2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

I would fire a GM for taking a shot on a QB that is as flawed as Prescott with a 2nd round pick, provided that it ended as poorly as I think it will.

And yeah, I hated the Kouandjio pick. Never liked him as a player, but he was on a lot of boards in the top-50, so that's far less egregious to me.

What about taking a QB as flawed as EJ in round 1?

Btw, I don't care that other teams supposedly had CK high on their boards too. It's the gm's job to get it right. And of course no one can really prove where other teams had him slotted. As I recall, plenty of teams had him on their DND list due to medical issues.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, I don't care that other teams supposedly had CK high on their boards too. It's the gm's job to get it right. And of course no one can really prove where other teams had him slotted. As I recall, plenty of teams had him on their DND list due to medical issues.

That GM was so embarrassed that he stepped down right after.

Not the same thing

EJ at least showed an NFL QB's skill set in college. Prescott has looked more like a fullback playing out of position IMO.

Also, timing had a lot to do with the EJ pick. The team didn't have anything resembling a potential franchise QB, so they took a shot.

To do the same thing with an early pick this year is fine, but it should be used on a guy that shows an NFL skill set; to me, that's not Prescott.

As to Kouandjio, you're right--we can't KNOW for sure. I mean, I have a few friends that scout for NFL teams, but that doesn't mean that their grades are the final word on the guy.

The point is more directed at the player in question, which is Prescott. I think he's a day 3 guy at best (I had Kouandjio as a guy that had value in round 3 or later FWIW), and I would be extremely disappointed in my GM if he were picked earlier than that.

Not the same thing

EJ at least showed an NFL QB's skill set in college. Prescott has looked more like a fullback playing out of position IMO.

Also, timing had a lot to do with the EJ pick. The team didn't have anything resembling a potential franchise QB, so they took a shot.

To do the same thing with an early pick this year is fine, but it should be used on a guy that shows an NFL skill set; to me, that's not Prescott.

As to Kouandjio, you're right--we can't KNOW for sure. I mean, I have a few friends that scout for NFL teams, but that doesn't mean that their grades are the final word on the guy.

The point is more directed at the player in question, which is Prescott. I think he's a day 3 guy at best (I had Kouandjio as a guy that had value in round 3 or later FWIW), and I would be extremely disappointed in my GM if he were picked earlier than that.

To be honest, I don't have much of an opinion on Prescott (would much rather roll the dice with Cardale, FWIW), but I deninitely want to see this team take a shot at a QB in this draft, even if it means over drafting someone by a round or two. People act like high picks at other positions are guaranteed starters and it's just not true. It's all a game of chance, but it's possible to tilt the odds in your favor.

To be honest, I don't have much of an opinion on Prescott (would much rather roll the dice with Cardale, FWIW), but I deninitely want to see this team take a shot at a QB in this draft, even if it means over drafting someone by a round or two. People act like high picks at other positions are guaranteed starters and it's just not true. It's all a game of chance, but it's possible to tilt the odds in your favor.

I absolutely expect the team to take a shot at a QB this year, and frankly I'll be annoyed if they don't.

I would prefer to see them go after a guy like Doughty (or maybe Brandon Allen), who I think has a shot to be the type that will get drafted in round 5, sit for two years, and potentially compete for a starting job.

I absolutely expect the team to take a shot at a QB this year, and frankly I'll be annoyed if they don't.

I would prefer to see them go after a guy like Doughty (or maybe Brandon Allen), who I think has a shot to be the type that will get drafted in round 5, sit for two years, and potentially compete for a starting job.

Well, let's face it: Nothing about Whaley's record suggests that he knows how to scout, evaluate or prioritize QBs, or offensive linemen, for that matter. That's my biggest criticism of him.

Well, let's face it: Nothing about Whaley's record suggests that he knows how to scout, evaluate or prioritize QBs, or offensive linemen, for that matter. That's my biggest criticism of him.

I can't say that I agree regarding prioritizing QB or OL.

If we're giving him credit for EJ, then the only argument that makes sense is that he over-prioritized the position by reaching (which you yourself have said in this very thread). They also spent FA money on Kolb and Taylor, and traded a draft pick for Cassel.

Same argument for OL. Since Whaley took over as full-time GM, they've spent their 2nd pick in each draft on an offensive lineman. Now, you can criticize who they chose to pick (I liked Miller and still do, I wasn't a Koundjio guy as I've mentioned), but blasting him for not prioritizing the positions is misguided IMO.

You could say that about 90% of the teams in the NFL.

People need to stop acting like there is some science to drafting Qbs. It's a crapshoot. Looking back, EJ was a guy you draft for his tools and let him learn from a vet for a few seasons. The same could said of the majority of Qbs in every draft.

Paxton Lynch should be the call at 19. Probably the most talented QB in the draft and Walter Football has him going to the Jets at 20, while we pick another WR. I'd lose what's left of my mind if that happened.

