2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

i agree that the games with all the marbles attached against the best players and coaches in the country are where CFB players get either exposed or get unveiled. I'll never forget Manti Teo getting run over repeatedly by Eddie Lacy or Jameis Winston throwing the winning TD to Kelvin Benjamin. Elite coaches are game planning against these players, with everything on the line. You can usually tell when the cream rises to the top.

It's one of my concerns about Connor Cook, actually. Zero points in the semifinal. Not even a measely FG. I know, wrong thread.

But Manti Te'o is doing pretty much OK in the NFL.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a 2nd round draft choice, if I recall correctly. I'll take a solid starter in round 2. Sure we want another start in round 2, but that is fairly rare.

i don't think he's a "solid starter"...he's really just ok. My point is not based on where he was drafted which I think illustrates what happened to him and his stock after he played Bama. It was that he was very hyped during the CFB season and was one of the few defensive players to be in the heisman conversation. He was a really good CFB player, but he got exposed when it came to the big stage vs the elite players and coaches. SD traded up for him and I'm sure they regret it. Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't think he's a "solid starter"...he's really just ok. My point is not based on where he was drafted which I think illustrates what happened to him and his stock after he played Bama. It was that he was very hyped during the CFB season and was one of the few defensive players to be in the heisman conversation. He was a really good CFB player, but he got exposed when it came to the big stage vs the elite players and coaches. SD traded up for him and I'm sure they regret it.

I agree with the point that you've made here. He was exposed some in the National Championship and his apparent limitations have shown to be true at the NFL level. Still, he is far better than a lot off 2nd round picks.

@JoeBuscaglia

USC LB/S Su'a Cravens will likely be available for the #Bills in round 2. How well does he fit them? I took a look: https://t.co/VmPxaWR86p

Su'a is one of my favorite players in this draft, and would be great in Rex's D. With the nickel becoming the new base defense- I love the idea on loading up on safetys! I would love to get Su'a in second, and Jeremy Cash in the 3rd! The rest of the draft would be gravy for me

Su'a is one of my favorite players in this draft, and would be great in Rex's D. With the nickel becoming the new base defense- I love the idea on loading up on safetys! I would love to get Su'a in second, and Jeremy Cash in the 3rd! The rest of the draft would be gravy for me

I have to ask who would you take in the first then ?

I'd like him as a Safety that can *sometimes* play LB in sub-packages. I would not be as excited to tab him as a full-time LB. Cravens has said that he prefers Safety.

I do wonder if the Bills might roll the dice on Jaylon Smith at 19. If they think that they can get one of the top 2 or 3 players in this class at 19 with the price being to wait until 2017, I could be on-board with that.

I know that this team needs immediate help at a number of positions, but if the team doctors think he can make a full recovery by 2017, I would at least consider taking him.

Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, Treadwell, Doctson, Chris Smith, Shaq, Conklin, Dodd...preferably after a trade down, depending who slides

Alright Pete , easy big dog !!

Just wanted to make sure your head was screwed on correctly after the Safeties binge posting.

you seem okay enough.

Have a look at De'Vondre Campbell of Minnesota as a possible fit at 3-4 Will:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/eric-murray-vs-iowa-2015/

#26 in the video above --just look for the dude with the dreds

Excellent measurables and a plus athlete, but needs to be coached up as far as run fits and redirecting guys in coverage.

I've noticed that Daniel Jeremiah and I tend to agree on a lot of players this year...

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 22h22 hours ago

Just started studying Minnesota LB DeVondre Campbell. He makes a heck of a 1st impression. Big, fast and physical.

I've noticed that Daniel Jeremiah and I tend to agree on a lot of players this year...

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 22h22 hours ago

Just started studying Minnesota LB DeVondre Campbell. He makes a heck of a 1st impression. Big, fast and physical.

I like his work and he seems like a pretty sharp guy. In general, I like the scouting people from NFL Network. The ESPN people are kind of cartoon characters (Mel, Jaws, Berman, Carter).

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 22h22 hours ago

I do like Jeremiah, I just hope he stays true to himself unlike other pundits. I find that PFF agree with me a lot on players, which is something of a moral conflict at times.

Campbell is one of those guys that I really dislike but still kinda want. He's a pure athlete playing linebacker and little else.

Could be a stud ST player as a backup. Got a little bend to him as a pass rusher too. Wouldn't want him before the 6th though.

I do like Jeremiah, I just hope he stays true to himself unlike other pundits. I find that PFF agree with me a lot on players, which is something of a moral conflict at times.

Campbell is one of those guys that I really dislike but still kinda want. He's a pure athlete playing linebacker and little else.

Could be a stud ST player as a backup. Got a little bend to him as a pass rusher too. Wouldn't want him before the 6th though.

Jeremiah's great...I feel like he'll continue to be himself--he's just got such an every-man persona. I mean, he turned down two GM interviews this offseason because his family and church are too important to him...seems like the genuine article to me.

As to Campbell, that's where I've got him--6th round. Strikes me as the type that needs to learn football for a year--probably an ideal PS guy if you can manage to keep him there.