5 best and 5 worst current Bills

Henderson was a consideration, as was Butler (and I forgot IK). I don't think that I'm alone in thinking that EJ is one of the worst few players on the roster. He is a total liability when he is out there. This isn't a QB thread though. It simply asks your opinion on the best and worst players on the roster.

If I was to take someone off of my worst list it would be Boobie for his ST contributions. He's an awful RB but a pretty good STer.

Well said

It was a joke but, i honestly can't do a list there are excuses or there for everyone. This is a fun thread to read i really have nothing constructive to add to this one.

EJ has proven he can lose a game (and a season) all by himself. In a single quarter......

I wouldnt go THAT far. But, I tink this list should be starters. Obviously we can pick the backups... why not go on madden and sort the overall roster and pick the bottom 5.

Since you forced my hand

Best

Incognito

Watkins

McCoy

Hughes

Darby

Worst

Henderson

Felton

Woods

LB core

Fielders choice

When I think about the absolute clowns that EJ had as his coaches his first two years I can only think he was being developed by people who had no business running an NFL offense. Remember no QB coach his first year in the league. Now see how Greg Roman is game planning, calling plays for Tyrod Taylor in having him manage the game rather then force him to carry it with 40+ passes a game. I can't help but think that they might be some hope for EJ in all this.

Think back to the games EJ played in this year. Cincy 23 rushes vs 42 passes. Jacksonville 28 rushes vs 42 passing attempts with no Sammy! If the Bills defense could have stopped Bortles from driving 80 yards for the last score the Bills win that game.

Now look at Tyrod the games since the Jags game. Houston 36 rushes vs 21 attempts passing attempts, W. -KC 28 rushes vs 38 passing attempts, L.-Patriots 30 rushes vs 36 passing attempts, L. -Jets 33 rushes vs 27 passing attempts, W- Miami 36 rushes vs 12 passing attempts. Then the earlier games going backwards. Tenn 28 vs 18, W. Giants 28-42, L. Miami 34-29, W. NE 27 vs 30, L. Indy 36 vs 19, W

Clearly with a healthy McCoy, and run game working the Bills are far more productive on offense. When the Bills run more then they pass they have won every game. I also think this years offense with last years defense this years team would be 9-3.

I swear i didnt meant to dredge up the age long EJ deal. But that magic number 30 for tyrod is crazy. There is no way this is a coincidence. That is a model. I never realized and thought this over 30 deal was an anomaly. I thought it was insane to have a backup throw 40 passes regardless of who he was. But damn man. That is a wacky stat. Lol wow

You may have forgotten that the Bills were playing from behind in both the Jax and Cincy games and had to start airing it out...

Love the EJ apologizing though. Bottles has looked like he is making progress under the clowns that you reference .

Actually... no. We all said hackett could have been the qb coach. NOT OC and Marrone is a line ASSISTANT and has nothing to do with Bortles. He is coming along nicely though

Edited by Agent 91

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I think about the absolute clowns that EJ had as his coaches his first two years I can only think he was being developed by people who had no business running an NFL offense. Remember no QB coach his first year in the league. Now see how Greg Roman is game planning, calling plays for Tyrod Taylor in having him manage the game rather then force him to carry it with 40+ passes a game. I can't help but think that they might be some hope for EJ in all this.

Think back to the games EJ played in this year. Cincy 23 rushes vs 42 passes. Jacksonville 28 rushes vs 42 passing attempts with no Sammy! If the Bills defense could have stopped Bortles from driving 80 yards for the last score the Bills win that game.

Now look at Tyrod the games since the Jags game. Houston 36 rushes vs 21 attempts passing attempts, W. -KC 28 rushes vs 38 passing attempts, L.-Patriots 30 rushes vs 36 passing attempts, L. -Jets 33 rushes vs 27 passing attempts, W- Miami 36 rushes vs 12 passing attempts. Then the earlier games going backwards. Tenn 28 vs 18, W. Giants 28-42, L. Miami 34-29, W. NE 27 vs 30, L. Indy 36 vs 19, W

Clearly with a healthy McCoy, and run game working the Bills are far more productive on offense. When the Bills run more then they pass they have won every game. I also think this years offense with last years defense this years team would be 9-3.

He's dead.

He's been a real disappointment this season. Considered by many the best blocking FB in the League (I think he made a Pro Bowl w/ the Vikes) and a big reason for AP's early HOF career, his complete whiffs are easily spotted on almost every run that goes nowhere. Especially frustrating when his responsibility leading the runner is the 1st guy breaking containment.. It's to the point now that I'm specifically watching him on run plays to see if its just unfortunate happenstance or he's just not very good. He can lay the lumber but it seems only if he has a clear view at his main objective.

Agreed. At first I thought it was primarily the scheme roman was running and he wasn't fit for it, and maybe a little bit is that, but he still struggles with making pretty simple blocks. I really hope he doesn't get much more playing time this year

I think it depends on how you define best and worst.

I took it and defined it as only using players who actively see regular time. Guys like Gay were factored in what he brings to the field. Not fielding touchback more often means he is on the worst. When he touches the ball orrnsees timem he is not a factor to our success. Henderson is there, as well but not truly the world on the team.

The best make the most and make a difference.

I took it and defined it as only using players who actively see regular time. Guys like Gay were factored in what he brings to the field. Not fielding touchback more often means he is on the worst. When he touches the ball orrnsees timem he is not a factor to our success. Henderson is there, as well but not truly the world on the team.

That is kind of how it was intended. I tried to use guys that at least played some. It wasn't really clear though. IK is a great example. He has played a bunch and isn't good. Mulligan is (or was) a guy like that. Cyrus has been given a few chances and can't play. I really don't want to judge someone that hasn't played.

