Tyrod is the #1 FA pickup of 2015 per ESPN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year? I'd argue that he was ripped off by McCoy when he renegotiated his contract and that while I'm happy that McCoy and Clay are on the team, that he paid too much for Clay as well. It's hard to argue that Clay was worth $7.6 mill per year this year, the 4th highest TE contract. Bringing in Harvin was a mistake and a very expensive one. We have yet to see how the McCoy trade looks down the road, but our linebackers are being criticized for not being athletic and fast enough, and that's exactly Alonso's strength, so that might (or might not, we'll see) turn out to be a bad move down the road.

This.

I like what he's done with the roster overall. He clearly deserves another year. But he also has a lot to prove. And should stop overspending, in picks and in money, for guys he falls in love with.

As a GM he is evaluated as much on who he chose not to pay/keep. The list of those he let go and went on to have low productivity:

Andy Levitre (this is about the decision to not pay him 8mill/yr, not about his replacement)

Jairus Byrd

Kelvin Sheppard

Stevie Johnson

Scott Chandler

CJ Spiller

Kiko Alonso

Fred Jackson (good leader, low production)

As a GM he is evaluated as much on who he chose not to pay/keep. The list of those he let go and went on to have low productivity:

Andy Levitre (this is about the decision to not pay him 8mill/yr, not about his replacement)

Jairus Byrd

Kelvin Sheppard

Stevie Johnson

Scott Chandler

CJ Spiller

Kiko Alonso

Fred Jackson (good leader, low production)

So the fact that he offered contracts to both Byrd and Spiller means nothing? He tried to sign both of these guys.

Pretending it didn't happen is one thing. But pretending these were players that he chose to let go is a bit much, no? ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

TT was a great value UFA signing. that said he might not be the long term answer at QB. Nothing wrong with the Bills trying to improve the position this offseason as long as doesn't hurt us in other position that also need shoring up like offensive line, TE depth, WR, LB and DE.

Bills fans are so stupid. Look back over the past 16 seasons, 20 if you want to go back Kelly, but let's face it, Flutie was able to get it done. Even counting Drew Bledsoe great one season which QB has been better than TT? Maybe one of Fitz season had better overall numbers, maybe not, but what people seem to forget is that this was basically the first season TT actually played. He's going to get better. TT does what you want a QB to do. He isn't captain checkdown. He can move around, make plays with his feet and he's wiling to take his shot down the field.

Now let's be completely honest. He often takes shots down the field at the wrong time. It's 3rd and 4, I don't want a 45 yard down field throw, I want a 6 yard gain and first down. He's isn't as accurate as you would love but his accuracy is better than other recent QB. The season was really s rewed up when he got hurt and EJ had to take over. You instantly saw the difference between good and bad QB play. In a 5 minute span, EJ single handed managed to blow the Bills season up. I'd extend TT now, give him a bridge deal, 3 years 30M, 21M guaranteed and if he improves I'd be willing to rip that deal next off season.

So the fact that he offered contracts to both Byrd and Spiller means nothing? He tried to sign both of these guys.

Pretending it didn't happen is one thing. But pretending these were players that he chose to let go is a bit much, no? ;)

the contracts he offered were lower than the value the players had on themselves, because he didn't value them as high. He even said that about both of them publically. Doing so he knew they wouldn't take the offer and in fact withdrew CJ's offer when they traded for McCoy.

Lasting lesson: Matching a quarterback's skills to an offensive scheme increases the likelihood for success

This is sooooo important....putting round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes...........and, I agree Taylor is that QB who fits the scheme they are using. Of course, if Rex recognized that in TT, why doesn't he understand the same concept on the D? Rex put square pegs in round holes and it didn't work. The reason Rex did that is he is a "one trick pony"...he only knows his D....and NEVER would have considered keeping Schwartz around. Rex believed his own press clipings, but his D reputation is now exposed.

At least Clay was not on the worst list....he hasn't had a great year, but he looks the tight end to have having seen him at the games. They just haven't used him as much as I thought they might.

