2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

@LedyardNFLDraft

2k words Cardale's strength/weaknesses and why I think @CJ12_ could become draft's best QB: http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/03/23/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ohio-state-qb-cardale-jones/

CePn1e6WAAA0d42.jpg

@WGR550

WGR 550 Retweeted Jon Ledyard

Jon joins us in about 10 minutes! Check out his thoughts on Cardale Jones. A potential QB target for the Bills.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some want to blame his OL and while it wasn't good, there were times that it gave him protection. And he still couldn't make the play. He's tough to watch.

battered QB syndrome, getting itchy feet when guys aren't there

If Paxton Lynch is there at 19, I take him, not to play in 2016-17 but to work with David Lee on drops and reads.

If you say we can't neglect the DL talent in this draft, I fully agree.

The latest DraftTek draft shows that very scenario.

The Bills get Lynch, Floyd, then ==>

http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp

Lynch has the talent, whether he learns the pro game is the question.

Paxton Lynch is going to be drafted somewhere mid-first round. Why not by Buffalo, instead of one of those fat boys that end up eating themselves out of football? You can still get one of them later on...they're a dime a dozen. We need an impact QB. Lynch just looks like the best one in this crop and might be available at 19. Another EJ? Probably. But worth the shot until you get one who carries a team.

Paxton Lynch is going to be drafted somewhere mid-first round. Why not by Buffalo, instead of one of those fat boys that end up eating themselves out of football? You can still get one of them later on...they're a dime a dozen. We need an impact QB. Lynch just looks like the best one in this crop and might be available at 19. Another EJ? Probably. But worth the shot until you get one who carries a team.

Give me Conner Cook before Lynch as seems like guys who emerge out of no where (like Lynch) usually ended up busting more then guys that tend to be highly sought of before the draft. As Cook might be another Andy Dalton which isn't a bad thing.

That's what everyone said about Flutie and Warren Moon and Russell Wilson.

He's only 1 inch shorter than Drew Brees. Can that really be a deal breaker? A smart OC would get him out of the pocket and design passing lanes for him.

All these guys are flyers this year. Why draft a guy like Hogan who might be a decent backup someday?. If going for a flyer, take the guy who may be magic. He was at Eastern Washington and Oregon.

Moon and Flutie never did anything in the NFL playoffs and both took time to develop their craft in the CFL which isn't a reality in today's NFL, Wilson was winning in the playoffs when he had a healthy Lynch and o-line and Drew Brees is the exception not the rule. Sorry I prefer a QB to be 6'2" or taller but prefer 6'4"

Edited by The Jokeman

Give me Conner Cook before Lynch as seems like guys who emerge out of no where (like Lynch) usually ended up busting more then guys that tend to be highly sought of before the draft. As Cook might be another Andy Dalton which isn't a bad thing.

I have a higher grade on Cook than Lynch (again I should preface that with "I am no Bandit" when it comes to this stuff) but for me they are both second round talents. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see both in the 1st round on draft night and indeed I have mocked them both there.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Ohio State QB Cardale Jones will visit Bills before draft...

@ChrisTrapasso

Watched all Cardale's 2015 passes. Cooled on him a bit. Some "early starter" mistakes. Still think he's similar to Wentz & only 11 starts in

Relative to his lack of exp, Cardale's way ahead of curve re: full-field reading. Has stretches of awesome ball placement. Then not so much.

@ChrisTrapasso

Watched all Cardale's 2015 passes. Cooled on him a bit. Some "early starter" mistakes. Still think he's similar to Wentz & only 11 starts in

Relative to his lack of exp, Cardale's way ahead of curve re: full-field reading. Has stretches of awesome ball placement. Then not so much.

Watching all of Cardale Jones' passes wouldn't take very long.

I know that he is tantalizingly physically talented, but there really is not much game film to watch. I think it would be really hard to take someone with so little experience before the 4th round.

Watching all of Cardale Jones' passes wouldn't take very long.

I know that he is tantalizingly physically talented, but there really is not much game film to watch. I think it would be really hard to take someone with so little experience before the 4th round.

Both you and I know that QBs are very often overdrafted based on potential and that's likely to also happen with Jones. He'll be gone as early as the 2nd round.

Both you and I know that QBs are very often overdrafted based on potential and that's likely to also happen with Jones. He'll be gone as early as the 2nd round.

I am just saying that I wouldn't take him before the 4th. I agree that some team may very well think that they can teach him to be a good NFL QB.

QB is harder to learn than any other position by a significant margin. My view is that it is very difficult to learn to play QB in the NFL - especially if you don't even have much experience at the college level. I would stay away from him.

Benjamin Allbright ‏ @ AllbrightNFL 23m 23 minutes ago

Not exactly popular opinion on Twitter to right now, but I'll stake my rep on Wentz being the best QB from this class. Cardale might be #2

Here are his QB rankings:

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL Feb 27

QB Spreadsheet will remain pinned for duration of draft season. My work 2008-2016: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_-SienfT3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/edit?usp=sharing

That spreadsheet goes back for a number of years. Interesting opinions from a guy who still does his own work and doesn't just parrot the prevailing opinion. (And, yes, Tyrod is on there from the 2011 draft.)

I've been of the unpopular opinion that any struggles Cardale has had haven't necessarily been of the mental ability to learn the offense or read defenses. They've been from limited game experience, being in a scheme poorly suited for him, and one which didn't ask him to read defenses. Hes a project for sure, but one with a great deal of upside

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd be alright with Cardale coming to Buffalo. He faced two significant challenges that limited his opportunities at Ohio State: (1) immaturity early in his college career (most famously, "the tweet"), and (2) last year his offensive coordinator was on the sideline coaching the o-line instead of focusing on making the offense go. I have no concerns about his maturity; it has been an absolute pleasure to watch that confident and hilarious young man grow up. The second part... I just don't know. Seems to me that when put in a good situation with proper coaching and talent around him he can do amazing things like we saw at the end of 2014.

Edit: I should add that the second round is too high in my view -- after EJ I'm hesitant to spend another high draft pick on another project with big potential upside.

Edited by Willyville Guy

I can see Jones lasting until the 4th. I am ok with the Bills taking a shot there or even trading up into the back of the 3rd to take a shot. It is a huge projection of what he is and could be but at that kind of spot I like the risk / reward ratio.

I've been of the unpopular opinion that any struggles Cardale has had haven't necessarily been of the mental ability to learn the offense or read defenses. They've been from limited game experience, being in a scheme poorly suited for him, and one which didn't ask him to read defenses. Hes a project for sure, but one with a great deal of upside

That sums it up, they weren't going to change the offense for Cardale last season and they wasted a year of his development. He would have been in the same boat last year if not better in regards to the draft ...hopefully a team like Buffalo is the beneficiary of OSU's self serving agenda.

I can see Jones lasting until the 4th. I am ok with the Bills taking a shot there or even trading up into the back of the 3rd to take a shot. It is a huge projection of what he is and could be but at that kind of spot I like the risk / reward ratio.

i agree - prefer 4th or later (for him or hogan or Prescott or any of them in that tier) but if they really like him and use a 3rd rounder I won't complain. QBs always get a bump due to positional value. Edited by YoloinOhio