It also wasn't meant to be "where a player is vs. expectations." It is simply who are the 5 best and 5 worst football players that have been on the field.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My 5 best:

1 - LeSean McCoy. He looks to be back to 100% and is the most dynamic guy on the field.

2 - Sammy Watkins. His mantra to Tyrod has to be "just throw the ball in my direction". Last two weeks have been awesome.

3 - Ronald Darby. He's been the most consistent pass defender. Gilmore is good, but I think this kid is better.

4 - Marcel Dareus. I only include him here as a run stopper. Still don't understand having him drop into coverage. Makes no damned sense.

5 - Richie Incognito. Glenn is doing a good job, but I think it's because he has Richie next to him.

My 5 worst:

1 - Dan Carpenter. It's all mental. Just can't be missing as many extra points as he has.

2 - Mario Williams. His forte is pass rushing and he has a total of 3 sacks through 11 games. Not good.

3 - John Miller. I thought he might be a bright spot, but recently has had some terrible beats. He's got to get it together.

4 - Jerry Hughes. I don't think anyone has as many offsides penalties as he does. I get that he's urgent to get to the passer, but just awful.

5 - Rex Ryan. I almost feel like the Bills win in spite of the coaching. He recognizes that defensive play calling is suspect and then just repeats what he did the week before. When all is said and done, the Bills are losing to the good teams and beating the bad to average ones. Not a good formula for the playoffs.

I thought that it would be fun to do something a little different. Who are the best 5 players on the roster and who are the worst 5 players on the roster? There are LOTS of ways that you can go. There are certain guys that I had a hard time leaving off.

I'll go first:

Best:

McCoy

Watkins

Incognito

Darby

Dareus

Worst:

Cyrus

Boobie

Gragg

EJ

Carpenter

Taylors 104.2 QB rating puts him in the top 5 - I would remove Darby even though he is having a stellar year. I also dont think EJ Is bottom 5 - insert Ron Brooks in his place. Edited by billsfan_34

A lot of Darby in the top 5, but I prefer Gilmore. Darby has looked mortal the last couple of weeks, though he's been better than we ever could have imagined this season (also, he's just a rookie so that's nice).

Top 5:

1.) McCoy

2.) Watkins

3.) Dareus

4.) Incognito

5.) Tyrod (he's not the best talent but I think he's one of most valuable players given what we look like without him)

honorable mentions: Cordy, Wood, Darby, Karlos, Hughes (the penalties are awful, though)

Bottom 5

1.) EJ

2.) Duke Williams

3.) John Miller

4.) IK

5.) Carpenter

how can you not have Carpenter on the list for his play this year?

His missing of the extra point in KC might be a major factor in why the Bills could miss the playoffs.

IF Carpenter was a DB who got burnt as many times as he has missed extra points, you would all have him on your list. He needs to go. He can get a job as a Kid Rock impersonator.

You may have forgotten that the Bills were playing from behind in both the Jax and Cincy games and had to start airing it out...

Love the EJ apologizing though. Bottles has looked like he is making progress under the clowns that you reference .

Taylor was also put in those situations, and also lost.

Personally IDGAF if EJ stays or goes. For the team I know that the first round pick on EJ might not have been wasted if he can sit, watch, and learn like Taylor did with the Ravens.

My point was that those first two years with Buffalo were wasted in terms of his development because of the offensive coaching ineptitude by Buddy Hackett, and Maroon.

Personally IDGAF if EJ stays or goes. For the team I know that the first round pick on EJ might not have been wasted if he can sit, watch, and learn like Taylor did with the Ravens.

My point was that those first two years with Buffalo were wasted in terms of his development because of the offensive coaching ineptitude by Buddy Hackett, and Maroon.

Hmmm. So you are saying that EJ's accuracy and pocket awareness would have magically improved if he sat on the bench for a few years ? =) So maybe the Bills can trade him then to another QB needy teem.

I understand what you're saying of course. You could also say the worst don't play a lot.

Not quite correct - Marrone is the line coach and assistant Head Coach, he is not an assistant line coach.

Ah my bad

4 straight years behind someone who has been there before and with a qb coach. He may have been better. You have to let youngsters either watch. Or learn on the job. We did neither. F for us

Hmmm. So you are saying that EJ's accuracy and pocket awareness would have magically improved if he sat on the bench for a few years ? =) So maybe the Bills can trade him then to another QB needy teem.

You seem to forget that EJ played really well in the first two games last year when the Bills ran more then they threw the ball. That same formula is working for Tyrod Taylor this year, and when the Bills have forced the QB to carry the game by throwing more then they run it they have lost every game no matter who the QB is...or does the hate for EJ cloud the mind?

On another note there is no question that the right side of the O line is much worse off with either Henderson or Kouandjio in there at RT. So much so that a guy off the waiver wire looked so much better against the #7 defense, and Urbik is better then Miller. Then he is not someone I'd want at RG all year either.

Carpenter is having a tough year, but I'm not ready to give up on him.

5 - Rex Ryan. I almost feel like the Bills win in spite of the coaching. He recognizes that defensive play calling is suspect and then just repeats what he did the week before. When all is said and done, the Bills are losing to the good teams and beating the bad to average ones. Not a good formula for the playoffs.

There is talk of not re signing Whaley if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Does Rex have someone else in mind to be the new GM to cater to his needs?

I know that Rex wanted Tyrod Taylor who has been brilliant at times, and he also vouched for Richie Incognito who also has been a major improvement at LG. The simple fact in my mind is this years run first offense with McCoy, and last years defense and this team is 9-3 or better while contending for the division title.