Football Outsiders Names Roman Coordinator of the Year

Vikes won their division and are hosting a playoff game.

Last year, it was Seattle who had the fewest pass attempts. They were one play away from winning the SB.

IMO it's not the offensive balance and philosophy with an inexperienced, developing QB and dominant running game that was the issue or will be an issue next year. It's that they didn't have the complementary defense needed to succeed with that type of offense/developing QB. Hopefully, that shores itself up next year. I expect that it will with some personnel tweaks and another year in the system.

And they lost on a pass. Maybe if they practiced passing more in the regular season it would have worked better :P

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A major point of contention for me. I believe it was Tyrod on several occasions who bypassed easier completions or scrambles that could have kept the chains moving.

Yeah, I forgot about opportunities to run for the first. He showed enough last season, just continue to improve and that position is set.

We don't know whether it's the specific play or Taylor's choice, but, please stop throwing low % passes 20-30 yards downfield on 3rd down. Get the first down!

& cut the "trick" plays by 70%.

I agree with you on your two points regarding the timing of those long throws and the over use of trick plays that accomplished little.

But overall Roman did a terrific job in coaching TT and understanding where he was as a player and development. It was evident that TT's play book was limited and he was handled cautiously. That was the right approach to take. Next year the play book will be expanded and the whole field will be used in the passing game in comparison to mostly the safer sideline passes.

Roman demonstrated a lot of wisdom, discipline and caution in his coaching and play calling. He was the perfect mentor for a young and emerging qb. The bottom line is that Roman was the right coordinator at the right time.for this franchise. He was a terrific hire for us.

I agree with you on your two points regarding the timing of those long throws and the over use of trick plays that accomplished little.

But overall Roman did a terrific job in coaching TT and understanding where he was as a player and development. It was evident that TT's play book was limited and he was handled cautiously. That was the right approach to take. Next year the play book will be expanded and the whole field will be used in the passing game in comparison to mostly the safer sideline passes.

Roman demonstrated a lot of wisdom, discipline and caution in his coaching and play calling. He was the perfect mentor for a young and emerging qb. The bottom line is that Roman was the right coordinator at the right time.for this franchise. He was a terrific hire for us.

i have to give Rex credit for recognizing this along with targeting TT in FA. Originally it was reported that Rex and Trestman were a package deal ... then it turned out his guy for OC was Roman. I am sure he knew that Pass-happy Trestman would not be a fit for the type of QBs Buffalo was going to have available to them. He had worked with Roman in Baltimore and knew his offensive philosophy. It worked. Edited by YoloinOhio

Co-ordinator of the year? I would think it is debatable. He was better then some of the previous guys here, but I didn't see him do anything really great that would make me think he was the best guy in the league this year. This big difference here this year was the offence finally had some improved talent and wasn't ignored in the off season like it was in previous years

i have to give Rex credit for recognizing this along with targeting TT in FA. Originally it was reported that Rex and Trestman were a package deal ... then it turned out his guy for OC was Roman. I am sure he knew that Pass-happy Trestman would not be a fit for the type of QBs Buffalo was going to have available to them. He had worked with Roman in Baltimore and knew his offensive philosophy. It worked.

Rex selected Roman to be his coordinator so he should be given credit for making that selection. Rex may have been an influence in attracting TT to Buffalo but that can't be clearly determined. Taylor was going to use his free agent status to go to a team that would provide him with the best opportunity to compete for a starting job. Because of its qb void Buffalo was a prime location for him (with Rex or not) to get a legitimate chance to compete for a starting job. If Rex was the determining factor then he deserves credit.

What is obvious to me is that Roman exhibited more wisdom and good judgment on managing the offense than Rex did in overseeing the defense. Roman did a masterful job in managing talent to scheme with the offense compared to what Rex did in managing his talent to scheme on defense. It's my opinion that Rex squandered a playoff opportunity because he grossly mishandled his favorite side of the ball.

Are you freakin' kidding me!? After all of the IDIOT offensive play calls we've sen all year long!? GTFOOH.

Agreed. I am not against Roman. But, find it odd as the season is over Roman is getting more credit. The "eye" test during games was frustrating. I think he has much more to prove in Buffalo. I do think he did a very nice job with TT (if he was his go two coach). His play calling was questionable even when he was doing okay or good.

I also think Kromer did a very good job improving our O line's techniques, and preparing them for Roman's 'get more numbers play side' philosophy.

Agreed. When Kromer was back (week 6?) we slowly started to move the ball better on a weekly basis.

The run game was fun to watch last year with McCoy and hopefully it will be again this year.

Not the extremely predictable sweeps. I just don't get them. I don't recall other passing plays being developed by them. It felt like watching us run the ball up the middle the year before with Hackett.

i have to give Rex credit for recognizing this along with targeting TT in FA. Originally it was reported that Rex and Trestman were a package deal ... then it turned out his guy for OC was Roman. I am sure he knew that Pass-happy Trestman would not be a fit for the type of QBs Buffalo was going to have available to them. He had worked with Roman in Baltimore and knew his offensive philosophy. It worked.

