Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

You know who else comes with that package deal? Doug Marrone.

That's what allegedly has been communicated to the Titans.

I personally wouldn't purchase that package of people but the overall "concept" is a good one. The key is finding a combination that has "modern" talent, not talent from yesteryear if you go this route.

Enough with the "old" school talent. Polian. Wolf. Holmgren. Policy. Savage. No. It didn't work with Marv, either.

It's a young man's game.

That's right... I forgot that St. Doug part... lol

I'm convinced that St. Doug quit here when Polian decided not to come. If Polian had come here Whaley would be gone and St. Doug would have someone who he considers a mentor above him, and would have a LOT more power/influence.

When it didn't work he had to quit, especially since his contract had a golden parachute.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He isnt making money on the actual gas as a commodity. He made his money recently by selling off most of his land that has the gas reserves.

So another point to keep in mind, Pegula has largely sold out of his income generator. He needs to make that $4billion last the rest of his life. Better start pinching pennies soon! :lol::thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure he still has other land and active wells, etc.

He isnt making money on the actual gas as a commodity. He made his money recently by selling off most of his land that has the gas reserves.

So another point to keep in mind, Pegula has largely sold out of his income generator. He needs to make that $4billion last the rest of his life. Better start pinching pennies soon! :lol::thumbsup:

He sold 76,000 acres...he's got additional lands in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Colorado. He's sitting on plenty of assets.

Indeed.

You know who else comes with that package deal? Doug Marrone.

That's what allegedly has been communicated to the Titans.

I personally wouldn't purchase that package of people but the overall "concept" is a good one. The key is finding a combination that has "modern" talent, not talent from yesteryear if you go this route.

Enough with the "old" school talent. Polian. Wolf. Holmgren. Policy. Savage. No. It didn't work with Marv, either.

It's a young man's game.

I agree with your whole post, but I'm not sure how much modern success correlates with new or old talent. Wade Phillips is still great, Chip Kelly still sucks.

Question for everyone....

If it took Whaley getting let go in order for Rex to be let go, would you be ok with that?

CBF

no. I think Whaley is a solid GM, and Rex is a clown. It is unfortunate that Rex might cost us Mario and Whaley

I agree with this. Whaley has assembled a better roster than we have had previously.

I question a lot of rexs decisions this year but I don't know if changing coaches again is the right answer either.

Ugghh we are stuck in purgatory

yes change coaches,,,hes an idiot....idiots never get smarter, and his record will end up being a likeable 500 from now on...or worse. Rex will never be looked up to again. his peak was the day snachez beat the pats in a playoff game....7 years ago

If it took Whaley getting let go in order for Rex to be let go, would you be ok with that?

CBF

Nope. Whaley has a good system in place, which isn't surprising because he came from a winning organization.

Keep bringing those types of guys in.

He sold 76,000 acres...he's got additional lands in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Colorado. He's sitting on plenty of assets.

Indeed.

Yes, thats why I wrote "most of his land". Not all of it. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

Yes, thats why I wrote "most of his land". Not all of it. :thumbsup:

That was not most of his land.

In the press release that announced the sale, he indicated that he still has more than 250,000 acres of land under ERI:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/08/06/pegula-company-wraps-1-75b-property-sale.html

So he's got more than 3x as much land as what he sold for $1.75B 16 months ago.

I never understood the czar hysteria. Each team should have one, isn't that the point of the GM. If you as team owner find yourself incompetent of making te right football decisions for your franchise, hire a president to preside over it all. Either way the answer is to step aside and let the football people do football things. If they fail find a new one, hire a consultant with whome you trust to find a new GM and get out of the way again. Having a guy act as the pen optic for the GM, ony says we don't have the right GM. If they start over ruling said GM in the draft, FA, and re-signings, aren't they then just the GM?

It comes back to, for Terry, the Ted Black role. What was his job? Why have him? I always hated Terry's quote saying something like "Ted isn't the only one in the room with a hockey iq" (paraphrasing). He's got to do a better job of letting the sports people do their sports thing.

A Csar only muddies the waters, and becomes a sounding board for outside (owner) influence.

I've never understood what "Czar" meant, but if it means some sort of advisor to the owner - I agree with you.

Functionally, the Pegulas are filling the CEO role now with Brandon, as president; Whaley, as GM; and Ryan, as coach, all reporting to them. Different teams do things different ways, one way is to have a football-knowledgeable president to whom the GM and coach both report; another way is to have the GM report to the president or owner and have the coach report to the GM.

You are exactly right, if Pegula doesn't feel comfortable overseeing that unholy triumverate, he should hire a football guy president he can trust with the role and have the coach and GM report to him. If you can't trust your football guys to make football decisions, you need different football guys.

If the offense doesn't pass a whole lot, why overpay for a pass catcher? Seems sorta stupid.

I'm not intelligent, says the guy who takes potshots and runs from every thread. I'll take it into consideration, don't worry.

You pay money for big parts of your offense. Clay is a big part of our offense. Outside of McCoy, he's probably our highest use offensive player. He's also a good blocker, and can run well after the catch. Both things Chandler struggled with.

As far as 'running from every thread', I do have responsibilities and interests outside of TBD, even with my fairly high post count. But I will be running away again, have a happy holidays and all that jazz. :beer:

Oh, hard one. It really depends on the scenario - and do they get rid of Brandon too?

If they kick Brandon all the way over to the Sabres, and hire a new football-knowledgeable President who gets to pick his GM and coach (or pick his GM and the GM picks the coach), I'm OK

If they give Whaley and Rex the ax and keep Brandon around - or worse yet give him the power to choose the GM and coach....I think it's change to keep things the same

You pay money for big parts of your offense. Clay is a big part of our offense. Outside of McCoy, he's probably our highest use offensive player. He's also a good blocker, and can run well after the catch. Both things Chandler struggled with.

As far as 'running from every thread', I do have responsibilities and interests outside of TBD, even with my fairly high post count. But I will be running away again, have a happy holidays and all that jazz. :beer:

Yeah, I got that on a different thread too. This is a message board, folks, not life (for most of us). I post when I have time and the fancy takes me. If I post/opine or start threads and then vanish, it's because I have elderly parents, kids, work and home responsibilities - lots of stuff that can pull me away sometimes with minimal notice.

That was not most of his land.

In the press release that announced the sale, he indicated that he still has more than 250,000 acres of land under ERI:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2014/08/06/pegula-company-wraps-1-75b-property-sale.html

So he's got more than 3x as much land as what he sold for $1.75B 16 months ago.

Well good for him! :nana:

Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

Peyton Manning in an Elway type role, Chris Polian as assistant GM and Bill Polian as Grand Poobah/Czar

If #18 decided to hang em up after this season.

OMG no

What on earth makes you feel Chris Polian is qualified to be a good assistant GM or that Polian is still interested/energetic/connected enough to the modern game to be GM?