Bills fans are so stupid. Look back over the past 16 seasons, 20 if you want to go back Kelly, but let's face it, Flutie was able to get it done. Even counting Drew Bledsoe great one season which QB has been better than TT? Maybe one of Fitz season had better overall numbers, maybe not, but what people seem to forget is that this was basically the first season TT actually played. He's going to get better. TT does what you want a QB to do. He isn't captain checkdown. He can move around, make plays with his feet and he's wiling to take his shot down the field.

Now let's be completely honest. He often takes shots down the field at the wrong time. It's 3rd and 4, I don't want a 45 yard down field throw, I want a 6 yard gain and first down. He's isn't as accurate as you would love but his accuracy is better than other recent QB. The season was really s rewed up when he got hurt and EJ had to take over. You instantly saw the difference between good and bad QB play. In a 5 minute span, EJ single handed managed to blow the Bills season up. I'd extend TT now, give him a bridge deal, 3 years 30M, 21M guaranteed and if he improves I'd be willing to rip that deal next off season.

If we get a 2nd reciever that does not drop the ball he will look a lot more accurate

A lot of people forget that....there are a lot of balls that have not been caught this year that have hit players right in the hands

This year? I'd argue that he was ripped off by McCoy when he renegotiated his contract and that while I'm happy that McCoy and Clay are on the team, that he paid too much for Clay as well. It's hard to argue that Clay was worth $7.6 mill per year this year, the 4th highest TE contract. Bringing in Harvin was a mistake and a very expensive one. We have yet to see how the McCoy trade looks down the road, but our linebackers are being criticized for not being athletic and fast enough, and that's exactly Alonso's strength, so that might (or might not, we'll see) turn out to be a bad move down the road.

This.

I like what he's done with the roster overall. He clearly deserves another year. But he also has a lot to prove. And should stop overspending, in picks and in money, for guys he falls in love with.

you do understand we had to structure clays contract so the dolphins couldn't match, right? Before anyone hits me with we didn't throw it too him enough. We throw the ball something like 20 times a game. Everyone is not gonna get their targets and will look worse Stat wise

Regarding dropped passes making Tyrod look less accurate... I was curious to see what percentage of his passes are dropped compared to other QBs... Googling gave me:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/dropped-passes-by-quarterback/2015/

I can't verify their accuracy compared to any other stat site though, so I suppose take it with some sort of salt.

you do understand we had to structure clays contract so the dolphins couldn't match, right? Before anyone hits me with we didn't throw it too him enough. We throw the ball something like 20 times a game. Everyone is not gonna get their targets and will look worse Stat wise

Clay is our top receiver when you look at usage rate, and he's a competent blocker, and runs well after the catch. I don't understand why anyone would be upset by signing Clay. He's a major improvement over what we've had in the past.

Regarding dropped passes making Tyrod look less accurate... I was curious to see what percentage of his passes are dropped compared to other QBs... Googling gave me:

I can't verify their accuracy compared to any other stat site though, so I suppose take it with some sort of salt.

Tyrod's receivers drop percentage was right around league average or lower last time I checked.

Clay is our top receiver when you look at usage rate, and he's a competent blocker, and runs well after the catch. I don't understand why anyone would be upset by signing Clay. He's a major improvement over what we've had in the past.

Polian's comments on Clay appear to be kind of flippant and lack real intelligence into why and how he was signed.

Polian's comments on Clay appear to be kind of flippant and lack real intelligence into why and how he was signed.

At this point in his career Polian is fine at pointing out the obviously wrong............the problem is that he no longer has any answers to make things better.

That's not new.......he's been out of touch on how the league is changing for well over a decade.

People forget that this is the guy that traded Marshall Faulk for a second round pick so he could use his #2 overall on Edgerrin James.

Faulk rang up 26 TD's and was league MVP the following season. :doh:

Indy probably constructs a dynasty if he gets fired immediately after the Manning selection.

Winning only one SB with Peyton Manning is worse that not winning any with the Bills.

Taylor might be the next Mad Bomber like Daryle Lamonica

That's a good comparison.

For many years it was nearly impossible to play that Raiders style of football and succeed........but in todays NFL the defenses are at a decided disadvantage and that has re-opened the opportunity.

That style of football is far more entertaining that the horizontal game we endured under Gailey and a myriad of other OC's.