Twitter rumors about Bills new structure, fate of Rex/Whaley

YoloinOhio

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both have Franchise QBs, excellent coaching staffs who have been together for several seasons, and very good defenses. Three very important factors where the Bills simply do not measure up.

Well....except....isn't Seattle missing their DC, who left for a HC gig? And don't some people question Wilson's status as an "elite" or "franchise" QB?

And then, since we had a top 5 D with very much the same personnel last year, doesn't it beg the question "why don't the Bills measure up?" on Defense?

I read this 3-4/4-3 think over and over on here. However I remember Rex telling us he doesn't run a certain offense. Not a 3-4 or a 4-3 or and Umbrella D or a Flex D or whatever. He runs what's best for the players he has. That's what he said.

Yes. Yes, it is. It's exactly what Rex said, repeatedly, to the media and the smart money betting is it's exactly what he said to "sell himself" to the Pegulas, Brandon, and Whaley (who was reportedly very anxious that the D not be disrupted)

The reason this team never gets anywhere is because they blow it up every 2-3 years. Now, after 1 season with a new HC and D-system they're going to blow EVERYTHING up again?

It takes time, let them build the defense the way Rex wants it, I'm OK with giving them another couple of years to fill in the pieces. Blowing it up is the wrong move IMO, they're not that far away.

BIll Belichick was 5-11 with NE his first year as their HC, what if they blew it up? They won the Super Bowl the second year.

No! Continuity for the sake of continuity is madness. Rex isn't good enough to coach in this League! If we keep Rex we will continue to be bad!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Rex is not a good head coach period and it's clear that the game has passed him by. No amount of shuffling players and trying to get players that fit his scheme will change that. Might as well cut your losses now becuase they is no way the Bills win more that 6 games next season with Rex Ryan next season

Agreed!!

There will ALWAYS be injuries and every other team seems to get by just fine when it happens. The depth here sucks and that goes to Whaley specifically.

Yep - look at other teams who have elite QBs. They still work every year to make sure their backup is ready to fill in. In the past 5 years, the Packers, Broncos, Patriots, etc. have all been to the playoffs despite their QB1 being injured for a couple games during the season. And somehow we are holding onto EJ with the hope that he becomes our franchise guy. He handed us two losses early in the season that quite frankly may have cost us playoffs. If we beat the Jags we would have played the Chiefs, Eagles, and Skins with a lot more heart knowing we were in the hunt.

There will ALWAYS be injuries and every other team seems to get by just fine when it happens. The depth here sucks and that goes to Whaley specifically.

All of a sudden, the depth sucks. We come up with new excuses every year.

The depth didn't suck last year. We had the most talented roster we've had since the 90s. The new coaches fail and all of a sudden our depth sucks.

I never understood the czar hysteria. Each team should have one, isn't that the point of the GM. If you as team owner find yourself incompetent of making te right football decisions for your franchise, hire a president to preside over it all. Either way the answer is to step aside and let the football people do football things. If they fail find a new one, hire a consultant with whome you trust to find a new GM and get out of the way again. Having a guy act as the pen optic for the GM, ony says we don't have the right GM. If they start over ruling said GM in the draft, FA, and re-signings, aren't they then just the GM?

It comes back to, for Terry, the Ted Black role. What was his job? Why have him? I always hated Terry's quote saying something like "Ted isn't the only one in the room with a hockey iq" (paraphrasing). He's got to do a better job of letting the sports people do their sports thing.

A Csar only muddies the waters, and becomes a sounding board for outside (owner) influence.

Agreed!

You mean going with 2 QB's when one is the mobile type exposing him to injury more than most or going ground and pound and dumping 2 backups.

The Pegula's are incredible wealthy. This is not even equal to a car accident for most people. This is Rex's remain salary $22.5 (original deal was 27.5 for 5 years). Divide that by the Pegula's $3.8bn and you get 0.59%. Yes, a lot of money, but a small drop in the bucket for the Pegs. If they want to make this change, they will. I'm not saying that they ARE, but I am saying money isn't really a problem.

Are you sure that is still Pegula's net worth? I know he's not poor, but with the price of oil at an 11-year low, he must have taken quite a beating over the last 6-9 months.

Peyton Manning in an Elway type role, Chris Polian as assistant GM and Bill Polian as Grand Poobah/Czar

If #18 decided to hang em up after this season.

After Peyton's football playing career is over he will have far better job options than trying to extinguish a dumpster fire.

Are you sure that is still Pegula's net worth? I know he's not poor, but with the price of oil at an 11-year low, he must have taken quite a beating over the last 6-9 months.

Except Terry's money isn't from oil, it's natural gas. And besides, he cashed out some of his holdings of shale lands a while ago.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but is the price of oil tied that directly to natural gas?

Somewhat. NG prices are down a little over 50% since 2014.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but is the price of oil tied that directly to natural gas?

Not sure how closely they are linked, but natural gas prices hit a 17-year low last week, so even worse than oil. Again, the guy is still rich, but it's reasonable to assume that his net worth is significantly lower than when he bought the team. Edited by mannc

What I posted about Manning and the Polians is a huge rumor in Tennesee, where it makes more sense, but mostly for Manning moreso than the Polians.

It's known that Peyton wants an Elway type GM/front office role when his playing days are up.

Polian has a connection to Buffalo, and almost came last year. Who knows?

I'm not saying Polian and co. coming here is a good idea but there are only so many Grand Poobah types out there to be "Football Czar."

Peyton Manning in an Elway type role, Chris Polian as assistant GM and Bill Polian as Grand Poobah/Czar

If #18 decided to hang em up after this season.

You know who else comes with that package deal? Doug Marrone.

That's what allegedly has been communicated to the Titans.

I personally wouldn't purchase that package of people but the overall "concept" is a good one. The key is finding a combination that has "modern" talent, not talent from yesteryear if you go this route.

Enough with the "old" school talent. Polian. Wolf. Holmgren. Policy. Savage. No. It didn't work with Marv, either.

It's a young man's game.

He isnt making money on the actual gas as a commodity. He made his money recently by selling off most of his land that has the gas reserves.

So another point to keep in mind, Pegula has largely sold out of his income generator. He needs to make that $4billion last the rest of his life. Better start pinching pennies soon! :lol::thumbsup:

He isnt making money on the actual gas as a commodity. He made his money recently by selling off most of his land that has the gas reserves.

So another point to keep in mind, Pegula has largely sold out of his income generator. He needs to make that $4billion last the rest of his life. Better start pinching pennies soon! :lol::thumbsup:

If that's the case, then he sold at the right time.