Looks like we'll have to draft a WR #2

Taking a look at the free agent WR class of 2016, it's pretty clear to me that there aren't many realistic options for onebillsdrive. Buffalo, needing to spend money elsewhere, won't be financially able to acquire a true, top option. As much as I'd love to rake in Alshon Jeffery, it won't happen. Take a look for yourself. Do you see many, if any, of these guys as an improvement over woods that is worth the money?

I think Buffalo will need to draft one. Most likely in the 2nd round. Given the state of our salary cap and impending needs, and the current offensive scheme, I don't think Buffalo will be an appealing option to any of these guys.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

I don't know the college game well enough to state any particular player, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the bills go for our #2 receiver early in the upcoming draft.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Robert Woods can be a solid #2. I don't know what happened to him this year besides not having chemistry with Taylor.

10000% unfounded speculation:

Was he a steroid-crazed madman who went off the juice this year?

IMO, he offers no value in YAC, is not dominating defenders to make catches, often seems to fall and slip. Props for his blocking ability though.

IMO, he offers no value in YAC, is not dominating defenders to make catches, often seems to fall and slip. Props for his blocking ability though.

I agree, but that was not my impression last year and before. However after looking up some stats like YAC for the last few years, maybe I was just optimistic and responding to enthusiasm and streaks of great catches.

I think Robert Woods can be a solid #2. I don't know what happened to him this year besides not having chemistry with Taylor.

IMO he is just too limited athletically. Outside of Clay and Watkins the Bills don't have anyone that wins off the line of scrimmage. That is a big part of the reason that we didn't see more quick hitters. Those guys don't have the quickness to win in the first few steps. It is like the anti-Edelman. The Bills need another legit threat at WR and can bump everyone down a slot. It really hurt them when Harvin got hurt because he was capable of getting open.

In addition, the Bills can't afford to have Watkins blanketed at all times. The other day there was (at least) one play that he was triple covered. I wasn't paying attention the entire time but it was insane. WR will be a high priority and will be addressed in either the first couple of rounds of the draft (I love Treadwell if available) or in FA (the Cincy guys are often mentioned). This is another place that I could see the Bills making a trade as well (maybe they try to acquire someone like Vincent Jackson). Those are just a few thoughts.

Sanu - should come rather cheap

Aiken - hands type of WR who can catch, would be coming back to Buffalo

Marvin Jones - not a huge type, similar to Robert Woods

Rueben Randle - I'd avoid him but he's not bad. Giants WR's always go on to fail.

Alshon Jeffrey - I believe he could succeed in another system but he's been the primary target in Chicago with injuries to Forte and Bennett

Travis Benjamin - wildcard.

Bretton Bersin - Has been rather consistent in Carolina and shown ability to play.

Another solid TE to complement Clay might be more valuable in Roman's offense. Vernon Davis could be relatively cheap short term option.

Dwayne Allen and Zach Miller have shown strong promise of being a #2.
Ben Watson is now in New Orleans; shown a bit of rebirth with Brees.

I do not know if Taylor has chemistry with anyone fully, yet. I see him getting better with time, if we can afford him that. It took him a while to get rolling with SW.

I would think he develops better timing with Clay, Woods and others next year.

Edited by Boyst62

IMO he is just too limited athletically. Outside of Clay and Watkins the Bills don't have anyone that wins off the line of scrimmage. That is a big part of the reason that we didn't see more quick hitters. Those guys don't have the quickness to win in the first few steps. It is like the anti-Edelman. The Bills need another legit threat at WR and can bump everyone down a slot. It really hurt them when Harvin got hurt because he was capable of getting open.

In addition, the Bills can't afford to have Watkins blanketed at all times. The other day there was (at least) one play that he was triple covered. I wasn't paying attention the entire time but it was insane. WR will be a high priority and will be addressed in either the first couple of rounds of the draft (I love Treadwell if available) or in FA (the Cincy guys are often mentioned). This is another place that I could see the Bills making a trade as well (maybe they try to acquire someone like Vincent Jackson). Those are just a few thoughts.

Mo Sanu would be interesting but I just don't see him (or any other WR ) wanting to come to a team that throws the ball in the way we do. On the flip side, Sanu is often used in wildcat formations and designed runs. I'd much rather see him than EJ Edited by AlwaysBilleve

Mo Sanu would be interesting but I just don't see him (or any other WR ) wanting to come to a team that throws the ball in the way we do. On the flip side, Sanu is often used in wildcat formations and designed runs. I'd much rather see him than EJ

I think Sanu would be a good FA get, but I think he would really like Roman's scheme as it would maximize his versatile skill set. The guy is a more than capable #2 WR (IMO), but also can line up all over the field for screens/designed runs as you stated. Hell, he can even throw the ball every once in a while. Good blocker too. Roman would love him.

We don't need to draft another WR unless you think they can block better than Woods - that's what Rex/Roman had Woods doing all year this year.

We need one that can get open so that our star WR isn't double (and tripled) on big passing plays. A #2 WR is a big need on this team. It isn't as much about their receiving numbers as it is the way that teams have to defend the Bills.

No he was not a steroid head. he is just one of the many Bills players who were not micro managed day to day or week to week by Rex and coaching staff. Not being micro managed led to his focus falling off from where it was the last two years. Quite common across other players on this roster, I might add, and its due to how lax the coaching staff is.

We don't need to draft another WR unless you think they can block better than Woods - that's what Rex/Roman had Woods doing all year this year.

So you're okay with Watkins being double covered every game with no other receiver to ease the coverage? Blocking aside.

Ya they definitely need help at WR. I think the bills will go linebacker in the 1st and maybe safety in the 2nd though. But they need to address the WR position somewhere in the draft

Drafting a WR after the second round isn't the best formula for finding someone better than woods. IMO, it'd have to be first or second

We need one that can get open so that our star WR isn't double (and tripled) on big passing plays. A #2 WR is a big need on this team. It isn't as much about their receiving numbers as it is the way that teams have to defend the Bills.

Yep exactly.

His name escapes me but if the tall kid drafted this year that was just brought up from the practice squad has learned anything this year & can make a jump he could be the legit #2 TALL WR !

The Bills have been looking for that guy ever since they drafted the tall guy out of Indiana (was it James Harding ?) a few years ago .

Well quite a few years ago now ... :huh:

And Woods isn't as bad as some fans think they just need to include him more n the plan .

Edited by T master

Drafting a WR after the second round isn't the best formula for finding someone better than woods. IMO, it'd have to be first or second

Agreed but I think the Bills have bigger needs than a 2nd WR. Their linebackers have to be the worst in football and Rex is a defensive coach who will definitely want to address that

Edited by billsfan11