Bucs have fired Lovie Smith

FireChan

The NFL is one of the weirder old boys networks in existence. It routinely fires these guys because they're not good but rarely expand their horizons beyond the already discarded pool of talent.

It's like some kind of self-perpetuating misery machine.

I was having very similar thoughts but you expressed it well.

Lovie Smith, though, is a bit of a strange case. 9 years with the Bears, 3 playoffs, 1 superbowl appearance with the likes of Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton, and Jay Cutler at QB. I don't follow all the details but I figure there must be something there. Chicago always seemed to make very strange QB and personnel decisions. I think Lovie's main problem was staying too long in an organization that wasn't all that. But I really don't follow da Bears enough to have an opinion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gase is also Sexton's client. And if the media is to be believed every team is about to offer him a bajillion dollar contract - just like Marrone! When I saw how similar the media reports of Marrone and Gase were I had a pretty good guess who his agent was. Yup. Sexton.

Not sure about the Lovie Smith firing either. It did seem like he had that team headed in the right direction. I wonder if there was some major disagreement with the front office or some kind of power struggle?

Somebody needs to remind Disney about the journalists' code of ethics.

LOL!!! Weren't you on the very crowded Cardale bandwagon last January?? ;)

just kidding. I know he has a bust factor to him but I think that's only applicable if he's drafted high. I doubt that happens now. i am on the "take a flyer on him" bandwagon but he's a project, not high pick. I would be thrilled if they took him in the 4th or later. I still like his potential a lot.

Don't want to derail the Lovie thread though, apologies.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is so true. Every GM/owner of a struggling team thinks that another struggling team's freshly fired coach will be the guy that turns their fortunes around, as though every Rex Ryan or Jack Del Rio is a Bellichick or Carroll waiting to blossom.

It's a bizarre system.

Just remember, Belli-boy and Carroll were both cast-off failures at one point. One of the greatest advantages they had was coming into organizations with very limited prior success. It allowed them to develop the organization gradually. Rex and others like him come into an organization that is pressing hard to get to the playoffs. Sometimes that pressure induces foolish decisions.

This past season, we could look at several signings as indicators of that type of thinking. We signed Percy Harvin to a contract which he was unlikely to fulfill based on injury history alone. We paid Felton like the best FB in the NFL only to have him play a minority of the offensive snaps. These types of moves reflect the organizational desperation. You could even argue that they overpaid for a TE who is injury prone (although I am not critical of that move).

On the other hand, it appears that the Bills have learned to divorce themselves from previous mistakes (demoting Manuel and trading Cassel are two prime examples). This is akin to NE benching Bledsoe after his recovery and Seattle ditching Flynn as soon as it was obvious that Wilson was the man.

Last off season was entertaining. This off season will be much more educational.

Back to the Bucs...I don't think they are tearing it down. I think they are going to go with Koetter and let him get a DC. Since they already are running with 43 personnel, perhaps they hire the Schwartz!? They are on the right track in the most important department - QB.

This past season, we could look at several signings as indicators of that type of thinking. We signed Percy Harvin to a contract which he was unlikely to fulfill based on injury history alone. We paid Felton like the best FB in the NFL only to have him play a minority of the offensive snaps. These types of moves reflect the organizational desperation. You could even argue that they overpaid for a TE who is injury prone (although I am not critical of that move).

Part of that is the fact that any new coach needs time to evaluate his player's strengths and weaknesses and figure out how they fit what the coach wants to do. That takes all off-season and through camp and pre-season, but most FA signings happen early in the process, adding to the risk of signing a guy you don't end up using as much as you originally thought. Another reason why continuity is critical to success.

Just remember, Belli-boy and Carroll were both cast-off failures at one point. One of the greatest advantages they had was coming into organizations with very limited prior success. It allowed them to develop the organization gradually. Rex and others like him come into an organization that is pressing hard to get to the playoffs. Sometimes that pressure induces foolish decisions.

Actually, it turned out that BB and Carroll were excellent coaches after all. None of these other retreads have shown that this is the case with them. They just get fired again.

Rex came into a Jets team and that went right to the playoffs. Since then, he has done nothing.

Koetter was a crappy HC in college. He coached the team I root for, ASU. His offenses were good and he was clearly a good offensive mind but he was one of those guys whose teams were bad and he never seemed like he knew what he was doing. Maybe part of it was recruiting. He's several years older now after working in the NFL so maybe now he's ready. But I would predict he's like a lot of good coordinators that they are not good managers and CEOs and don't have what it takes to be a HC.

It's hilarious Bills fans are knocking Smith as a coach. He has won 9 or more games 5 times; went to SB with Rex Grossman; & went to a title game with Jay Cutler (cut let's only time making the playoffs in his entire career). We such are lucky we didn't have a bum like that coaching the Bills! :)

Might be, but Why?

In Atlanta, didn't he take over a top-10 offense with a franchise QB at the helm and turn it into a top-20 offense (on points, which is the, um, POINT of an offense)?

In Jacksonville, what exactly did he accomplish?

I think it's about time white coaches finally get some jobs. :)

@JayGlazer

Talked to Lovie Smith, to say he was blindsided is an understatement!!!

Blinsided?? He lost 5 of his last 6 games. $ of the losses were to the Colts, Rams, Bears, Saints--none of which finished with more than 7 wins.

I guess anything looks like an "upswing" when you compare it to a 2 win season.