The MMQB: Is Tyrod Taylor "The Guy"?

26CornerBlitz

2 minute offensive has been terrible. The 2nd half of almost every game has been terrible. Time management in general is bad, much of the play calling has been drive killers. Use of TO awful. Clearly TT needs to step it up, its a massive learning process as a rookie starter. I am a HUGE fan of his. I just felt Rex was diverting on TT instead of addressing the core problems of this team which is prep and mental discipline.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor made?

I'm in on the kid and expect significant improvement next year.

Well I can guarantee you he won't make that same mistake of throwing into coverage on 3rd and medium instead of tucking it and running for the 1st down like he did twice against Philly with huge amounts of empty green space in front of him.

I also think the film will show a drastic need for short MIDDLE OF THE FIELD plays where someone in the slot or a TE runs out to the 1st down marker, turns back toward the qb and gets the throw while shielding the defender behind him from making a play. These bread and butter plays make qb's like Brady great. Simple, possession type throws that only take 1.5 seconds to execute and move the chains.

No thinking, no risk of INT, no second read, just bang bang. Get your 4 yards and move the freaking chains. Roman needs to work on this with TT all off season.

For a guy with 0 career starts coming into the year, he has been great. I believe that he will develop into a very good QB. He's basically a rookie on the field. Do we want to start over again with a rookie next year? I don't.

Can this statement just be pinned already...this statement times 10000000!

This was the kids first year, he's 5th in the league in passing, 5th in the league in YPA, completing 64% of his passes, has a marvelous TD to turnover margin, and is major playmaker with his legs. I mean seriously, what more could you ask for from the first 11 starts of a QB's career? Is he going to be perfect...nope. Will he need to continue to grow and develop...Yes. Does every QB go through the same process...Yes, 100% of all QBs to ever play in the NFL were never at their peak form their first year as a starter.

Not to mention, he lost ALL his RBs this year at some point, ALL his WRs have been often hurt or out for the year, his entire right side of the OL destroyed by injuries, played hurt himself almost the whole season, and even had his TE banged up multiple times. Adding on top of that he was learning a new system that whole team was also learning. Further adding to it, he was the #3 QB in the offseason and got less than a third of the reps he would have gotten as an undisputed starter which slowed his learning of the system and building of timing with his receivers.

How anyone can be disappointed in him and not believe he deserves to be the guy next year is beyond me. People always point out our rank as a team in passing the league because its their way to cherry pick. Our passing rank is solely based on yards per game, and we are a run first team and also have a running QB who does damage not calculated into those totals. So its pointless in evaluating on what he accomplishes when he does throw.

This kid, who I was very skeptical over in the offseason, totally came out and proved the doubters wrong, myself included. And he has earned my respect as he plays with heart, guts, through pain, and has nothing but an upward pointing arrow in my book. He has plenty of work to do, but he's earned the time to do it.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Couple of the batted ones were screens... i know.. i was surprised too! screen passes?! crazy!!

he needs to work on seeing passing lanes on the crossing routes and maybe getting that ball out quicker on the short stuff.

Time will tell.

but the process is in place to see how far he is able to go. albiet baby steps

imo

No 300 yard passing games. When he throws for under 200 yards they win. His numbers are good. Seemed to have a lot of balls batted down last week. He's 0-4 when down by a td in the last two minutes. I think he needs to get better to be the long-term answer. He deserves to be starter next year. Team still needs a viable back-up whether that's drafting a guy early or signing someone.

reasonable enough.

Can this statement just be pinned already...this statement times 10000000!

This was the kids first year, he's 5th in the league in passing, 5th in the league in YPA, completing 64% of his passes, has a marvelous TD to turnover margin, and is major playmaker with his legs. I mean seriously, what more could you ask for from the first 11 starts of a QB's career? Is he going to be perfect...nope. Will he need to continue to grow and develop...Yes. Does every QB go through the same process...Yes, 100% of all QBs to ever play in the NFL were never at their peak form their first year as a starter.

Not to mention, he lost ALL his RBs this year at some point, ALL his WRs have been often hurt or out for the year, his entire right side of the OL destroyed by injuries, played hurt himself almost the whole season, and even had his TE banged up multiple times. Adding on top of that he was learning a new system that whole team was also learning. Further adding to it, he was the #3 QB in the offseason and got less than a third of the reps he would have gotten as an undisputed starter which slowed his learning of the system and building of timing with his receivers.

How anyone can be disappointed in him and not believe he deserves to be the guy next year is beyond me. People always point out our rank as a team in passing the league because its their way to cherry pick. Our passing rank is solely based on yards per game, and we are a run first team and also have a running QB who does damage not calculated into those totals. So its pointless in evaluating on what he accomplishes when he does throw.

This kid, who I was very skeptical over in the offseason, totally came out and proved the doubters wrong, myself included. And he has earned my respect as he plays with heart, guts, through pain, and has nothing but an upward pointing arrow in my book. He has plenty of work to do, but he's earned the time to do it.

so you think he is coming along then?

so you think he is coming along then?