Why does Rex always get the TT credit and not Whaley? Serious question did I miss something that was said it was Rex?

Also, I am not a great football mind and before last offseason started I told friends we should kick the tires on TT. So, people are saying without Rex, Whaley could not have known about TT?

Agreed. I am not against Roman. But, find it odd as the season is over Roman is getting more credit. The "eye" test during games was frustrating. I think he has much more to prove in Buffalo. I do think he did a very nice job with TT (if he was his go two coach). His play calling was questionable even when he was doing okay or good.

Agreed. When Kromer was back (week 6?) we slowly started to move the ball better on a weekly basis.

Not the extremely predictable sweeps. I just don't get them. I don't recall other passing plays being developed by them. It felt like watching us run the ball up the middle the year before with Hackett.

Why does Rex always get the TT credit and not Whaley? Serious question did I miss something that was said it was Rex?

Also, I am not a great football mind and before last offseason started I told friends we should kick the tires on TT. So, people are saying without Rex, Whaley could not have known about TT?

Rex tried to trade for TT when he was in NY and did a lot of background work on him (Cam Cameron, Ravens connections, etc). He was instrumental in targeting him in Buffalo. No one is saying Whaley didn't know who he was or didn't have anything to do with it. But Rex was a big part and deserves credit. Edited by YoloinOhio

We don't know whether it's the specific play or Taylor's choice, but, please stop throwing low % passes 20-30 yards downfield on 3rd down. Get the first down!

Agreed. Personally I credit the upgrade in QB and huge upgrade in RB more for our improvements on offense (not to mention the very tiny shoes he had to fill seeing as Hackett was the coordinator before him). However, if he wants to stay on board, he really needs to make these changes.

Yep. And throw to SW more. Extend a drive or two and the numbers will improve. The run game is important, but there's more to football than running feet.

Hope we don't lead The League in rushing next year if it means we'll have the second fewest passing attempts like we did this year. Only the Vikes with 28.4 had fewer pass attempts per game than The Bills' 29.1. Roman should try to get 4 - 8 more passing attempts per game. That's about one or two more drives. Having a few less 3-and-Outs will be the key to that.

I would love to be #1 rushing again. Look at the Jets game. 40/20 time of possession. Play some D and you win 99% of the time.

Co-ordinator of the year? I would think it is debatable. He was better then some of the previous guys here, but I didn't see him do anything really great that would make me think he was the best guy in the league this year. This big difference here this year was the offence finally had some improved talent and wasn't ignored in the off season like it was in previous years

#13 in the NFL in total offense with a QB who never started before; with basically 1 WR (granted, Sammy is really good); and the starting RB missing a bunch of games due to injury.

The Bills led the league in "big plays" this season (rushing plays over 10yds and passing plays over 25yds).

Job well done IMO.

Edited by bobobonators

Rex tried to trade for TT when he was in NY and did a lot of background work on him (Cam Cameron, Ravens connections, etc). He was instrumental in targeting him in Buffalo.

I am an unabashed supporter of Taylor. Have been so since training camp and the preseason. If you gave me the choice of having the combo of Taylor and Rex or instead having a smart and mature HC without TT I would without hesitation prefer the smart and mature HC without TT and continue with the search for a franchise qb.

Just because I have little admiration for this boisterous and obnoxious HC doesn't mean that everything he did was wrong. In my opinion if you ranked RR against the other HCs in the league he would rank near the bottom. You don't go far with a mediocre HC in this parity driven league competing against more competent and mature HCs. As was very evident this season coaching matters and makes a difference where the margin between success and failure is miniscule.

I am an unabashed supporter of Taylor. Have been so since training camp and the preseason. If you gave me the choice of having the combo of Taylor and Rex or instead having a smart and mature HC without TT I would without hesitation prefer the smart and mature HC without TT and continue with the search for a franchise qb.

Just because I have little admiration for this boisterous and obnoxious HC doesn't mean that everything he did was wrong. In my opinion if you ranked RR against the other HCs in the league he would rank near the bottom. You don't go far with a mediocre HC in this parity driven league competing against more competent and mature HCs. As was very evident this season coaching matters and makes a difference where the margin between success and failure is miniscule.

not sure why you quoted me and responded with your overall negative assessment of Rex. I was simply saying he deserves credit for TT being a Bill. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't know, man-- I think coaching was key. We pretty much had the same o-line, with the exception of an upgrade at one guard position. We had pretty good RB's in Spiller and Jackson last year (compared with the hodgepodge of injured guys we used this year).

The reason we were so effective running the ball, in my view, was based primarily on coaching. Roman's run calls were unpredictable, and utilized the strengths of our players. Contrast that with Hackett and Marrone, who had our huge linemen try to zone block, and basically would have 1 or 2 basic running plays.