Favorite sports quotes

"Larry Bird was so good you could wear his jersey in the hood"- Charles Barkley

"From Second Street to Bourbon Street"- this became the rallying cry for the 85 Bears in training camp to get to Super Bowl 20 because after practice they would hit the local bars which were located on Second Street and the Super Bowl was being played in New Orleans that year

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Larry Bird was so good you could wear his jersey in the hood"- Charles Barkley

"From Second Street to Bourbon Street"- this became the rallying cry for the 85 Bears in training camp to get to Super Bowl 20 because after practice they would hit the local bars which were located on Second Street and the Super Bowl was being played in New Orleans that year

That's freaking awesome.

:worthy::worthy::worthy: :worthy:

unheard of for todays players (although Kyle might try it for a SB)

What is ELP?

:lol:

ELP is Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, a prog rock back from the '70s. confused by others in this thread with Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet.

Hey, I don't know music good enough to know who the L and the P are in ELO

obviously

ELP is Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, a prog rock back from the '70s. confused by others in this thread with Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet.

I figured it wasn't Emerson because it would be RWE

"If you listen to the fans, youll find yourself sitting with them" - Joe Kuharich

"You got any excuses tonight, Roy?" - Antonio Tarver

"You're an idiot" - DC Tom

Applause

"The more his team acted like idiots, the more we wanted to play."

Lindy Ruff - wrt the Hitchcock led Flyers during 2006 SC playoffs

"Tell Lindy to f*** off."

Ken Hitchcock - to the press in response

Got me thinking about some hockey quotes:

"Good, 'cause you fell, you fat pig! Have another doughnut! Have another doughnut!"

"He shoots … HE SCORES!! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! BRAD MAY WINS IT IN OVERTIME!"

Arguably the best golf ball striker of all time, Moe Norman, was asked during the Canadian Open (after 3 putting an incredible amount of greens the prior day) "what's wrong with your putting Moe"? as he was approaching a par 3. Moe responded, " there will be no putting today". Then followed up by acing the 3 par!

Eruzione also said he told the team before the start of their last game....after beating the Russians: if you lose this game you'll take it to your graves.......your effin graves.

I also like Greg Popovich's "Remember the Alamo" although I don't really know why and I'm not sure how it got so famous.

I think the best thing about Brooks's speech is that was all he said.

What else was there to say really?

Edited by vincec

The story goes that during a Tonight Show appearance, Arnold Palmer was asked by Johnny Carson if he had any good-luck rituals. The golfer replied, "Yes, my wife kisses my balls." To which Carson supposedly quipped, "I'll bet that flutters your putter."

Carson was the best. I remember when Dean Martin was on and he corrected Johnny's grammar, telling he that "he had a dangling participle", Carson responded that he'd wear a long rain coat and no one would notice.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson.

One of my personal favorites.

Mike was surprisingly wise. I also always remember that he said one of the things he learned in his career was that as hard as he was working every day in the gym training and getting ready for fights, there were other people working just as hard to come up with ways to separate him from his money. A very cynical view but probably right on.

Close. Herb Brooks said it in between the second and third period when the US was losing 2-1. US blew out Finland in the 3rd to win the gold medal.

Interesting. I thought Eruzzione said is was before the game as well. Edited by vincec

McKay was an underrated quote waiting to happen. Two of my favorites:

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."[/size]

"3 or 4 plane crashes and we're in the Playoffs"[/size]

"We can't stop the run or the pass. Otherwise we're in great shape."

“If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games for you.”

“The first time you quit, it’s hard. The second time, it gets easier. The third time, you don’t even have to think about it.”

“If you want to coach you have three rules to follow to win. One, surround yourself with people who can’t live without football. I’ve had a lot of them. Two, be able to recognize winners. They come in all forms. And, three, have a plan for everything. A plan for practice, a plan for the game. A plan for being ahead, and a plan for being behind 20-0 at half, with your quarterback hurt and the phones dead, with it raining cats and dogs and no rain gear because the equipment man left it at home.”

- Bear Bryant