Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

You're point is very clear and has definite merit. The only thing that I'd add to the argument is that Harvin became so critical to our offense that when he left we were reeling. I'd argue he was too good. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him but I'd prefer Sammy be the focal point and the other WR's playing roles.

Thats an interesting take and there is a middle ground to be achieved. We need someone that can make plays and take pressure off of Sammy but not somone that takes his targets. Pittsburgh has figured it out maybe we can too.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if we do not move on and keep him but do not depend on him?

what cost would he really be? $1mm? $2mm? For a 4th WR, which he would be for us hopefully, at the right price he'd be a helluva lot move valuable than another joe blow.

He is already getting $2M from Billls in pro-rated signing bonus for 2016-17; in order to tear up that contract and get another he will want another signing bonus and that is a very bad risk.

You are never going to be guaranteed a certain amount of games with anyone. It is the risk / reward that you have to weigh. I am always taking the difference maker with question marks over the plugger with a clean resume. I will sacrifice the delta between the plugger and the street FA for the upside of the delta between the plugger and the difference maker.

Just a matter of if you get harvin super cheap to limit the risk and the opportunity cost of money spent elsewhere.

I don't see how anyone could say they hate it on a cheap deal.

Thats an interesting take and there is a middle ground to be achieved. We need someone that can make plays and take pressure off of Sammy but not somone that takes his targets. Pittsburgh has figured it out maybe we can too.

The obvious answer is you plan like he won't be there and every snap he takes is a bonus. You still get the mid round pick or sanu. You chalk him up as replacing your #6 not your #2 and literally everything you get is a gain- if he's cheap. That's still the big if, cause I won't pretend to know what he will see come his way.... But it's the hypothetical proposed here Edited by NoSaint

Just a matter of if you get harvin super cheap to limit the risk and the opportunity cost of money spent elsewhere.

The obvious answer is you plan like he won't be there and every snap he takes is a bonus. You still get the mid round pick or sanu. You chalk him up as replacing your #6 not your #2 and literally everything you get is a gain- if he's cheap. That's still the big if, cause I won't pretend to know what he will see come his way.... But it's the hypothetical proposed here

This all makes sense to me. I'd pay him like a big time receiver - IF he plays like a big time receiver. Time for an "earn it" contract in this case.

This all makes sense to me. I'd pay him like a big time receiver - IF he plays like a big time receiver. Time for an "earn it" contract in this case.

and this whole dialogue could be mute, for all we know Harvin has checked out.

" where is Percy "

The obvious answer is you plan like he won't be there and every snap he takes is a bonus. You still get the mid round pick or sanu. You chalk him up as replacing your #6 not your #2 and literally everything you get is a gain- if he's cheap. That's still the big if, cause I won't pretend to know what he will see come his way.... But it's the hypothetical proposed here

Here's another angle. In 2015 he missed the last 12 games - 2014 the last game - 2013 the last 5 games (although returned for the super bowl) - 2012 the last 3 games. If you have any hopes of making the playoffs there's a good chance Percy won't be there at the end for you. Again, the risk to me is getting dependent on him then he leaves so you're right back to having to work in other guys anyway. I'd rather start the year off working the other guys in.

Edited by Triple Threat

Here's another angle. In 2015 he missed the last 12 games - 2014 the last game - 2013 the last 5 games (although returned for the super bowl) - 2012 the last 3 games. If you have any hopes of making the playoffs there's a good chance Percy won't be there at the end for you. Again, the risk to me is getting dependent on him then he leaves so you're right back to having to work in other guys anyway. I'd rather start the year off working the other guys in.

I get what you are trying to say but it will always read in my head as "let's avoid a great player cause we will be stealing reps from a crappy player who could be slightly less crappy if we let him get enough playing time and we will be more used to playing with less talent"

It's not fair, but it always reads that way.

Not a chance. Maybe 1 million or less. But with the cap situation the Bills need to go cheap if they bring Harvin back. No one in the league is going to touch this guy with his poor team player behavior. He just doesnt get it and really never has. There is one coach who would, Belichick.

We absolutely have to move on. For the simple fact that he was being depended on within our offense and he's not reliable. You can't put yourself in a position to have a guy be important and then not be there. It's just not worth it even though his skills when healthy are very very good.

your right. We should move on from Kyle and Aaron Williams too 😳

Whaley just said on wgr they want to have Harvin back. But he will need to be fully healthy first.

Good. Although that is a given. No team is going to give him a healthy contract. He's also a player who has made a lot of money already for not playing, although players think the exact opposite of fans when it comes to that. Hopefully after surgery he will be able to run at close to 100%. Roman is not going to build his offense around him so no one has to worry.