were I had a pretty good guess who his agent was. Yup. Sexton.

Not sure about the Lovie Smith firing either. It did seem like he had that team headed in the right direction. I wonder if there was some major disagreement with the front office or some kind of power struggle?

I think Lovie is a below average coach. But, he did seem to finish the season on an upswing.

I've always thought he was overrated too but it does seem odd for a team that shows signs of improvement with a new QB.

I agree with others that the Bucs must see someone out there they really want; Fisher, Kelly, etc.

I've always thought he was overrated too but it does seem odd for a team that shows signs of improvement with a new QB.

I agree with others that the Bucs must see someone out there they really want; Fisher, Kelly, etc.

Look up-thread. Their OC.

I don't get it. Marrone has a poor track record. The guy may have been an offensive coordinator in New Orleans but never called the plays. He took a below average college program and made it average at best. Then of course he quit on the Bills and ran off with the money. To be honest, I cannot blame him and shame on Bills Senior Management on allowing that clause in the contract. Whoever negotatiated on the Bills side should be shot. Finally, he did nothing in Jacksonville except swim in his money.

Why? It's an easy clause to give on in a contract negotiation since it was agreed to by the Wilsons and they knew the only way it would be triggered is if they were no longer the ones who'd be paying out on it.

It's very common to have a change of ownership trigger all sorts of things in executive compensation.

And it worked out for the Bills. Marrone was terrible.

Look up-thread. Their OC.

I rarely get past the first page! :lol:

Gase is also Sexton's client. And if the media is to be believed every team is about to offer him a bajillion dollar contract - just like Marrone! When I saw how similar the media reports of Marrone and Gase were I had a pretty good guess who his agent was. Yup. Sexton.

I think you are on to something here. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Gase's name keeps popping up as a candidate. He hasn't exactly done anything in Chicago.

The NFL is one of the weirder old boys networks in existence. It routinely fires these guys because they're not good but rarely expand their horizons beyond the already discarded pool of talent.

It's like some kind of self-perpetuating misery machine.

This is so true. Every GM/owner of a struggling team thinks that another struggling team's freshly fired coach will be the guy that turns their fortunes around, as though every Rex Ryan or Jack Del Rio is a Bellichick or Carroll waiting to blossom.

It's a bizarre system.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Not sure about the Lovie Smith firing either. It did seem like he had that team headed in the right direction. I wonder if there was some major disagreement with the front office or some kind of power struggle?

wow I didn't know Gase was a sexton client but that makes a ton of sense. Schefter (also a sexton client) was on radio here yesterday and when asked about who were the leading candidates for the Browns job he kept going back to "Gase and Marrone" but had zero reasons as to why.

I think you are on to something here. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Gase's name keeps popping up as a candidate. He hasn't exactly done anything in Chicago.

Sexton is THE agent for coaches. His client list is unbelievable*. Gase switched to him a year ago and since then the media has portrayed every team looking for a coach as infatuated with him. Yet he didn't get hired last season. He's a good candidate and he might make a very good HC, but the hype is unreal.

* Saban, Malzahn, Freeze, Jim Mora Jr., Schwartz, Rex Ryan, Gase, Marrone, Suh, Julio Jones, etc., etc.

Edited by BarleyNY

Sexton is THE agent for coaches. His client list is unbelievable. Gase switched to him a year ago and since then the media has portrayed every team looking for a coach as infatuated with him. Yet he didn't get hired last season. He's a good candidate and he might make a very good HC, but the hype is u real.

i just saw Cardale Jones hired Sexton to be his agent. Good decision if he wants hype. Haha

i just saw Cardale Jones hired Sexton to be his agent. Good decision if he wants hype. Haha

Smart move by Cardale. You're exactly right. Tebow was a client too and look where he got over drafted.

Edited by BarleyNY