2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

I've seen a lot of concerns about Ragland in coverage, particularly when you pair him with Preston Brown.

What if we take Ragland to replace Preston? Station him with Zach Brown for 2016. Preston is experienced depth with knowledge of the scheme.

For me, that's how you create depth.

I don't think that you can use your 1st to replace Preston Brown with a similar player. You already have a guy to fill that role. You have to get someone that can either help in coverage vs. Gronk or someone that can rush the passer. I do not think that replacing your run stuffing LB with the 1st round pick is the way to go. You need a complimentary skill set, not a duplicate skill set.

If they are going to go that route, I would just assume draft Billings. He at least offers a skill that isn't on the roster. For me I do not see the value in using a 1st on a run stuffer though. Go get someone that can get after the QB or play in all of your sub packages.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that you can use your 1st to replace Preston Brown with a similar player. You already have a guy to fill that role. You have to get someone that can either help in coverage vs. Gronk or someone that can rush the passer. I do not think that replacing your run stuffing LB with the 1st round pick is the way to go. You need a complimentary skill set, not a duplicate skill set.

If they are going to go that route, I would just assume draft Billings. He at least offers a skill that isn't on the roster. For me I do not see the value in using a 1st on a run stuffer though. Go get someone that can get after the QB or play in all of your sub packages.

The idea, for me, is to get better at every position. Preston was sub-par last year and Ragland represents a significant upgrade in my eyes. We already have the complementary skill set in Zach Brown. Nothing precluding them from taking a shot later on an athletic guy to back him up and eventually replace him.

I find it quite interesting that your counterpoint was Billings. I don't know where he fits in sub packages and I certainly don't think he's a disruptive pass rusher. In a 4-man front, Dareus has the 1-Tech locked up and I wouldn't trust Billings playing 3-Tech.

Edited by Blokestradamus

The idea, for me, is to get better at every position. Preston was sub-par last year and Ragland represents a significant upgrade in my eyes. We already have the complementary skill set in Zach Brown. Nothing precluding them from taking a shot later on an athletic guy to back him up and eventually replace him.

I find it quite interesting that your counterpoint was Billings. I don't know where he fits in sub packages and I certainly don't think he's a disruptive pass rusher. In a 4-man front, Dareus has the 1-Tech locked up and I wouldn't trust Billings playing 3-Tech.

Just to be clear I wasn't advocating for Billings. I was saying if they want someone to play the eary downs and stuff the run I'd rather him. We don't have a true NT on the roster. We already have the run stuffing LB.

I'm not a Ragland guy (at all). I see a limited athlete that flourished behind an elite DL.

Yes, please.

Just to be clear I wasn't advocating for Billings. I was saying if they want someone to play the eary downs and stuff the run I'd rather him. We don't have a true NT on the roster. We already have the run stuffing LB.

I'm not a Ragland guy (at all). I see a limited athlete that flourished behind an elite DL.

I get you now. Comprehension fail on my part.

I certainly agree with you on getting a pass rusher. Noah Spence is my guy for that job, my #5 overall player. Ideally, you strengthen an absolute weakness in the 1st and pass rush is one of those. Same way I'll vouch for Taylor Decker too (with the added bonus of letting Cordy know that we have another LT-capable guy on the roster).

A lot of it depends on how the first 18 picks go. If all of my guys that I think are extreme upgrades are gone, Reggie is top of the list of players I feel comfortable with. Every year I tell the Bills "Just draft me good players", I still think Reggie is one of those. May not be the 'best' pick but it certainly won't be the worst.

We already have a thumper who struggles in space, why would double down with your first round pick and draft another one? Ragland may be marginally better in coverage but that doesn't warrant a first round pick. We have glaring needs on both sides of the ball, no reason to make any lateral moves or settle for side grades.

I don't really get this. He obviously had a great line in front of him, but if you watch the games, you'll see Ragland getting through and around blocks with ease. It's not like he had wide open lanes to attack. He often makes blockers look silly with a smooth sidestep that leaves them grabbing at air. He's great at the stack-and-shed. He has a natural ability to get through traffic that makes it look easy.

I don't really get this. He obviously had a great line in front of him, but if you watch the games, you'll see Ragland getting through and around blocks with ease. It's not like he had wide open lanes to attack. He often makes blockers look silly with a smooth sidestep that leaves them grabbing at air. He's great at the stack-and-shed. He has a natural ability to get through traffic that makes it look easy.

Admittedly I am putting a lot of stock into the National Championship Game. That talent level most closely resembles the NFL. He looked out of place to me. The speed of that game exposed his athleticism IMO. I may be wrong and I've been wrong before. I don't want a guy that is near his ceiling.

