POLL: Fire Rex and/or Whaley?

dtgolder

Should we fire Rex and Whaley?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pegulas release Rex and/or Whaley?

• Fire Rex now; keep Whaley
    • Fire Whaley now; keep Rex
    • Fire both Rex and Whaley
    • Keep both Rex and Whaley

You think that's the average?

Given the situation yes. Last year NE gifted us the ninth win after losing a game that mattered against the 3-13 Raiders. This year we got to play the two worst divisions in football in the NFC East and AFC South.

That's after having plenty of high draft picks and cap space to play with. So yeah, I think it's average.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the situation yes. Last year NE gifted us the ninth win after losing a game that mattered against the 3-13 Raiders. This year we got to play the two worst divisions in football in the NFC East and AFC South.

That's after having plenty of high draft picks and cap space to play with. So yeah, I think it's average.

You can't bring up circumstances, draft picks and cap space. He's judged by wins and loses only - remember?

You can't bring up circumstances, draft picks and cap space. He's judged by wins and loses only - remember?

I didn't say you could only look at those wins and losses in a vacuum without regard to context. A boxer is judged on wins and losses too, but that doesn't mean you ignore the quality of competition.

Ever since Garafalo's piece about Bills ownership not being happy about how the season has unfolded, I don't discount the one and done for Ryan whatsoever.

If he finishes worse than Marrone I think he is in trouble. He will probably have to fire all his assistants and I don't think he will agree to do that.

This for me is easy. I would have Rex clearing his office office tonight.

He has never had any control over this team. He personally cost the team a win with his lack of knowledge on when to challenge.

He has destroyed the best best defense the franchise (Whaley) has assembled.

I hate when people refer to him as a defensive genius. He is an an idiot.

Unfortunately, I am sure that DW will be the fall guy and Rex will be here with his childish antics for years to come.

Pathetic. I see a grim future.

Ryan isn't going to be fired, but Whaley might not make it. I think Whaley is good, Rex is bad.

Continuity is very important, so they need to work around that.

How about a new Defensive Coordinator, who is given lots of power? Groom him to take over while Ryan's contract runs on for a few years. Essentially, undermine Ryan, and just let him be the "player's coach". Ryan can do the interviews, handle the general duties of a head coach, and eat the chicken wings, and handle the parachuting, while the new up-and-comer molds the defense.

I think Marv Levy let his coordinators have pretty free reign. It would free up Rex to study up on game management decisions, so he could improve that weak aspect of his game.

That's why Levy had success, he let his coordinators do their thing. Levy was a very, very lousy coach, his coordinators and coaches made him. When Kansas City ran him out of town he was still trying to run the old triple T college formation. If you noticed his first year or two the Bills had a good D but their offense couldn't score.

Levy was smart enough to realize he didn't know jack shiit about offense so he let Marchibroda and Jim Kelly design a whole new offense. They threw all of Levy's dumb plays in the trash can and invented the NO HUDDLE. Marchibroda made that team not Levy. All Levy did on the sideline was decide whether they were going to accept a penalty or decline it. The other coaches did everything else.

I didn't say you could only look at those wins and losses in a vacuum without regard to context. A boxer is judged on wins and losses too, but that doesn't mean you ignore the quality of competition.

When a poster said he shouldn't be judged among many of his duties by hiring Ryan you said a GM is judged on wins and loses. I'm glad you agree that's not entirely true.

When a poster said he shouldn't be judged among many of his duties by hiring Ryan you said a GM is judged on wins and loses. I'm glad you agree that's not entirely true.

It is entirely true. You don't get a pass because fans think your roster is better than it is. You get judged on performance. And when you hire a team and a coaching staff you are responsible for the results.

Ever since Garafalo's piece about Bills ownership not being happy about how the season has unfolded, I don't discount the one and done for Ryan whatsoever.

If he finishes worse than Marrone I think he is in trouble. He will probably have to fire all his assistants and I don't think he will agree to do that.

