The NFL Has Formed a Committee to Fix the Catch Rule

26CornerBlitz

Polian, Philbin among personnel on NFL's new catch committee

The NFL's plan to fix the catch rule is starting to take shape.

A new six-member catch rule committee includes three coaches, a former executive, a former referee and a former wide receiver.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a league spokesman, the committee's purpose is to streamline and improve the catch rule. The personnel charged with this task includes the following:

Bill Polian (former NFL executive)

Ken Whisenhunt (coach/offensive coordinator)

Jim Schwartz (coach/defensive coordinator)

Joe Philbin (coach/offensive coordinator)

James Thrash (former wide receiver with Redskins, Eagles)

Tom Finken (former side judge)

The group will make a recommendation to the Competition Committee on how to improve the most perplexing rule in sports.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the current rule that you have to complete the catch all the way to the ground. Gives DBs another chance to make a play. The league is better the more DBs are given a chance to defend. One of the best rule changes in recent years is the force out. Now the DB can carry the coddled wideout straight out of bounds and is credited with a pass defended.

I think I caught a cold. Can these guys help me out?

After further review, you did not get both feet on the ground and complete the process of becoming ill while having complete control of the illness. The ruling on the field is overturned, you're healthy.

Yeah, but that wasn't in HD.

And that's the problem. Too many people think you can slice and dice life into perfect little units in HD and remove human judgement from the equation. No matter how clear the images or how many frames per second you can see, you can't.