Admittedly I am putting a lot of stock into the National Championship Game. That talent level most closely resembles the NFL. He looked out of place to me. The speed of that game exposed his athleticism IMO. I may be wrong and I've been wrong before. I don't want a guy that is near his ceiling.

i agree that the games with all the marbles attached against the best players and coaches in the country are where CFB players get either exposed or get unveiled. I'll never forget Manti Teo getting run over repeatedly by Eddie Lacy or Jameis Winston throwing the winning TD to Kelvin Benjamin. Elite coaches are game planning against these players, with everything on the line. You can usually tell when the cream rises to the top.

It's one of my concerns about Connor Cook, actually. Zero points in the semifinal. Not even a measely FG. I know, wrong thread.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i agree that the games with all the marbles attached against the best players and coaches in the country are where CFB players get either exposed or get unveiled. I'll never forget Manti Teo getting run over repeatedly by Eddie Lacy or Jameis Winston throwing the winning TD to Kelvin Benjamin. Elite coaches are game planning against these players, with everything on the line. You can usually tell when the cream rises to the top.

It's one of my concerns about Connor Cook, actually. Zero points in the semifinal. Not even a measely FG. I know, wrong thread.

That's why I have some interest in Kevin Dodd. He's raw still but has the physical traits. He was dominant in that game.

I don't know. I like going back to watch these games and focus on individual players because I miss a lot of the details the first time. I'd like to point out a couple instances where Watson can't get a pass off because of Ragland's coverage. At 2:10, he's in man coverage against a slot receiver. At 4:15 he's in zone. Ragland doesn't seem out of place at all. If you ask him to cover slot receivers and TEs all game, he'll definitely get burned at times, but I don't see him being asked to do that a lot in Rex's D.

https://youtu.be/SGXhueEly-o?t=2m10s

Against speedy teams that will spread you out, a lot of LBs are going to have some trouble. We have some speed at LB to play that role. Brown and Lawson have no trouble getting to the edges. I think many are underselling Ragland, though. That's fine by me. I wouldn't mind him on the Bills. I think they'll be getting a leader and a 3 down starter from day 1. A lot of great front 7 players to get at 19. I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed by who they pick there.

I don't know. I like going back to watch these games and focus on individual players because I miss a lot of the details the first time. I'd like to point out a couple instances where Watson can't get a pass off because of Ragland's coverage. At 2:10, he's in man coverage against a slot receiver. At 4:15 he's in zone. Ragland doesn't seem out of place at all. If you ask him to cover slot receivers and TEs all game, he'll definitely get burned at times, but I don't see him being asked to do that a lot in Rex's D.

https://youtu.be/SGXhueEly-o?t=2m10s

Against speedy teams that will spread you out, a lot of LBs are going to have some trouble. We have some speed at LB to play that role. Brown and Lawson have no trouble getting to the edges. I think many are underselling Ragland, though. That's fine by me. I wouldn't mind him on the Bills. I think they'll be getting a leader and a 3 down starter from day 1. A lot of great front 7 players to get at 19. I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed by who they pick there.

I just don't see a player that is going to get a lot better. Ragland is Preston Brown 2.0 to me. I would much rather a pass rusher in the 1st . If they are insistent on a LB, I prefer Darron Lee. If Lee is gone and they don't like the pass rushers available I would want Treadwell or Doctson. A trade down is certainly an option too. Ragland just doesn't do it for me.

I just don't see a player that is going to get a lot better. Ragland is Preston Brown 2.0 to me. I would much rather a pass rusher in the 1st . If they are insistent on a LB, I prefer Darron Lee. If Lee is gone and they don't like the pass rushers available I would want Treadwell or Doctson. A trade down is certainly an option too. Ragland just doesn't do it for me.

My thoughts exactly. As far as feasible first round pick disappointments for me, Ragland would be it. Give me a pass rusher, Treadwell or Doctson, Conklin, a CB, a S- most anything and anyone besides Ragland

So what you're really saying is...

...you'd rather have my boy Elandon Roberts?

:lol:

You guys have me sold on Roberts!!

I better not be wrong.

@lancezierlein

Hearing rumblings from folks in the know. Look for Darron Lee to go ahead of Ragland and Doctson has a shot at besting Treadwell

Figured as much with Lee--spoiler alert on Treadwell: I have him as the 3rd WR off the board right now.

@JoeBuscaglia

USC LB/S Su'a Cravens will likely be available for the #Bills in round 2. How well does he fit them? I took a look: https://t.co/VmPxaWR86p

Where do guys feel a fellow like Cravens would fit in the Bills defensive 11 ?

And is 49 the right place for him.

There are quite a few players at safety I like that could be had later, even if they will need to be eased in before earning a starting position.

But i can say that at LB too.

With my limited knowledge of course.

For pick 19 , i really on the edge of my seat this year.

Could come down to BPA depending on the 8 or so picks before Bills. And whether they trade down.

I also am wondering about if both Lee and Ragland might be gone is that a possibility ?

Need to review some more draft mocks 1- 25 or so. If someone can toss up some links i would be grateful. Walter football is one i try to read.