POLL: Fire Rex and/or Whaley?

dtgolder

Should we fire Rex and Whaley?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pegulas release Rex and/or Whaley?

• Fire Rex now; keep Whaley
    • Fire Whaley now; keep Rex
    • Fire both Rex and Whaley
    • Keep both Rex and Whaley

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes because I know that Rex wont ever get us to the playoffs and especially not win if he ever lucks into getting us there. SB? Give me a dang break.

I know Rex will NEVER get us to the promised land, so why should we waste the next 4 seasons LOSING. I'd rather go out and try to WIN NOW.

Jeepers everyone knew he was a bad hire. THats incredibly clear now. Get rid of him and move on. Act like this season never happened. Don't throw away 2-4 seasons because you cant own up to your mistake.

Seriously. Go out and hire the OC from Seattle. That guy is a good coach. His offense would work great with our players. Bring back Schwarts. he will give us a top 5 defense again. Come on its not too hard.

Exactly! We all know how this is going to end. Rex won't produce, the Bills will continue to lose, and he'll be fired (eventually). The only question is how long we will all have to suffer before it happens.

Isn't it better to just come to a decision now based on his track record and what we can all see is happening in Buffalo?

Everyone is afraid of being Cleveland...

I say if the Bills dump Rex and hire a better coaching staff we would get kudos from the league and players--they'd see that things are different in Buffalo, and at the Pegulas are not "business as usual"--they want to win.

Keeping Rex sends the opposite message to the league--that we are just happy with mediocrity, and this is not a winning franchise.

If you were a top free agent, wanting to get to the SuperBowl, which team would you rather play for?

Exactly! We all know how this is going to end. Rex won't produce, the Bills will continue to lose, and he'll be fired (eventually). The only question is how long we will all have to suffer before it happens.

Isn't it better to just come to a decision now based on his track record and what we can all see is happening in Buffalo?

Everyone is afraid of being Cleveland...

I say if the Bills dump Rex and hire a better coaching staff we would get kudos from the league and players--they'd see that things are different in Buffalo, and at the Pegulas are not "business as usual"--they want to win.

Keeping Rex sends the opposite message to the league--that we are just happy with mediocrity, and this is not a winning franchise.

If you were a top free agent, wanting to get to the SuperBowl, which team would you rather play for?

Not that I'd be against firing Rex, but I think you're stretching it.

Firing a coach after a year won't change your image. Just shows that you're still a mess.

It will depend on who you bring in.

This will never happen but if we did fire Rex would it be a buy out? Would he not be able to coach the next 4 years?

I think the direction of the team is obvious after season 1. Dont let it get worse.

Build the bully? Punt from their 36?

Edited by billsfanmd07

Not that I'd be against firing Rex, but I think you're stretching it.

Firing a coach after a year won't change your image. Just shows that you're still a mess.

It will depend on who you bring in.

Which is why this only makes sense if they go the czar route and bring in "respected names"....

For all the people crying about scheme changes from last year, you now want to make more scheme changes for next year?!

:wallbash:

My thinking is this: Two previous defensive coordinators proved that the current roster of defensive players is good enough to have tremendous success on defense. This year the performance was not as good because Rex refused to adjust his scheme to maximize the talent on the roster. So the question becomes: Is it smarter to blow up a successful defensive roster to allow Rex to try to reassemble the roster to reach out past level of performance with the current roster. Or does it make more sense to keep the roster that has proven it can be successful and remove the bloated loudmouth who can't get the job done?

My thinking is this: Two previous defensive coordinators proved that the current roster of defensive players is good enough to have tremendous success on defense. This year the performance was not as good because Rex refused to adjust his scheme to maximize the talent on the roster. So the question becomes: Is it smarter to blow up a successful defensive roster to allow Rex to try to reassemble the roster to reach out past level of performance with the current roster. Or does it make more sense to keep the roster that has proven it can be successful and remove the bloated loudmouth who can't get the job done?

Problem is we don't have a time machine to make Mario and Kyle young again. Mario is no longer an elite pass-rusher. He is just a guy that we pay 20 million to.

So you want to change the scheme away from Rex's strength to placate players that are past their prime? And yes, Kyle is old and often injured now.

Edited by jeffismagic

Rex Ryan is a proven loser. He has coached well over 100 NFL games as head coach and he still has a losing record. What else do you need to know?

Why all the love for Whaley? He paid triple what Charles Clay was worth. He paid double for Sammy Watkins and he has a coaching staff that refuses to pass him the ball. He was instrumental in drafting EJ Manuel in the 1st round. How many HUGE mistakes can he make before people see he has failed?

And most of all, the Bills likely extend their non-playoff streak to historic levels!!! Seriously, what else do you need to know?

Rex Ryan is a proven loser. He has coached well over 100 NFL games as head coach and he still has a losing record. What else do you need to know?

Why all the love for Whaley? He paid triple what Charles Clay was worth. He paid double for Sammy Watkins and he has a coaching staff that refuses to pass him the ball. He was instrumental in drafting EJ Manuel in the 1st round. How many HUGE mistakes can he make before people see he has failed?

And most of all, the Bills likely extend their non-playoff streak to historic levels!!! Seriously, what else do you need to know?

Yes, all we need to know. You are blaming people for things that happened before they got here.

Now to your other "points"

1.EJ. Nix decided to get a QB in a weak draft. Whaley setup the board. Are you saying he didn't setup the board correctly or that Nix wasn't really the GM?

2.Sammy Watkins. Without Sammy Watkins this team is hard to watch.

3.Your insight into coaching would force teams to go after a Dick Jauron after his 13-3 year with the Bears and not sign a losing coach like Belichick before he got Brady.

