2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myles Jack with a 40" vertical jump at his pro day:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644617/article/nfl-personnel-say-myles-jack-records-40inch-proday-vertical

That's close to what Jalen Ramsey recorded.

Jack is the best player in the draft...I would really have to consider taking him 1st overall if I were Tennessee

Apparently he had a 10'4" broad jump too...

Edited by thebandit27

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644617/article/nfl-personnel-say-myles-jack-records-40inch-proday-vertical

Jack is the best player in the draft...I would really have to consider taking him 1st overall if I were Tennessee

Mortgage the Farm Mildred! We are moving up to the east side!

what a treat this guy is.

If only the Bills tanked..

i think he will go in top 3. If Browns take a QB, Chargers take him IMO.

I'm going to throw out the idea of Eric Striker of Oklahoma as a Rex type of guy.

He played as an edge defender about 50% of the time in Oklahoma's defense, but was more of a Swiss Army Knife than anything else, spending time at ILB, safety, and slot corner as well.

I think he's the kind of player that Rex will coach up to play the Will, but would also get snaps as a pass rusher and nickel defender.

I'm going to throw out the idea of Eric Striker of Oklahoma as a Rex type of guy.

He played as an edge defender about 50% of the time in Oklahoma's defense, but was more of a Swiss Army Knife than anything else, spending time at ILB, safety, and slot corner as well.

I think he's the kind of player that Rex will coach up to play the Will, but would also get snaps as a pass rusher and nickel defender.

why is he rated so low - didn't watch much big 12 this season. I've heard his name of course and know that sooner fans loved him, but never talked about as a top prospect. Is it because he's more scheme specific and a tweener that some teams may not see a clear spot for? Edited by YoloinOhio

I see this as his upside for the Bills as a late round pick.

why is he rated so low - didn't watch much big 12 this season. I've heard his name of course and know that sooner fans loved him, but never talked about as a top prospect. Is it because he's more scheme specific and a tweener that some teams may not see a clear spot for?

Pretty much, when I watch Alexander at OU my eyes constantly go to Striker, who IMO is a much better athlete than Alexander and more instinctive on the field. Issue with Striker IMO aside from his size and fit; playing strength is non-functional and no matter who blocks him, they take him out of the play, he has limited technique rushing the passer right now and if he doesnt win with his first step around the edge, he doesnt win (period, literally), however he is on of the best edge rushers in the draft at running and turning the arc IMO, good hands but no real counter move. Decent cover skills, good CoD skills in the open field and great first step, but a pure space/passing down defender, who's a total liability on run downs, or when contact is initialized by the offensive player. Lacks long speed to play S in deep coverage, and IMO is a Jack or Will who needs a defined role at the LOS or in space in coverage (good against the quick passing game), or in the box as a situational pass rushing LB, he needs big uglies infront of him to keep bodies off him as a run defender. IMO a passing situation "chess" piece, or DPR with coverage upside in the NFL.
Edited by P51

Darron Lee comes to mind.

Fisher: NFL to see more 'hybrid guys'

Speaking at the NFL owners meeting on Wednesday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher touched on Barron, Cardinals "moneybacker" Deone Bucannon and the rise of the hybrid player in modern football.

"(Bucannon) was that type of player coming out, you could tell," Fisher said. "... We're experiencing the same thing in L.A. right now, having re-signed Mark Barron. Same type of player, same responsibilities behind the line of scrimmage, sideline to sideline, matches tight ends, does the same things. An undersized linebacker, an oversized defensive back.

"It appears with the two of them ... there will be more of those hybrid guys that are kind of in between."

Darron Lee comes to mind.

Fisher: NFL to see more 'hybrid guys

Lee is my #7 rated overall player in this draft, which I know is high but most of the analysts I follow have him rated in the top 12. Lee is also my #1 target for the Bills, I think he'd be a great fit given the opportunity, now Rex, Whaley and Co???

Crystal Ball: Lee (who would provide the coverage ability and more needed for Buffalo at LB) will likely be gone by the 17th pick and if not, Atlanta (at 17) is a great natural fit given there scheme and need at WILL, O'Brien Schofield is a nice player, but an upgrade is needed. IMO Buffalo would have to move up to 16 (Detroit) at best to get him and that would cost a 3rd most likely, which I dont think they will do. Sadly I think Lee will not be available when Buffalo picks.

Edit: Atl at 17, Det at 16; thank you elbandido27.

Edited by P51

Lee is my #7 rated overall player in this draft, which I know is high but most of the analysts I follow have him rated in the top 12. Lee is also my #1 target for the Bills, I think he'd be a great fit given the opportunity, now Rex, Whaley and Co???

Crystal Ball: Lee (who would provide the coverage ability and more needed for Buffalo at LB) will likely be gone by the 16th pick and if not, Atlanta (at 16) is a great natural fit given there scheme and need at WILL, O'Brien Schofield is a nice player, but an upgrade is needed. IMO Buffalo would have to move up to 15 at best to get him and that would cost a 3rd most likely, which I dont think they will do. Sadly I think Lee will not be available when Buffalo picks.

I have Lee rated at 13th overall right now, and I do indeed have him going to Atlanta (they pick at 17 though).

Side note: I've had today circled on my calendar for a while now...Houston's pro day. We get to see what kind of numbers my boy Elandon Roberts can put up.

