Whaley signs multi-year extension with Bills

YoloinOhio

Either let go or promote someone over him and RR. I loathe the organizational set-up right now. Both Rex and Whaley independently reporting to Pegs is not ideal.

That depends if RR and DW are not working well with EACH OTHER......if they are then it is a very good situation.

It's a tough situation because I wouldn't have put myself into it to begin with, so it's hard to say how to move forward. Either you force Rex onto a GM/czar type (again, not ideal) or you have this disjointed mess. I don't believe that Whaley is happy with how the defense he has basically built (along with Buddy) has been rendered ineffective. I believe in the reports that there is organizational friction on Mario and some other defensive players.

There is a very strong possibility that Mario might be the problem here as well and was just a malconent.........I dont know this for sure and this next season will def answer that question.

However, I believe Whaley wanted Rex here and played a fundamental role in his hiring. That's a contentious point to many, but operating under that assumption, I fire Whaley for such an egregious error, and I try to hire someone happy with Rex.

Can we not act like they didnt do a extensive hiring search and that they interviewed SEVERAL before settling in on Rex Ryan.....and then can we also act like 1 year does not a bad coaching hire make? It has been ONE year.

I feel one hell of a lot better about this team than I did last year at this time.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As would be most 1st year starting QBs? Which is like 99 percent of them?

Basically.

Gary agrees, Mr 2nd place. and lucky to be that.

I was robbed.

And another in an endless series of things you are wrong about. ;)

Oh you.

Either let go or promote someone over him and RR. I loathe the organizational set-up right now. Both Rex and Whaley independently reporting to Pegs is not ideal.

That depends if RR and DW are not working well with EACH OTHER......if they are then it is a very good situation.

It's a tough situation because I wouldn't have put myself into it to begin with, so it's hard to say how to move forward. Either you force Rex onto a GM/czar type (again, not ideal) or you have this disjointed mess. I don't believe that Whaley is happy with how the defense he has basically built (along with Buddy) has been rendered ineffective. I believe in the reports that there is organizational friction on Mario and some other defensive players.

There is a very strong possibility that Mario might be the problem here as well and was just a malconent.........I dont know this for sure and this next season will def answer that question.

However, I believe Whaley wanted Rex here and played a fundamental role in his hiring. That's a contentious point to many, but operating under that assumption, I fire Whaley for such an egregious error, and I try to hire someone happy with Rex.

Can we not act like they didnt do a extensive hiring search and that they interviewed SEVERAL before settling in on Rex Ryan.....and then can we also act like 1 year does not a bad coaching hire make? It has been ONE year.

-How well can they be working together when the defense Whaley built has been broken by Rex?

-There's no way Mario was the problem, everyone had down years except our CB's and Manny

-If you do an extensive search and still hire a bad HC, how is that better? You were still wrong.

The same excuses for TT are the same ones for Fitz. Like it or not, a depleted WR group and weak defense is what kept us out of the postseason this year, same as the Fitz era in Buffalo.

Taylor has had 5 years in the NFL.

Again, you know what the response will be. It's quite ridiculous how you like to leave things out. 1st year starting, you can't get that experience in practice. I don't know why I continue to feed you with responses.

Basically.

I was robbed.

Oh you.

-How well can they be working together when the defense Whaley built has been broken by Rex?

-There's no way Mario was the problem, everyone had down years except our CB's and Manny

-If you do an extensive search and still hire a bad HC, how is that better? You were still wrong.

i would have crushed you. CRUSHED.

I'd say that shows his football involvement

No. It shows he's an advisor (not a decider) to TP on executive decisions, like extending a GM.

And TP, the geologist and billion dollar man is smart enough to consider RB advice, and blow it off when necessary.

If RB were making draft decisions, player personnel decisions, select what tape the trainers use... then he's in football operations.

If TP were a mindless drone who has fallen under the svengali like influence of RD... then RB is in football operations.

Though I do think whomever posted the big noggin of RB in this thread has a knack for production that exceeds Q Tarrantino.

Basically.

I was robbed.

Oh you.

I dont know you are wrong here. But lets say for instance that you ARE right and Rex forced a style onto the defense. Whaley had previously been signing/bringing in talent for a previous style. If they are working well together Whaley will bring in talent that matches what Rex needs. This next offseason will be a true test of their working relationship.

If you did not notice that Mario was going through the motions this year....I dont know what to tell you. Mario's effort was bad....REALLY bad.....when your a talented D player you can play in multiple schemes......this guy was getting blocked by ONE guy a LOT this year. Mario Williams was absolutely a problem.

True...IF YOU ARE WRONG. One season does not determine that

I'd say that shows his football involvement

Um, the Bills are in the football business, Brandon is president of the Bills; ergo, he's involved in football every working minute of his life. Which does NOT mean he makes "football decisions." The distinction seems simple enough but I guess the concept is fuzzy to some.

