New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

24 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

They've already pulled Mark Twain and To Kill a Mockingbird in the Minneapolis school district

Not that it matters, because the whole ordeal is intellectually repugnant, but all of Twain’s works or just Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn?

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Not that it matters, because the whole ordeal is intellectually repugnant, but all of Twain’s works or just Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn?

This happened a couple of years ago and I believe those books were required readings as part of the English curriculum.  None of Twain's other works were and all of these books are available to read in their school libraries.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This happened a couple of years ago and I believe those books were required readings as part of the English curriculum.  None of Twain's other works were and all of these books are available to read in their school libraries.

Teaching Huck Finn would be a challenge. It’s not just a great book, it’s open for all kinds of interpretation and it’s so full of racism, but much of it is a child rising above that racism to see the light. I actually just read it and was thinking about how a teacher would present it. Huck’s fathers racist rant is pretty hard core stuff, but that’s how it was. I could see a non skillful teacher making mistakes, lol. 

12 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

They've already pulled Mark Twain and To Kill a Mockingbird in the Minneapolis school district

that’s dumb.  But in fairness, those books have unfortunately been getting pulled from school districts for decades.  

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Teaching Huck Finn would be a challenge. It’s not just a great book, it’s open for all kinds of interpretation and it’s so full of racism, but much of it is a child rising above that racism to see the light. I actually just read it and was thinking about how a teacher would present it. Huck’s fathers racist rant is pretty hard core stuff, but that’s how it was. I could see a non skillful teacher making mistakes, lol. 

it was taught fine to me in middle school.  It is a tough book, that’s the point though 

Edited by Crayola64

BRYAN PRESTON: Do We Still Hold These Truths to Be Self-Evident?

Taking the words of the Declaration together with the preamble to Constitution and Douglass rightly saw the ideas that would inevitably end slavery, as long as the republic endured long enough to see it. In 1852, as now, this was not ironclad. So, to the free man, the Fourth of July represented his guarantee. To those still enslaved, the Fourth of July represented hope of freedom to come. Frederick Douglass’ experience led him to see this more clearly than anyone else of his age and probably anyone since or now.

The storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake Douglass spoke of came, in the form of a destructive civil war. America paid in blood and treasure as it never had before, and slavery was ended. Douglass lived through it as one of abolitionism’s most ardent, eloquent, passionate, and heard spokesman. He had risen from slavery to become a friend of presidents, as a citizen, though not yet in full. Few have the power of oration without experience, and Douglass had experienced it all. He had lived under unjust law. He had broken that law. And he also respected and served the higher law, the Constitution, which he respected as a means of reaching understanding and offering hope. He was a true American on July 4, 1852, more true than many others.

On July 4, 2020, people as yet unknown damaged and toppled the statue of Frederick Douglass in Rochester that marks his moment and his speech. The damage was so extensive that it will probably have to be replaced.

Read the whole thing.

"End police violence!" "YES!"

"Black Lives Matter!" "YES!"

"Take confederate names off military bases!" "YES!"

"And take down their statues!" "YES!"

"And Washington & Jefferson's!" "YE- well um..."

"and Lincoln & Grant!" "waitwhut"

"and Frederick Douglass!" "yeah Imma head out"

23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"End police violence!" "YES!"

"Black Lives Matter!" "YES!"

"Take confederate names off military bases!" "YES!"