QB Open Competion This Pre-season May Cost Bills Playoffs

Rico

Looking back now, what a waste of time that was. While it's true that a lot of high-profile players were out back then, TT should've gotten a lot more work. Rex should've named him the starter Day 1, that's who he wanted. I think the additional experience with this O could've made a difference in at least 1 of the losses this year.

He was not the clear cut starter day 1. Several days Manuel had better practices and even a preseason game. Roman's offense did not show to be that ideal for Taylor, as it was complex and intricate.

Cassel could have easily been the starter for this team had we not been able to pass the ball successfully down the field and needed a game manager. Manuel could have been the QB is we showed a less mobile line and just need a QB to chuck it or hand off. But, we got Taylor throwing it all over the field and successfully playing QB.

Day 2, I was at SJF and thought that TT was the man and that meh was being outperformed by EJ. In the end, it would have been advantageous to have given the job to TT earlier, but it was also wise to make a competition for the job to show that every man needs to earn his keep.

Day 2, I was at SJF and thought that TT was the man and that meh was being outperformed by EJ. In the end, it would have been advantageous to have given the job to TT earlier, but it was also wise to make a competition for the job to show that every man needs to earn his keep.

At the very least though, I would've named him starter before the 1st pre-season game and played him all 1st-halfs + 3rd Q of game 3 & given him all the 1st-team reps from that point.

Looking back now, what a waste of time that was. While it's true that a lot of high-profile players were out back then, TT should've gotten a lot more work. Rex should've named him the starter Day 1, that's who he wanted. I think the additional experience with this O could've made a difference in at least 1 of the losses this year.

What ???? :bag:

This is an odd theory. Who's to say the competition didn't make Tyrod better?

It may have... a lot of it is hindsight now, considering how bad the other 2 QBs have looked in the regular season in comparison... plus I think/hope TT is on the verge of turning the corner, he may have turned it sooner.

. plus I think/hope TT is on the verge of turning the corner, he may have turned it sooner.

I think TT has much more upside and potential than any QB since RJ and JP (Yech I know). At the very least when he is out there as a fan you have the confidence that he can make something happen good. To your point Rico, more time and rep's can only help

This is an odd theory. Who's to say the competition didn't make Tyrod better?

Because it's not really a competition. Sitting down and getting fewer reps never makes you better. A QB can't get better just because he really wants to be the starter. He gets better with repetition.

But how could they possibly have just handed Taylor the reigns? If anyone knew he was going to be this good, he would've been much more sought-after than he was. He was an unknown.

I mean, I told vic carrucci Tyrod would be our starter the day he was signed, and I bought his jersey in early May, but most figured I was just crazy. :lol:

I'm going to add some speculation to this, since it is my thread. :D

I say that:

1. When Rex was hired, one of the points that Whaley brought up was that there needed to be an open QB competition. He couldn't get away with insisting that EJ be made the starter going in, but he did insist that he needed a chance to win the job.

2. Rex agreed to this, knowing fully well the day that TT was signed that TT was going to be the starter.

3. The open competition turned out to be a charade, solely there to make DW happy. As long as TT looked halfway-decent, he was going to be the starter, regardless of what the other 2 did. And since EJ looked good in the pre-season games, DW was none-too-pleased with the result.

And I say that the Bills would've been much better off if Rex named TT the starter a whole lot sooner.

Edited by Rico

I'm going to add some speculation to this, since it is my thread. :D

I say that:

1. When Rex was hired, one of the points that Whaley brought up was that there needed to be an open QB competition. He couldn't get away with insisting that EJ be made the starter going in, but he did insist that he needed a chance to win the job.

2. Rex agreed to this, knowing fully well the day that TT was signed that TT was going to be the starter.

3. The open competition turned out to be a charade, solely there to make DW happy. As long as TT looked halfway-decent, he was going to be the starter, regardless of what the other 2 did. And since EJ looked good in the pre-season games, DW was none-too-pleased with the result.

And I say that the Bills would've been much better off if Rex named TT the starter a whole lot sooner.

1, 2, 3 Stretch! 2,3,4 Stretch!