Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

Does the BN have Ty Dunne and Vic Carucci working in silos? Isolation chambers?

The News is a poorly run organization. The editors should have been aware of both stories (in progress) and had the chestnuts to run one or the other -- presumably the story with the strongest source. Back when I worked in the news business, one of these reporters would be a candidate for singing in the Vienna Boys Choir.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

accountability in 1 season is stupid, 2 seasons dumb - I don't think you can make a smart decision until the end of year 3. Oh sure the bad teams do it hell Cleveland does it every year- the good teams don't.

that's because good teams don't have to, they are good with good people running them....

Rex didn't come here in a normal situation where he had to rebuild a losing team like most new coaches. He was handed a nice situation where he was handed a top defence and a 9-7 team that just needed to improve the offence. This team took 2 steps back instead of one step forward. No one would be chasing Rex out of here if they had missed the playoffs but still had a great defence and just had to tweak the offence some more. Now we have a defence needs to be rebuilt to his scheme and one of the most undisciplined teams in the league, ever....

I don't like this.

I hope Whaley especially doesn't take a short-sighted view and over-spends to try to save his job.

I always felt that the EJ was pick was borne out of Buddy basically having 1 more year left.

This is a good point. There is a risk there. But the good part of this is that either the Bills are in the playoffs or Rex is gone. For Rex to be even a competent HC he has to transform his character. He is not a leader and he really doesn't have a HC skill set. I'm not optimistic but, at last, it's only for on more year if it goes bad again which, sadly, I think it will.

I finally got to read the article. Where's the big retraction?

So the source also said that there was no one-year ultimatum given to Whaley and Ryan to perform in 2016 or be fired. Those close to Pegula also say it's not in his nature to do such a thing. Earlier Tuesday, a team source told The News' Vic Carucci that such a meeting occurred between Whaley, Ryan and Pegula about a week ago.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/source-bills-working-on-a-contract-extension-with-doug-whaley/

Not much of a retraction IMO, I see 2 sources listed with different takes... and even with an extension, there's no guarantee he's not gone with Rex after this year if they fall short again.

And also, as I said at the beginning of this, it's possible Whaley would be kept on as head scout or pro personnel director but be stripped of his GM title if they fall short again next year. These reports aren't inherently inconsistent. Just kinda.

And also, as I said at the beginning of this, it's possible Whaley would be kept on as head scout or pro personnel director but be stripped of his GM title if they fall short again next year. These reports aren't inherently inconsistent. Just kinda.

Could be. Rex isn't reporting to him now, I don't know how much of a downgrade that would really be for him, other than on paper and in title.

Second time in two days I'll say it here... stop reading the BN. How anyone thinks any of the hacks there have a shred of credibility is beyond me. Their opinions just don't matter and their reporting is lower tier, same with WGR. We're a medium sized market, we get mediocre talent. This new guy, Dunne I think, he made the massive jump from Green Bay to Buffalo, whoa big timer. If they were good, they wouldn't be here. The days of Felser and Kelley are long gone, the replacement honks now are merely chasing any piece of info they can, hiding behind deep throated sources in the name of timeliness over accuracy. In the 24 hour news cycle, the print media has resorted to nonstop anonymous sourcing and tweeting to try and remain relevant. They just aren't.

I come here a few times a day for any good treads or possibly news and that's it. I was a diehard newspaper guy for years, I don't waste my time. It offers zero value. Take the same approach, you'll find yourself happier.

Just took Vic off my Twitter feed. It's time, he's F'd up for the last time, damn. :death:

Ha, I just did that for Sully. Couldn't figure out why I had him there in the first place.

Vic seems like a decent guy, though.