Coughlin Out as NYG HC; No Eagles or 49ers Job

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Completely agree!! You don't need 71 YO coaches. Coughlin was a very good disciplinarian, he seemed to have had more losing seasons than winning years. The only reason he ever lasted as long as he did was every 5 years or so right about the time he was ready to be fired, he'd get lucky the team would get hot at the right time and win the Super Bowl and that bought him another 3 or 4 years of middle of the road. If the story is true about being forced out, I'd say it's about time.

He'd look great on The Bills sideline in 2017.

As much respect as I have for Tom Coughlin, appointing a 70 year old as Head Coach is not a move a forward thinking, progressive, organisation makes.

@SNFaizalKhamisa

Tom Coughlin walking RIGHT by Giants President and CEO John Mara after his exit presser

ThatRapidFlounder.gif

Interesting.

Pretty evident that he wasn't happy with his departure.

@AroundTheNFL

Completely agree!! You don't need 71 YO coaches. Coughlin was a very good disciplinarian, he seemed to have had more losing seasons than winning years. The only reason he ever lasted as long as he did was every 5 years or so right about the time he was ready to be fired, he'd get lucky the team would get hot at the right time and win the Super Bowl and that bought him another 3 or 4 years of middle of the road. If the story is true about being forced out, I'd say it's about time.

Marv coached The Bills till he was 72.

Luck alone does not win Super Bowls.

Just to clarify, since your post was obviously only from your recollection:

20 years as NFL Head Coach:

10 winning seasons

8 losing seasons

2 seasons of .500

9 Playoff appearances

4 Championship games

2 Superbowl wins (also won a SuperBowl as an assistant coach)

Playoff record 12-7

He only had 1 losing season in his first 9 years with the Giants

and then of course finished with 3 losing seasons (the last three years).

I'm not saying he's the greatest coach around, but there are a lot of coaches and teams who would be happy

with that track record. It was probably time for the Giants to move on, but don't diminish what the guy accomplished.

Just to clarify, since your post was obviously only from your recollection:

20 years as NFL Head Coach:

10 winning seasons

8 losing seasons

2 seasons of .500

9 Playoff appearances

4 Championship games

2 Superbowl wins (also won a SuperBowl as an assistant coach)

Playoff record 12-7

He only had 1 losing season in his first 9 years with the Giants

and then of course finished with 3 losing seasons (the last three years).

I'm not saying he's the greatest coach around, but there are a lot of coaches and teams who would be happy

with that track record. It was probably time for the Giants to move on, but don't diminish what the guy accomplished.

Their personnel was really lacking the last few seasons. For a long time they just kept losing great players all over their defense and on the offensive line, guys like strahan, osi, tuck, diehl, and it kept getting worse. I don't blame coughlin much for what happened there. His staff coached circles around ours this year. Edited by Aaron