Funny...I'll lose my mind if we pick Lynch.

I don't like him at all.

Funny...I'll lose my mind if we pick Lynch.

I don't like him at all.

Why not? Strongest arm, 6'7". Bright. What's not to like. I'll admit I have only seen him at the Combine, so maybe there are reasons for not liking him. But he is going to be picked in the first round by somebody, so I say, way not the Bills?

Why not? Strongest arm, 6'7". Bright. What's not to like. I'll admit I have only seen him at the Combine, so maybe there are reasons for not liking him. But he is going to be picked in the first round by somebody, so I say, way not the Bills?

I'd prefer the 1st round pick goes to a player who can be an immediate contributor to the team than a shot at a player who won't see the field this year and is likely to never develop into a quality starter,especially in a year where offensive talent coming out is lackluster. I'm also not convinced he will go in the first round.

I'd prefer the 1st round pick goes to a player who can be an immediate contributor to the team than a shot at a player who won't see the field this year and is likely to never develop into a quality starter,especially in a year where offensive talent coming out is lackluster. I'm also not convinced he will go in the first round.

I take your point about wanting a player who contributes this year, considering how long it has been since the team amounted to anything. But I still think we need a franchise QB and the sooner we get one the better. Maybe it's not Lynch, but he seems the best bet at 19.

I take your point about wanting a player who contributes this year, considering how long it has been since the team amounted to anything. But I still think we need a franchise QB and the sooner we get one the better. Maybe it's not Lynch, but he seems the best bet at 19.

I mean at the end of the day it's personal preference. I'm much more comfortable with the late day 2-mid day 3 guys this year than I am the top 4. I'd appreciate a shot at Cardale, Allen, or Doughty in the round 3-5 range

Has anyone actually watched Brandon Allen play? I've probably caught 6-7 games of him, and he held Arkansas back quite a bit.

Nothing resembling a pro QB IMO. His little brother looked better backing him up.

Unless a 1st round Wentz somehow drops to us or Connor Cook falls to our 2nd round pick, I'd feel great with Cardale or Doughty anytime after the 2nd round.

Dak Prescott looks like a FB but I think he has much more arm talent then Tebow. Prescott can make some throws, he could be Roman's Kaep but maybe with a higher ceiling. Round 4 at the highest, and really think Buffalo is a landing spot for him.

The Bills have to get some insurance in case Tyrod regresses or levels off.

Has anyone actually watched Brandon Allen play? I've probably caught 6-7 games of him, and he held Arkansas back quite a bit.

Nothing resembling a pro QB IMO. His little brother looked better backing him up.

Unless a 1st round Wentz somehow drops to us or Connor Cook falls to our 2nd round pick, I'd feel great with Cardale or Doughty anytime after the 2nd round.

Dak Prescott looks like a FB but I think he has much more arm talent then Tebow. Prescott can make some throws, he could be Roman's Kaep but maybe with a higher ceiling. Round 4 at the highest, and really think Buffalo is a landing spot for him.

The Bills have to get some insurance in case Tyrod regresses or levels off.

Actually, I watched 3-4 games of Allen, and I think he's got a draftable grade for sure.

I'd take him over Prescott.

I hadn't considered much of him until Dan Jeremiah mentioned that he was grading out well in film review.

Here's a link to my write-up on Lynch (easier than repeating it here):

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/184219-2016-draft-qb-thread/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3837487

Actually, I watched 3-4 games of Allen, and I think he's got a draftable grade for sure.

I'd take him over Prescott.

I hadn't considered much of him until Dan Jeremiah mentioned that he was grading out well in film review.

Here's a link to my write-up on Lynch (easier than repeating it here):

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/184219-2016-draft-qb-thread/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3837487

Thanks for the link. If that game is typical of their offense, then Lynch has been coached up as a west coast QB. Everything designed for short throws, three-step drops. I don't think a play was called for anything downfield or anything other than one receiver. If that is because Lynch can't read the field, then I don't want him. If it's because their OC didn't think his OL could hold up against Temple, then Lynch did his job and actually looked good moving out of the pocket occasionally. So, you really need to talk to his OC to get an answer.

I would prefer to see them go after a guy like Doughty

I don't know much about this guy but he really stunk it up in the NFLPA College All Star Game. Yet when they put Vernon Adams Jr. In, the offense rolled AND scored points due to Vernon's play. This was not the only time other QBs on his team couldn't produce, yet he did heavily IN THE SAME GAME.

Not scientific I know, but if we want a later around project, Vernon's my guy.

I mean at the end of the day it's personal preference. I'm much more comfortable with the late day 2-mid day 3 guys this year than I am the top 4. I'd appreciate a shot at Cardale, Allen, or Doughty in the round 3-5 range

those guys hardly, if ever pan out. Taking a QB in that range is just doing so because. Take a QB at the top if you need one**, its that simple IMO.

**Of course there has to be one available that you like at that range.