4. Your numbers on Clay are off. His cap hit this year and his average salary over contract length are two different things. Clay is certainly valuable and worth the approx 7.5 million he gets when you see what happened to the offense once he left the game. Both in the run and passing game.

5.You didn't bring up Whaley's most recent draft and off-season? Why not?!

I voted dump Rex and have said that for weeks knowing he will still be here next year. Really disappointed with this team and I believe it starts with him. A players coach my butt. I'm 70 and can't hang on much longer for our SB so we need to get it in gear. Make Kim the coach. I'm sure she wouldn't put up with 15 errows. Time to root for the Yankee's. Sad!

Dude, this is the dumbest post I've read in a while. His schemes don't work in the modern NFL? So what, the "modern NFL" consists of the 2015 season? Cause that's the only season his defense wasn't in the top 10 in the NFL. OK...you got me...they were 11th once with the Jets, but across the board other than that year and this year his defenses have been in the top 10, mostly top 5. I'd say 1/4 is players not comfortable in the scheme, 1/4 is players not buying into the scheme fully, and 1/2 is Rex doesn't have exactly the players he needs...I'd expect some changes on the D this offseason to get more of what Rex wants.

I think this is the essence of the problem.

I'd like to win as much as anyone, but I think that whenever you hire a new coach, the first year is a crapshoot. Let's give the coach a little more time (2 more years) to see what happens when he brings in the players he needs to run his defense/offense.

By the way, our offensive line is terrible. We need an upgrade of at least two players.

It'd be different if we hired someone with a proven record (say Bellichek). If he had a bad first year I'd cut him some slack. (Not that I'd ever want that cheater as a coach -- it was just an example...but I digress....)

But Rex is a loser. Was with the Jets, and is with the Bills.

That won't change...it'll just be another 2 years before we can try to move the team forward.

Does ANYONE reading this thread think he will turn this around and be "Mr. Winning Coach" for the Bills?

Frankly, I don't think the Pegulas believe it at this point either...

Have to give him 3-4 years. Starting new each year is nuts.

Conversely, holding onto the wrong guy for 3-4 years is also nuts (see Jauron).

Sure Kyle Williams is probably near the end of his career, but are we seriously discussing rebuilding a defensive front 7 that had 60 sacks last season? This most likely will require 2 to 3 years, which will probably push the playoff drought to 18 or 19 years. And do you trust Rex, with his recent track record to even pull this off?

The real question is what does Rex bring to the team. Is he able to take this team to the playoffs (which probably means beating the Patriots at least once), and ultimately, can he take a team to the Super Bowl.

I don't think he has it in him. Bowles is doing better with Rex's personnel from last year. Schwartz did better with Rex's current personnel last season. Put Rex in a room with those two guys, and he's the worst coach in the room.

3 or 4 years of Rex most likely means 19 to 20 years of no playoffs.

It's a hard decision, but the last thing Pegula should be concerned about is this unwritten rule that changing the front office frequently is insane. The pragmatic rule is that you change the front office until you find the right people. There has been more than enough evidence this season that Rex and his group are not the right people to lead the Bills anywhere close to the playoffs.

Job security of Doug Whaley, Rex Ryan among Bills' questions

As the Buffalo Bills get set to miss the playoffs again, some of the major questions in the offseason center around Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley's status.

Is Doug Whaley's job safe? That's tougher to tell. Whaley has been in his current position as general manager for three seasons, so there's a larger sample size to evaluate. The results have been mixed, and Ryan's influence also has muddled the process. Should Whaley get full credit for the selection of cornerback Ronald Darby, who Ryan likely eyed to help run his defense? Conversely, should Whaley bear the sole blame for the signing of Percy Harvin, who Ryan coached with the Jets and helped recruit to Buffalo? Ultimately, Whaley has helped assemble one of the NFL's better rosters, and Ryan's coaching staff hasn't drawn the full potential from the group. If Whaley loses his job or is relegated to a lesser role, he would have an argument that he didn't deserve it.

Conversely, holding onto the wrong guy for 3-4 years is also nuts (see Jauron).

Sure Kyle Williams is probably near the end of his career, but are we seriously discussing rebuilding a defensive front 7 that had 60 sacks last season? This most likely will require 2 to 3 years, which will probably push the playoff drought to 18 or 19 years. And do you trust Rex, with his recent track record to even pull this off?

The real question is what does Rex bring to the team. Is he able to take this team to the playoffs (which probably means beating the Patriots at least once), and ultimately, can he take a team to the Super Bowl.

I don't think he has it in him. Bowles is doing better with Rex's personnel from last year. Schwartz did better with Rex's current personnel last season. Put Rex in a room with those two guys, and he's the worst coach in the room.

3 or 4 years of Rex most likely means 19 to 20 years of no playoffs.

It's a hard decision, but the last thing Pegula should be concerned about is this unwritten rule that changing the front office frequently is insane. The pragmatic rule is that you change the front office until you find the right people. There has been more than enough evidence this season that Rex and his group are not the right people to lead the Bills anywhere close to the playoffs.

I agree completely. The Bills have a number of problems, but Rex is the major problem right now, the problem that makes all the other problems worse. He has to go.

I've been over Rex for quite a while, given the lack of character of this team and the penalties. I think Whaley also has made some poor decisions.

I'm ready to cut bait on both and start over...not sure who is out there now, or who might be available after the end of the season, but for me the team is definitely headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else ready to dump Rex and crew? Would love to hear opinions, and who else might be out there that could help.

Just hate to see us squandering the talent that is on this team with a coach and GM that can't cut the mustard.

If we are squandering this talented roster Whaley put together why do we fire Whaley?

Do you mind telling me what Whaley has done to deserve being fired? Because he's easily the best GM this team has had since John Butler.

Agreed!