Bills Release Mulligan and Promote O'Leary

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to worry about since teams can no longer line up over and obliterate Long Snappers.

Sandborn gets downfield on punts.

He's made few nice plays this year, as he always does; in addition to his "regular duties".

I do hope we have someone else with long snapping ability on the roster.

Yeah Mulligan draws double teams. :lol: Leave Clay wide open...No mistake there.

naw he did get attention then drive two guys to break it for Clay

Why would you, or any of us for that matter, with no access to closed practices?

maybe because mully has all the reps with the ones?

Snarky today aren't you 26?

Seems to me Nick must be making progress by leaps and bounds since training camp. and thats certainly possible. but. odd timing

Hard to know what his ceiling is from the PS. No one gets better there...

Mulligan has been shaky. Would have made sense to promote O'Leary if they wanted him to get a start at reaching his ceiling.

Shaky? you mean missed some blocks? or what?

Closing out the book on Mulligan: 4 penalties and one pass reception for 2 yards. His net offensive contribution was -38 yards. The coverage he drew on the TD was a mistake by the Texans. I have more yards than Mulligan.

and that great but he was a blocker

I looked at Mulligan as a shorter version of Scott Chandler. Also less talented, which some may find impossible to be.

No he was a blocker only a blocker. Chandler was hardly that. who are #youpeople. Scott is a tall gut who cant block or jump, but can fall forward exactly one yard after a catch

: )

he is more of a Lee Smith.

slightly less penalties.

IMO I would have ran a lineman in for Muligan and have him declare eligible. The Bills can still do this and liekly upgrade the blocking from the TE position.

Mulligan was never a passing threat anyways.

yep

Edited by 3rdand12

I am thinking of Mulligan, who was so overmatched that he held every part of Clowney's body, before then holding his neck and pulling him to the ground. That was the play where TT completed a great pass over the middle to Sammy, but it was called back for a hold.

But to be fair to both Mulligan and Gragg, putting a TE to block Clowney is a tough assignment.

They each had a bad hold on an edge rusher during the game.

What a kick in the nards for the guy who just helped set up the game winning TD just 2 days ago :flirt:

He also had a pretty pretty bad hold earlier in the game that backed them up at a critical time. Running a decoy route doesn't qualify someone as a keeper over a young guy who has good hands and a knack for finding soft spots in defenses. A like another TE on the roster as it appears Taylor is developing his feel for passing between the hashmarks. That will help greatly with wideouts and the run game.

He also had a pretty pretty bad hold earlier in the game that backed them up at a critical time. Running a decoy route doesn't qualify someone as a keeper over a young guy who has good hands and a knack for finding soft spots in defenses. A like another TE on the roster as it appears Taylor is developing his feel for passing between the hashmarks. That will help greatly with wideouts and the run game.

i knew a ward wettlaufer ....any relation ?

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: O'Leary is ready to play now. He's been phenomenal out here at practice.

@leoroth

Rex on adding TE O'Leary back to roster. 'He's ready to play now.'' On cutting Mulligan, part of business, but chance can bring him back.

@SalSports

There were teams interested in O'Leary, Rex doesn't confirm but hints that's why they signed him to roster.

Interesting. I know Mulligan has struggled with some things, but it seemed like the coaches liked him. Hope that means O'Leary has been showing improvement over time.

It only goes to show that what we may think is going on behind the scenes - and what the media says is going on behind the scenes - isn't terribly accurate.

Teams tried to sign away O’Leary

The Bills had sixth-round pick Nick O’Leary stashed on their practice squad all season, but as is the case this time of year, NFL clubs go hunting for players on other teams’ practice squads looking for future contributors to sign to their 53-man roster. Teams were doing that early in the week with O’Leary, which is what prompted the Bills to promote him to their active roster Tuesday.

Head coach Rex Ryan admitted as much on Wednesday.

So if you're O'Leary's agent, and you know that he's been doing well in practice, do you tell Whaley that you've been approached by one of the teams that lost a TE last weekend about signing O'Leary? Even if the agent just fabricates the story, is there any downside for his client? If the Bills don't elevate O'Leary, agent can always just say that the other team had a last minute change of heart and signed some other practice squad TE or street free agent TE to fill the injury hole.

So if you're O'Leary's agent, and you know that he's been doing well in practice, do you tell Whaley that you've been approached by one of the teams that lost a TE last weekend about signing O'Leary? Even if the agent just fabricates the story, is there any downside for his client? If the Bills don't elevate O'Leary, agent can always just say that the other team had a last minute change of heart and signed some other practice squad TE or street free agent TE to fill the injury hole.

That's not the way the process works.

I admit I don't know the specifics of the process. But does O'Leary's agent have to show any proof of the supposed "sniffing" to Bills management? If not, I would not put it past agents to lie about another's team's interest.

There are official channels of notification between the interested team and the team that would lose a player from their PS.

That's not the way the process works.

Kind of. What are you inferring to when you say that? The agent for the player would be approached by another team and make him an offer to sign him to their 53 and then the Bills would be notified.

There are official channels of notification between the interested team and the team that would lose a player from their PS.

That is if they make an official offer to the player's agent. I doubt an agent would lie about it to Whaley because it would be pretty easy to find out,