He will finish WORSE than Marrone, that's a given. But nothing will happen this year. They just hired him and owe him a lot of guaranteed money. Ryan will be the coach next year, you can bet the ranch on that. There might be a few other moves like an assistant coach or GM but you're stuck with Ryan for at least another year. I know after 16 years of missing the post season that's the last thing you wanted to hear. A few more years of losing before they clean house and try to turn this abortion around.

Maybe it will make you feel better to know most people around the country pity Bills fans because they know what y gone through. Most people that don't have a favorite team will usually root for the Bills because they feel like no fans should be put through what Bills fans have. They feel like enough is enough. Give those Bills fans a break already, let them have a winning season for crying out loud. Those poor souls have suffered for close to 20 years. They haven't had a decent team since Jim Kelly retired.

Edited by ScrewyLouie

Rex's contract does make it difficult to dump him after only one season.

But given how the fan base has soured so quickly, I think it's entirely possible somebody could set up a Kickstarter or GoFundMe to raise enough cash to buy out the remainder of his contract

Someone please get a bill board started. I can't take much more of the Rex show . He Talks the Talk but he can't walk the walk.

"Get ready Bills fans, We're going" LOL

First of all, Whaley has been a GOOD GM. As far as Rex, he disappointed this year, no doubt. But would it shock anyone if he had them much improved next year? And if they fire Rex and another coach goes 8-8 again next year, what do we fire that coach too? Give me a break. Firing Rex would be a move that losing organizations make. Give him a year to draft a stud linebacker and put his own defense together. Plus it's a moot point because no coach gets fired after year 1 one of a lucrative 5 year contract.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

To those who'd choose to stay the course in the interest of consistency? I'm in. Making changes so soon is nothing more than impatience.

I understand what you're saying jhemmer. The Bills should stay consistent for the sake of being consistent. That's what you want ,, consistency, right? The Bills have been consistently losing for this entire century so they should stay consistent and keep the losing tradition going. The Bills have missed the post season for 16 seasons in a row. If they can show a little consistency, there's no reason why they can't get it to 20 years in a row. Maybe even more than 20 years. That would he a tough record for any team to break and the Bills could proudly hold on to that record for a very, very, very, LONG TIME! Let's go Bills! let's play consistently bad.

First of all, Whaley has been a GOOD GM. As far as Rex, he disappointed this year, no doubt. But would it shock anyone if he had them much improved next year? And if they fire Rex and another coach goes 8-8 again next year, what do we fire that coach too? Give me a break. Firing Rex would be a move that losing organizations make. Give him a year to draft a stud linebacker and put his own defense together. Plus it's a moot point because no coach gets fired after year 1 one of a lucrative 5 year contract.

Well the Bills ARE a losing organization so let's make the move and fire Rex! Even you said that's what losing organizations do, so let's fire the guy.

Yeah you keep firing the coaches until you get the right one! That's the guy who gets it right and wins. If a guy can't come in and win we don't need him. Any clown can come in and lose games.

Edited by ScrewyLouie

Not as depressing as watching the Bills play. The Jets were a disaster last season. Rex get fired and they do a complete turn around. The Bills were 9 - 7 last year with a playoff caliber defense and a crappy head coach. The odds of them going 8 - 8 this season is remote. The common denomination is Rex. I have seen enough. This team should have made the playoffs.

Exactly my feelings.

What report?

Add Russ Brandon to that poll

The Business Manager?? Off base dude. He hasn't touched football ops since 2009.

He's in charge of things like concessions, ticket sales, marketing etc.

This article will give you a better understanding http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2015/7/27/9047749/russ-brandon-president-buffalo-sabres-bills-kim-terry-pegula

Rex isn't getting fired after one year. I think there is potential for Whaley to not get an extension,because typically GMs get them before their contract is up and he didn't (yet). But he's here another year at least IMO. He probably didn't get one yet because the Pegulas didn't hire him and want to evaluate him first. So to me he is 50/50 to be done next year but I think both are back in 2016.

Probably right.

The poll is asking for opinion. I'm not sure the poll is indicating this or not. I think most realize he WON'T be fired......but he should.

This team is far from perfect but Rex and crew managed to screw this up royally. The AFC sucks and we STILL can't get in.