Again, you know what the response will be. It's quite ridiculous how you like to leave things out. 1st year starting, you can't get that experience in practice. I don't know why I continue to feed you with responses.

How many years of "starting" did Fitz have before Buffalo?

^^^^^clutch

I heard their yaht is named "The Rogue"

@rapsheet

Extension for #Bills GM Doug Whaley is a multi-year deal, source said. Long-term, not 1-year band-aid. Answers questions about an ultimatum.

If it's the same one they signed Rex on than it's "Titanic".

Basically.

I was robbed.

Oh you.

I dont know you are wrong here. But lets say for instance that you ARE right and Rex forced a style onto the defense. Whaley had previously been signing/bringing in talent for a previous style. If they are working well together Whaley will bring in talent that matches what Rex needs. This next offseason will be a true test of their working relationship.

If you did not notice that Mario was going through the motions this year....I dont know what to tell you. Mario's effort was bad....REALLY bad.....when your a talented D player you can play in multiple schemes......this guy was getting blocked by ONE guy a LOT this year. Mario Williams was absolutely a problem.

True...IF YOU ARE WRONG. One season does not determine that

-Rex Ryan wasn't hired to have a year of rebuilding. If the assumption was the RR and Whaley would need a year to get on the same page, it was a lie. If it wasn't, it was a failure.

-I never said he wasn't a problem, but he wasn't the only problem, as you seem to believe.

-Yes it does. As I alluded to before, RR was hired to "win now." Not to rebuild a defense. Not to have growing pains.

He started in St. Louis. And in Cincy.

He played 3 games in STL, and 13 in one year in Cincy. At best, you could argue he had 2 years starting experience before Buffalo. So the expectation was by his 5th year he should drag the 32nd ranked D and the Donald Jones crew to the postseason?

Okay, so how many years does TT get to prove he can carry a bad defense before you cut bait?

I think re-signing Whaley is a great move. Talent level here now is so different than mid-late 2000s. I feel we quickly forget. Two non-losing seasons for the Bills is pretty unusual - as the stats show. And he is young and should get better. Some home runs - Sammy, Tyrod, Darby, Richie, etc. Biggest miss was Manuel, but it was a reasonable risk when we were desperate for QB help - we all like Fitz, but for us he cost far too much to keep and he would not restructure. And at QB, they kept after it and got Tyrod when the likelihood of a miss with EJ became apparent.

​More than anything, with Whaley it seems like we are always trying to get better in ways that are not illogical -- even if not all attempts work (EJ, Cyrus and Harvin). I have not had that desperate "what the world are we doing" feeling in a few years.

We need some new D pieces. If Mario is not a stud (and there is no argument he was not this year), the sure pieces we have on D are actually pretty few: Darby, Gilmore, Hughes and Dareus. That is about it - lots of mediocre talent on that side was masked by the "cold front" - I think they will get it fixed.

He played 3 games in STL, and 13 in one year in Cincy. At best, you could argue he had 2 years starting experience before Buffalo. So the expectation was by his 5th year he should drag the 32nd ranked D and the Donald Jones crew to the postseason?

Okay, so how many years does TT get to prove he can carry a bad defense before you cut bait?

I'm not sure what you guys were debating, because I didn't read everything, but I like Fitz, he is a football player. Fitz and Chan did a very good job on offense with very little. That being said what we saw of Fitz in that last game is exactly who he is. He will break you heart more often then not.

I like TT and I think he is just going to get better.

No, I didn't expect that. I think he sucks.

-Rex Ryan wasn't hired to have a year of rebuilding. If the assumption was the RR and Whaley would need a year to get on the same page, it was a lie. If it wasn't, it was a failure.

Not disputing that but here we sit....it is about next year now.

-I never said he wasn't a problem, but he wasn't the only problem, as you seem to believe.

There is nowhere...in any of my posts....that you can point to and say that I said Mario was the only problem. Your reaching.

-Yes it does. As I alluded to before, RR was hired to "win now." Not to rebuild a defense. Not to have grSowing pains.

See point one. You are correct in that they are in win now mode.....BUT if they right the ship going into year 2 they will point to all the injuries and Rex will not be considered a bad hire.

So much negativism on the board today!! C'mon, we are BILLS FANS. Sure this year was a disappointment. But harken back to 84-85, or for the old timers '68. Five wins combined in those years! My whole life the sword of imminent departure hung over the team, and it is gone! They are going to get one before I die, I feel it. We have had it so much worse for so often - we can be a good team for a long time with what we have, and we have a chance to be great.

​We are in the hunt. I agree with not blowing it up. Pegs needs to convince Rex not to put too much pressure on his own club with his big mouth. But there are some good things about Rex - he is a competitor.

Would love to see them hire Coughlin as football czar - over Rex and Whaley. Possible?