McKelvin willing to play Safety & take pay cut

Mark Vader

Sal mentioned On wgr yesterday that while he seems like an obvious cap casualty, he's been very versatile playing different positions as needed and brings it on every play, and the type of player Rex values. So he wasn't so sure he'd be cut.

That's fair. If his new contract fits his ability to contribute, then I'd be happy to keep him. No more return duties though.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how quickly folks forget his play of last year it seems.

He is a very good technician .

My worry is he has lost some speed and or explosiveness to the ball after the injury.

He said this is the first year he has not needed offseason surgery in years and years. so..

we shall see.

He will be challenged this week for sure.

I expect a spectacular INT from him. seriously.

3rd and 12, your right. I've thought this year, this is not the same guy as last year who had a banner year. If he really wants to be a safety and take the pay cut, he would need to maintain or improve his speed to last year which is doable, but he'll need to gain a minimum of 20 lbs. of muscle. He can do that as I believe they still don't test for HGH.

The key is gaining 20 lbs of muscle in one off season like Cornelius Bennett and maintain his speed. That was impressive even if he was roided up the wazoo.

3rd and 12, your right. I've thought this year, this is not the same guy as last year who had a banner year. If he really wants to be a safety and take the pay cut, he would need to maintain or improve his speed to last year which is doable, but he'll need to gain a minimum of 20 lbs. of muscle. He can do that as I believe they still don't test for HGH.

The key is gaining 20 lbs of muscle in one off season like Cornelius Bennett and maintain his speed. That was impressive even if he was roided up the wazoo.

That's about right. SInce he's come back I've been reminded on several occasions the Leodis doesn't exactly seek out contact ... he's matadored a number of big RBs/receivers right past him this year. Our big need at safety is a tackler/run stopper, not a pure coverage guy.

That's about right. SInce he's come back I've been reminded on several occasions the Leodis doesn't exactly seek out contact ... he's matadored a number of big RBs/receivers right past him this year. Our big need at safety is a tackler/run stopper, not a pure coverage guy.

keep in mind he was playing corner again when Gilmore went down.

I have always found Leo to be a proficient tackler and lets not forget the forced fumble for a turnover last week from his sweet hit.

Agree about the Bills need at safety. But a guy that can play both positions CB/ S decently is surely an asset