Crystal Ball: Lee (who would provide the coverage ability and more needed for Buffalo at LB) will likely be gone by the 16th pick and if not, Atlanta (at 16) is a great natural fit given there scheme and need at WILL, O'Brien Schofield is a nice player, but an upgrade is needed. IMO Buffalo would have to move up to 15 at best to get him and that would cost a 3rd most likely, which I dont think they will do. Sadly I think Lee will not be available when Buffalo picks.

he is visiting the Falcons today, actually

I have Lee rated at 13th overall right now, and I do indeed have him going to Atlanta (they pick at 17 though).

Side note: I've had today circled on my calendar for a while now...Houston's pro day. We get to see what kind of numbers my boy Elandon Roberts can put up.

Atlanta to me is a perfect marriage of skill set and scheme fit, makes too much sense to me.

Re: Elandon Roberts - I am going to try to watch him vs. FSU in the next couple weeks, saw Navy, the guy certainly plays with intensity, can be a heat seeking missle inbetween the tackles, can also lunge too much and miss, good job getting off blocks and working through the trash, not sold on cover skills, but would be nice mid-late round addition as a ILB and leader IMO. He is moving up my board, it'll be interesting to me to see what comes out of his pro day today.

he is visiting the Falcons today, actually

Lol, shocking!!

Atlanta to me is a perfect marriage of skill set and scheme fit, makes too much sense to me.

Re: Elandon Roberts - I am going to try to watch him vs. FSU in the next couple weeks, saw Navy, the guy certainly plays with intensity, can be a heat seeking missle inbetween the tackles, can also lunge too much and miss, good job getting off blocks and working through the trash, not sold on cover skills, but would be nice mid-late round addition as a ILB and leader IMO. He is moving up my board, it'll be interesting to me to see what comes out of his pro day today.

Lol, shocking!!

He said he wants to hit 30 strength lifts and run in the mid 4.5's, though I'm really more interested in his shuttle times and 3-cone.

He said he wants to hit 30 strength lifts and run in the mid 4.5's, though I'm really more interested in his shuttle times and 3-cone.

The shuttle and cone times would certainly help make a case for potential coverage wise and stock overall if they are good. Ill be interesting to see his 40 time as well actually, I wasnt sold on him side line to side line, especially into the field side line from I have seen. No questions regarding heart and intangibles, coaches seem to love him from what I have read.

The shuttle and cone times would certainly help make a case for potential coverage wise and stock overall if they are good. Ill be interesting to see his 40 time as well actually, I wasnt sold on him side line to side line, especially into the field side line from I have seen. No questions regarding heart and intangibles, coaches seem to love him from what I have read.

Indeed--clearly the only knock on him could be size/speed stuff...his motor, strength, and leadership are unquestioned.

Matt Miller @nfldraftscout 2h2 hours ago

#Houston LB Elandon Roberts Pro Day results: 5-11 234 Bench - 25 Vertical - 37 40 - 4.51/4.49 Broad -9'9/10.0

Outstanding...just as I hoped

The Bills were represented there today.

@AaronWilson_NFL

Elandon Roberts ran 4.53 'The feedback I got was great from the scouts.'

Elandon Roberts 'when I didn't get invited to the combine, it put a chip on my shoulder'

Elandon Roberts 'the team that drafts me is getting a steal. I'm the best linebacker in the draft'

Elandon Roberts said his first tackle was his dad when he was five years old

Bandit, What do you think of Cravens? I'd really like to see us pick him up in the 2nd-4th. As much as I'd like to get Lee it's looking less and less likely he'll be available at 19. I think he may be a stud as a hybrid olb/ss

Love Cravens as a Will in a 3-4...in fact I think that's probably his best fit in the pros.

He's got enough size and speed to match against TEs, and his ball skills seem to be getting better. He acquits himself nicely in the run game for a guy that doesn't crest 220 lbs.

I think 49 is a great spot to pick him if you're the Bills, but I also think that the rise of players like Mark Barron, Kwon Alexander, and Deone Bucannon will probably push him into the 30-40 range.

The Bills were represented there today.

@AaronWilson_NFL

Indeed...they also spoke with him at the Collegiate Bowl back in January.

Really hope there's some interest there.

Bandit, What do you think of Cravens? I'd really like to see us pick him up in the 2nd-4th. As much as I'd like to get Lee it's looking less and less likely he'll be available at 19. I think he may be a stud as a hybrid olb/ss

I watch a lot of USC (but not a ton of other college ball for the past two years, so my view is pretty narrow) and have loved Cravens for the past couple seasons. He's a competitor, fierce hitter and LOVES to play. I'd welcome him on the Bills roster in the 2nd or 3rd -- though I doubt he makes it out of the 2nd round.

I watch a lot of USC (but not a ton of other college ball for the past two years, so my view is pretty narrow) and have loved Cravens for the past couple seasons. He's a competitor, fierce hitter and LOVES to play. I'd welcome him on the Bills roster in the 2nd or 3rd -- though I doubt he makes it out of the 2nd round.

To be honest I hadn't hard too much about him until recently but the more I watch him the more I want him on the Bills.

Love Cravens as a Will in a 3-4...in fact I think that's probably his best fit in the pros.

He's got enough size and speed to match against TEs, and his ball skills seem to be getting better. He acquits himself nicely in the run game for a guy that doesn't crest 220 lbs.

I think 49 is a great spot to pick him if you're the Bills, but I also think that the rise of players like Mark Barron, Kwon Alexander, and Deone Bucannon will probably push him into the 30-40 range.

Indeed...they also spoke with him at the Collegiate Bowl back in January.

Really hope there's some interest there.

Carolina wants Su'a. I would love a trade down and Su'a. If somehow we could land both Vernon Butler and Su'a- that would be great for our D!