Yes, I very much think this kid is coming along and has earned the opportunity to continue developing next year. All young QBs have plenty to work on to continue to develop, and he's no exception. But the kid has shown guts, heart, and poise while also putting up some pretty impressive performances. Think about this for a second...if the refs don't blow even one of the TDs they stole from him in the Giants game, or even Hughes doesn't blow that tackle...we win. That alone puts us at 7-6. Now, given EJs struggles and how both his games were winnable, its not unreasonable to think there is a good probability we could have won those 2 games EJ started. That puts us at 9-4. Is anyone questioning this kid as our starter next year had we been 9-4 right now?

And what this kid has done this year has been without consistent weapons due to injury, no time in the preseason to gel with them, playing hurt all year, all his RB's get hurt, a struggling OL with its right side wiped out by injuries...and all the while learning a brand new system that the rest offense is also learning.

I want to see what this kid can do with a full offseason to work on his timing with the core, a year under his belt as a starter and in the offense, and him at full health with all his guys back.

Yes, I very much think this kid is coming along and has earned the opportunity to continue developing next year. All young QBs have plenty to work on to continue to develop, and he's no exception. But the kid has shown guts, heart, and poise while also putting up some pretty impressive performances. Think about this for a second...if the refs don't blow even one of the TDs they stole from him in the Giants game, or even Hughes doesn't blow that tackle...we win. That alone puts us at 7-6. Now, given EJs struggles and how both his games were winnable, its not unreasonable to think there is a good probability we could have won those 2 games EJ started. That puts us at 9-4. Is anyone questioning this kid as our starter next year had we been 9-4 right now?

And what this kid has done this year has been without consistent weapons due to injury, no time in the preseason to gel with them, playing hurt all year, all his RB's get hurt, a struggling OL with its right side wiped out by injuries...and all the while learning a brand new system that the rest offense is also learning.

I want to see what this kid can do with a full offseason to work on his timing with the core, a year under his belt as a starter and in the offense, and him at full health with all his guys back.

I agree with you almost 100%.

getting an offseason in , everyone in the building knowing he is the starter should really focus the offense.

He has overcome one heck of a series of challenges and still looks the part,

We have been talking about leaders. I expect him to grow into that role very nicely by the team rolls out next year !

Folks can find faults, but they are all explainable. And i think all can be overcome in time.

I admit, he surprised the hell out of me this year.

Go Bills!

Man, I tell you. After they all but eliminated themselves Sunday everything is no longer exciting. (not that it had been for weeks)

Bills seem content ...... Should that term even be used. Content. :unsure:

The wording in the article is unfortunate

The bills have found a good quarterback who has the work ethic to get even better.........do people realize just HOW HARD it is to even find that in the NFL?

Another QB is needed though.....but Tyrod has earned the right to the be the starter going into next year and we need to see if a training camp where he is not splitting reps with 3 qbs in a qb competition continues to improve him.

The wording in the article is unfortunate

The bills have found a good quarterback who has the work ethic to get even better.........do people realize just HOW HARD it is to even find that in the NFL?

Another QB is needed though.....but Tyrod has earned the right to the be the starter going into next year and we need to see if a training camp where he is not splitting reps with 3 qbs in a qb competition continues to improve him.

I have no issue with going forward with Tyrod. I hope he can improve in the few area's he needs to improve on.

FWIW, in the NFL you should never stop looking for your next Franchise QB.

Sounds like he was pushing him to get even better, to me. The opposite is coddling and satisfaction with a potential GW drive that ended with a turnover, right?

correct IMO- part of a coach's job is to continually demand more from the players than they demand of themselves. He has delivered praise where deserved ...and challenged him when deserved. Edited by YoloinOhio

lets be real, from what any of us were expecting, Tyrod has been phenomenal..truly outstanding. no one could have predicted this type of performance from him. he's developed good chemistry with out best WR. he does have a few kinks he can still work on - as in trusting the short/intermediate route a little more than he does. but that can be coached in my opinion. it's not that he can't throw the short ball or intermediate route, it's that he prefers to go deep...I'm excited to have him. and of course we could use another QB - no news there. Tyrod isn't a big guy and the way he plays he can definitely get injured again. We already saw this year what EJ can do as a backup (the Jax game). We need another QB in here, but I'm really happy with Tyrod. Add more talent to the OL.

I agree with you almost 100%.

getting an offseason in , everyone in the building knowing he is the starter should really focus the offense.

He has overcome one heck of a series of challenges and still looks the part,

We have been talking about leaders. I expect him to grow into that role very nicely by the team rolls out next year !

Folks can find faults, but they are all explainable. And i think all can be overcome in time.

I admit, he surprised the hell out of me this year.

Go Bills!

Yeah, he won me over as I really didn't expect him to be a serious contender to win the job, let alone be this effective. And then to do all this while playing through so many challenges as a first year starter, playing through injuries, showing guts and heart on the field...he's really proved to a lot of people wrong, and that includes myself big time.

Yeah, he won me over as I really didn't expect him to be a serious contender to win the job, let alone be this effective. And then to do all this while playing through so many challenges as a first year starter, playing through injuries, showing guts and heart on the field...he's really proved to a lot of people wrong, and that includes myself big time.

I am guilty of not taking him seriously as well. Not that I didn't think he was good - I just didn't know much about him. I remember creating a poll around the time of OTAs or right before TC, and it asked how many wins everyone expected with Matt Cassel, and then how many with EJ. I didn't even include Taylor. This is why smart coaching and pro scouting matter.